Increase in long term rental requests

Angel4607
Level 1
Hawthorne, CA

Increase in long term rental requests

In the last few days I have received 4 requests for long term rentals of 30 days or more from people claiming to be medical professionals.  Furthermore, several have wanted steep discounts or have pets, which I don't allow.  Has anybody else seen an increase in these requests?  How do you know the guest is a true medical professional?  Isn't it imperative to have a strict lease agreement for long term stays?  In these difficult economic times it's hard not to be reminded of potential squatters.  With California's strict tenancy laws, I'm afraid to open myself up to problems and I dont trust ABNB to help if things go wrong.  Any insight is much appreciated.

4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

There is an Airbnb program en force right now that COVID First Responders can use to find housing.  They sign up and are vetted by Airbnb.  Meanwhile, you can sign up as a host for this, either for free or for your normal rate.  Then the vetted guests will presumably get matched up with you.  You should tell your potential guests to sign up through that avenue, and then you will know that they have been vetted.  Here is the link to sign up as a host:

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings?bulk_edit=COVID_19_HOSTING

Here is the link to sign up as a guest:

https://www.airbnb.com/dynamic_flows/covid19relief_guests_info/190286753

- Pat

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angel4607 @Pat271  I would hope they would vet those who are looking for housing as first responders, and other medical and essential service personnel better than they do for their Open Homes program. Hosts have signed up on that program in the past to offer housing for those affected by fires, hurricanes, etc, and yet ended up with unsavory guests who lied about being made homeless by a natural disaster.

@Sarah977 Yeah, it says Airbnb will verify the First Responder’s work, although I don’t know how they plan to do that.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Angel4607 I have also seen only requests for stays a month or longer. It’s because my calendar has never been empty and available for that long! Also our housing market is hot right now because of super low interest rates, so many people have sold their property and need somewhere to stay until they move into a new property. I’m guessing as things progress and infection rates of Covid-19 rise, there will be requests from nurses, doctors, cleaners etc moving to my city to fill health care positions. Currently my province has put in an eviction ban on rentals, so much care needs to be made to ensure you have a good renter. Also worth mentioning the city hall has shut its doors and will not be hearing cases regarding rent. To evict a renter may be almost impossible right now.