Incorrect Enquiry

Lucinda26
Level 1
Spreyton, Australia

Incorrect Enquiry

Hi, just wondering if anyone else encounters this problem. I have had a few people request ‘two people, one night’ enquiries but then send a message saying they are three people and want to stay for 1-3 months! My profile clearly states I only have the two beds and can’t really have three, plus I’m not looking for long term stays. So by them lying to me, I have to decline their request which makes me look bad! I don’t like having to decline people but it’s not fair when they think I’ll be a rental. 

8 Replies 8
Dawn40
Level 1
Suitland-Silver Hill, MD

When I have to decline a guest, I let them know I can't accommodate them for whatever reason, and leave it up to them to decline on their end. It doesn't affect you to leave them as an inquiry once you respond. Make sure your house rules are very detailed so when people do that, you can immediately refer to your rules.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

When you decline an inquiry, @Lucinda26, you would select the reason is that the guest is asking for dates other than originally requested.  This does not affect you in any way.  I think it is a guest strategy to send many inquiries to many hosts just to get a host to respond.  Once there is a response then they ask more specifically.  Unfortunately the system requires the potential guest to enter specific dates rather than just send a message to the host.  I think this is a more recent change as previously a potential guest could ask a question without entering dates.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Lucinda26. I am using the settings of maximum stay, and I often get inquiries about long-term stays, which I don't do. So I choose the option of dates mismatch when rejecting a request.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Lucinda26, if the guest is merely sending an Inquiry (as opposed to a Reservation Request), all you have to do to fulfill your obligation as a host is to send a message back in reply. You do NOT have to Decline it.

So to be clear, if your button options are "Pre-Approve" or "Decline", it is just an Inquiry, and all you have to do is send back a message. You do not have to push either the "Pre-Approve" or "Decline" button.

For every single Inquiry I have ever received, I have always just responded with a message and have never once had to push the "Decline" button. My response rate is 100%.

I also contacted AirBnB host support and asked them to verify this is true, and they said yes. All you have to do is send back a message.

Ditto, that's what I do, just answer the inquiry, don't decline or pre-approve. It does take up time to answer these inquiries, when often the person is just scouting, or trying to see if you'll let them book for longer or more people than your settings are set to. But I figure giving them a nice response might mean they'll book with me the next time when their trip length and # of guests matches my criteria.

Some guests never respond, some thank me for answering and say nice things. One guy recently asked if I'd consider 3 months, even though my settings are for 2 week maximum. But he was so polite, such a good communicator, and had such great reviews that I said I'd be willing to book him for a month and maybe he could look for something else in person when he got here.  He actually found the time frame he was looking for in another listing and was respectful enough to get back to me to tell me that.

I just got a request from the guest requesting 3 nights stay but air b&b' calender had 10 nights blocked out?? I'm not sure where to go to contact someone to let them know what's happening???

@Patsy19, are you sure the nights blocked out are because of this request?

Did you receive any other requests?

If you go to your Host Dashboard and click on the "View all reservations" button, it will show you all your reservations. (To make things easier, they are in reverse calendar order.)

Look at the dates of the various reservations. They should match up with any dates that are filled in your calendar.

If there are any dates that are blocked off but NOT part of any reservation: perhaps did you block some dates manually to give yourself some days off from hosting?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Also, since guests have to enter dates in order to make an inquiry, they will sometimes put in dates which are only approximate to the time they want to travel. Many have not yet booked their plane tickets, as they want to ensure they have a suitable place lined up before they make that flight committment. It's a juggling act getting all their ducks in a row.