Include informational stars on out of host control (location) that do not affect superhost status

Maya63
Level 6
Olivebridge, NY

Include informational stars on out of host control (location) that do not affect superhost status

I am not concerned about a star system that holds hosts responsible for those things hosts can do something about.

I am concerned about including items that a host has no control over, such as the location or how difficult it is for a particular guest to find a place in the middle of the night on a country road in the boonies. A guest may give a stunningly set home with mountain views near wonderful local hiking a 3 star rating on location for being hard to find, or being farther away from something than they thought.

I think they should have "informational ratings" that do not affect the hosts superhost status, as things that are not in our control, ratings that give guests information that may help them in their choices. That way guests know specifics about the listing that are important in decision making and do not affect a hosts status as a superhost.

Also if a host discloses any issues, they should not be penalized for a guest not being willing to read the listing thoroughly.

I know Airbnb can do it.

19 Replies 19
Maya63
Level 6
Olivebridge, NY

I like that idea!

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The location rating, should be asked thus: -

5 stars - the listing location description is accurate and meets your expectations

4 stars - the listing location description is mostly accurate and mostly meets your expecations

3 stars - the listing location description is poor and partly  meets your expections

2 stars - the listing location description is very poor and does not meet your expectations

1 star - the listing location description is not at all accurate or meet expectations 

@Stephen0

I like the first part of the sentence of your rating idea. I believe that the second part, where human choice comes into play in your ratings suggestion would not fix the issue, which is human's self centered focus on "what I want" versus "what was offered." People will still base their ratings on their own idea of what they should have gotten, regardless of what the listing stated.

Better to have it state the location listing was accurate.... and leave out the expectations part. Expectations are bigger in many minds than reality is.

Tif1
Level 6
Borlänge, Sweden

Totally agree. I have had 5 star ratings for all bookings on everything except the last 3. 4 for location.  All of which were young thirty something couples. I cannot be more clear that we are close to a ski resort (15 minutes) that being the main attraction of our place, and that otherwise it is in a village with no immediate shops or entetainment and is aimed at people who want a relaxing break (with log fires, huge bathroom with sauna and jacuzzi bath) . The description is 100% accurate as to how far it is to walk to the woods and yet, they gave 5 stars for everything, glowing reviews but 4 for location. It is frustrating beyone belief, because ski season is the main draw for us, but it potential customers see that we have a 'crappy' review for location they may assume that it is to do with the proximity to the ski resort,     For fluffs sake, it is infuriating.  If they have to keep the location star it should be 'location as described'

not ' location i wish it was in because then it is perfect for ME'

Margaret592
Level 1
Dingestow, United Kingdom

Last night I was 5 star. Tonight I am 4.75, because my guest gave me a 4 star rating on location.

Fabulous 5 star write up on everything else, but said I was "out of the way".

I am 2 miles from dual carriageway network, 2 miles from nearest village with shops, pubs, restaurant and castle.

Listing states I am rural and 2 miles to village etc.

I cannot say anything else in my listing. Listing shows an aerial view and other properties.

One person's view of "out of the way" should not impinge on location rating, when all relevant details are in the listing.