Increase or not increase the price?

Increase or not increase the price?

Hi I'm Lana.

We have a nice vacation home built in 1988, with 2575 sq ft, situated on a 2.4 acre land, has 1 indoor lap swimming pool, inside the city, near a lot of shops, restaurants, groceries, gorgeous views, 1 master room w/ king bed, 1 large room with 2 queen beds, 1 bedroom with ensuite and queen bed, 1 room w/ queen size bunk bed, 1 sofa bed, total of 3.5 baths. Been listed since Aug 2018. Doing very well 4.98 stars, booking about 75% of the time. Pretty sure if we don't block the dates due to COVID or if we allow groups checkin and out the same day, we might get close to 100% booking. The listing has 10 guests but more often than not, we get on average anywhere from 4 to 8 guests staying per booking, rarely we get 2 people, sometimes we get more than 8 people. 

We're debating on whether to increase the price or not. My reasoning is if we increase too much, we will get a lot more large groups (of >= 10 plp), guests will try to shove as many people as possible to be able to divide up and afford the cost, without even telling us that they exceed the number of plp on listing. 

My husband's reasoning is if we increase then we can weed out all the party, reckless, careless types of guests, and only the "decent" upper class folks can afford to book, then we don't have to deal with all sort of mess and headache of dealing with damages. 

I'm just afraid if we make it too expensive, we might have upper class folks book but then we'll get a bad rating on value after their stay, find out our house is not as nice and modern as a lot of houses out there on AirBnB. In fact, we've gotten several of those ratings out of 113 groups thus far. I'd rather not maximizing profit but still maintain good rating and good reviews. 

What's your recommendations based on your experience? 

3 Replies 3

@Lana772  Since you can have any range of prices you please, I'd suggest using that as an opportunity to experiment until you find your sweet spot.

But your other concerns seem to have less to do with pricing than with security. A group exceeding the number of registered guests is something that should be strictly prohibited, and a home like yours should be monitored in some way (be it with a nearby co-host, CCTV, etc) to prevent that from happening in the first place. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lana772 consider third-party pricing software e.g.

www.usewheelhouse.com

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Always increase prices @Lana772 - your husband is correct that you will attract people who are used to living in nice places and know how to treat them.