Income from Airbnb and Unemployment Benefits

Bob22
Level 1
Boston, MA

Income from Airbnb and Unemployment Benefits

Never thought I'd be discussing this topic, but after 29 years of working with the same firm I was laid off. Now, I am wondering, does my Airbnb income constitute employment income, or just rental income, and does need to be reported to the state unemployment center as employment income? Thought I'd seek out free advice before emailing my tax consultant.

Thanks all!

26 Replies 26
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Bob22 Seems to me it would be classified as rental income. But free advice is worth what you pay for it. I'd still ask an accountant.

Jonathan89
Level 1
Northglenn, CO

Any update on this? I'm in the same situation. 

Judy97
Level 4
Marblehead, MA

This just happened to me as well, so if anyone has some information it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hey guys

Details are here in BNB's help section.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/481/how-do-taxes-work-for-hosts

In general most issues are covered in the help section on BNB's website or here on the Community Forums,

You can use the search function to find if your question has been answered.

Beth92
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I spoke to someone at the California Unemployment benefits center. She felt it would be classified as passive income. From what I could tell there wasn't a policy on it, which surprises me given the economic climate.

Maria-And-David1
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

Hi Bob!

I am currently in the same situation as you were once in, in regards to collecting unemployment benefits while receiving income from AirBNB. I have been doing my research but I'm getting mixed responses. I figured I would test my luck with you since I seem to be over a year late on the forum. Thanks!!

Hi all!  I know this is a rather old thread, but I find myself in the situation you were once all in.  I am a relatively new airbnb host (9 months) in the state of Florida and trying to figure out how to go about filing for unemployment benefits and accounting for airbnb income.  If anyone is out there in the airbnb community and can lend some advice it would be greatly appreciated!  

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

There is no social secutity due on rental property profits, so it does not effect unemployment. It's also not a stable income, but passive. 

It's passive income, not considered a "business" revenue or job. You don't pay SS benefits on it. I think  it doesn't count as it isn't your employment income or your job income.

Cara49
Level 1
Morristown, NJ

I’m in the same position, also in MA. I just called UI and they said “it is NOT considered “wages” so you don’t have to report it to MA UI”. I know you are taxed on the income via a 1099 at the end of the year, but that is apparently different “income” from a UI perspective. Yay for less UI paperwork!

Thank you, Cara! I reported it for a couple of weeks and it didn't seem to affect my benefits, so your information appears to be accurate.

Brett128
Level 2
Rock Hill, SC

Related, but different...I just check with the Social Security office and they verified that AirBnB income does NOT count toward your income (earned income) that is limited until you turn 66.

Jose649
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Hi all, I have the same concern. It is obvious that is a payment you received due to a service, hosting. But it is considered earning per Unemploymen office? still on the doubt..

Dear All, 

Rental from Airbnb are not considered Earning. I have called and confirmed by the Unemployment office in Florida.

Hope this helps for future.