In case you are wondering if upgrades are worth it

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

In case you are wondering if upgrades are worth it

I have reopened one of my houses after one year long term rental due to the pandemic. Originally I did not do much with it. I did not know if it would bring much money. Most of the furniture was from second hand store, paint was pretty bad throughout. It looked "tired". I had perfectly fine reviews (until the first months of the pandemic when everyone was unhappy, it was the way of life). I have reopened it with all brand new furniture, black and white theme on the first floor, theme to each bedroom, fresh paint throughout, all matching dishes etc. It has a dishwasher, washer and dryer, tv, back yard, fireplace. My second review, third day into the property being open: "Would stay here for location only. If you prefer amenities and decor, stay elsewhere". My verdict: no value to upgrades. Only add what you can charge for and only fix when there is no other way. Happy people will leave good reviews for a dump and unhappy people will find something wrong with a designer mansion

22 Replies 22
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 Ugh. Here’s hoping some normal guests are headed your way. Went to have a peek at that review and was reminded of the guest who basically said that good quality trash bags = a good time. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Don't get discouraged. You just had the bad luck to get a guest who would leave a ridiculous review like that first. Hopefully the next guests will be suitably appreciative. Your response to her review was perfect.

BTW, I know Alexandra is co-hosting for you, but it's a little disconcerting to see her profile photo on your posts. For a minute there, I thought wow, Inna looks so different, what did she do to herself 🙂

@Sarah977 It is of course ridiculous that our guests can get away with having no picture or a picture of a toaster and I am "stuck" without being able to add my own to the community board. I would need to create a separate community board profile I guess to do it. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Stay strong @Inna22@Colleen253  & @Sarah977  are right. The complainers or half empty glasses, will always be…..

The half full glasses are the guests we all want. 

So maybe that should be a new guest booking question? On joining or if on the platform for awhile, they all have to answer “Are you a half empty glass  or a half full glass” kind of person.

So when we get requests, enquiries or bookings, an icon can be alongside the initial of their name. A glass with an arrow up, or a glass with an arrow pointing down. 

Wouldn’t that cut to the chase and sort through things! Lol……

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You know how magazines have those silly quizes that you answer multiple choice questions on, then add up the As, Bs, Cs, etc. so you can get classified as this or that sort of person? People seem to love those.

Maybe we should come up with a quiz that we send to guests when they inquire or request, the results of which would classify guests, depending on their answers, as to what sort of guest they are likely to be.

Like:

You just checked into your Airbnb a half hour ago, had a shower and a snack and are planning to spend the rest of the evening at home. The next thing you are likely to do is:

A. Watch a movie on Netflix.

B. Look under all the furniture to check if there are any dust bunnies.

C. Sit down and read through the house manual to familiarize yourself with how everything in the house works and where to find things.

D. Text some friends and invite them over.

E. Call the host to ask for the Wifi code.

The host has just sent you a message asking if you checked in okay, found everything you needed, and to please call if you need anything or find something amiss. You :

A. Ignore the message. You booked an entire place so you shouldn't have to relate to the host.

B. Can't be bothered to answer right now, you'll do it tomorrow if you remember.

C. Message back "Thanks, all's well. Nice place."

D. Never look at your Airbnb messages unless you need something from the host.

E. Message back "What's the Wifi code?"

Oh @Sarah977 .lol….

Don’t mention the dust bunnies or they’ll all look! 🤣

This is hilarious and should be published somewhere

I love the kitchen. But before I comment my question is - are your photos of the house current? Or before the top to bottom remodel. I wasn't sure what I was looking at in that listing.

@Christine615 the pictures are old. Still trying to decide if I need new pictures. The kitchen is the same. 

@Inna22 

You definitely need new pictures ASAP. You said in your response to the guest that you upgraded but the photos don't reflect it for potential guests who might be considering booking.

@Christine615 I am fully booked and I think I would rather have people pleasantly surprised. I am crazy busy at my day job so this might have to wait. Plus I am opening the other half of that building back up in August so maybe I will get someone to do the entire house at once. 

@Inna22 

understood. I gues what I’m saying is that your last guest was not pleasantly surprised snd you haven’t given the Community boards anything to judge your comments by except older photos. How about post here so we can have context.

Good idea. I am out of town during the next over so it will be in a week or so

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Inna22   So your home has change but since you did not show the changes on the listing as yet and you are booked, I would agree that you are not getting good return on your decorating efforts.  Still, pride of ownership can be a return.  That, and any tax write off to the income.  I wrote off all my changes including renovating the guest bathroom and an optional bedroom, which then contributed to the equity in my home and enjoyment of it.  While I get compliments on my decor, I don't think it is a primary reason someone books the space.