Inconsiderate guest and doesn't follow rules

Stephanie165
Level 2
North Springfield, VA

Inconsiderate guest and doesn't follow rules

I have a guest that leaves ALL lights on constantly and leaves water running.  He has had unregistered guests and got mad at ME when I caught him.  He acts like this is a dorm or hotel room, not someone's house.  He laughed when I talked to him, like it's a joke I don't appreciate water running or lights on 24/7.  He's here another month and I can't take it that long.  I also don't know how to document any of this to keep some or all of his security deposit as my bills are showing higher (in terms of use, not dollar value as that does fluctuate) already that the month before he was here or last year when I also had 2 guests.

Thanks, looking forward to what others say.  

14 Replies 14
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Stephanie165First, if you haven't already, I would re-iterate the conversation you had with him verbally on Airbnb messaging. Say something like, "As per our conversation today," and fill in the rest. Remind him that extra unregistered guests are not allowed, and that lights and water should be turned off when not in use. If you haven't spelled out these rules clearly on your listing, I would add it now. That way, if you do have to resolve anything through Airbnb, it will be properly documented. He may take it more seriously if it's in writing also.

You are unlikely to get any extra money for utilities through Airbnb. If you ask the guest to pay you extra and he agrees, that's about the only way you'll get money. The damage deposit is really reserved for damage, like broken furniture, scratched floors, etc. and it can even be difficult to claim for that. 

If you're not comfortable continuing to host this guest, I would call Airbnb and let them know you would like to cancel the rest of the stay. Make sure you have already sent him a message re-iterating the rules before you try that, though. 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Has the guest broken any specific house rules?  Can this be documented?  If so then you can send the proof to abnb and they can have the guest removed.  But it's your call, you may have to refund the remainder of the money for the stay, depending again on the house rules that are broken.

I agree with the advice to send messages using the AIRBNB messaging site.   Then customer service can see your concerns and how you are addressing them with this guest.   I had an experience where a future guest's behavior raised some questions (they wanted to bring a space heater! aka the #1 cause of fires in homes.)    The conversation with CS focused on how clear my own policies are.   They could see my correspondence and my tone of civility and respect.   I now have added to my policies a clause that states I can terminate a reservation at any time if I feel my safety or the safety of my property is at risk.   I haven't' tested this yet, but I have put it in writing.   Care of home and self comes before $ and is the energy saving solution for me.

Stephanie165
Level 2
North Springfield, VA

Yes, they are in the house rules and everything is in writing too.  So sounds like I'm covering my bases.

Does Airbnb allow removal of a guest without refunding the rest of their stay?  Or partial refunds? B/c obviously it hasn't been listed as having these dates open.

start by calling CS.  If you are simply uncomfortable with them in your home then they may decide to give them a refund for the unused nights.  But if the guest is in clear documented violation of your rules then they "should" only give them a refund based on your cancellation policy.  So if your settings are strict they shouldn't give them a refund.  Although they will most likely try and negotiate some sort of settlement.   If you really want them to leave I'd contact CS right away and at least get the conversation started.  Because if they contact them first and make some preemptive complaint about you...things could go the other way.

Thanks.  I'll be calling tomorrow when he's at work.  I need to find the number but hopefully that's easy.  And good point about me calling first.  Thanks for the help!  In all the years I've done this, Airbnb guests have always been so much better than finding renters through other sources.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

NO!! Abb will certainly allow you to have this guest moved if you complain enough. But regardless of your cancellation policy or their rules violations or bad attitude abb will not “fine” the guest and allow you to keep any of the money for the days they don’t stay. They stay and you get paid or they go and you don’t. Having them leave may still be your best move

@Stephanie165 If you haven't already, I would suggest to send a message thru ABB messenger reiterating the points you talked to him about, mentioning that you found the way he reacted to your request very disrespectful - as a host, you were serious about these rules and this is nothing to "joke" or "laugh" about, and that you do expect him to  follow rules, no exceptions. I think sending this message to the guest before contacting ABB CS is important. And I do agree it's better that you contact ABB CS first to get it "on the record".

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Why do you think you can kick him out and then get paid for the remaining unearned days?

Alot of hosts would make alot of money if we did this! We could earn Double! or Triple! just by kicking guests out, keeping their money and then turning around a re-rent it.

Why do you stress about this? 

Kick him out. Free up your calendar for better guests. Live stress free.

Stephanie165
Level 2
North Springfield, VA

I rent to interns in the summer and our county rules limit how much we can rent out for short times, so longer rentals are best for me.  Don't judge me based on me asking about money, you don't know my situation, I have high morals, and I've rented successfully for YEARS on here without any issue like this.  Finding another renter now likely won't happen and I was going to plan to keep it unrented the remainder of his term if paid, so I wanted to know all my options.  ABB hasn't messaged back and no one answered phones for 2 days, so I wait.  I appreciate the advice, I don't appreciate the negative assumptions towards me.  🙂

Stephanie165
Level 2
North Springfield, VA

Also, it's all documented through ABB messaging.  And he hasn't been home since he left Tuesday morning but my other guest is, and all the lights and water have been off the entire time... nothing left on.  I noted that to ABB too.  Hoping for something soon.

Maricarmen54
Level 2
Caguas, Puerto Rico

Hi I am a new host and I have my second guests right now.    My house rules make clear no smoking or alcohol.  My entire apartment stinks cigarette smoke.  They denied smoking in the room, but she answered she will odor spray.   They have 4 more nights.  Can I ask them to leave because they are breaking the rules?  I am getting sick of the cigarettes smell.  I have had to open windows and doors

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Late in the game here on this old conversation, but I recently had two men stay with me from India who were leaving all the lights on, all the fans, and would leave the water in the sink running constantly.  I was very direct about it and spoke to them.  They *claimed* it was a cultural misunderstanding, mainly that they grew up in houses where people left the water running to brush teeth and clean for large families,  the fans and lights they said they honestly hadn't been paying attention.

I don't really believe the part about the water but I made it clear they could not stay in the home if they were running water at all hours and racking up my water bill.  They stopped this practice and might extend with me now, so who knows what they were really thinking.