Independent Review Board Needed!

Robert973
Level 10
Elgin, IL

Independent Review Board Needed!

Have you ever submitted a claim or appealed to AIRBNB about a matter and gotten the brunt of some lazy or completely uninformed Case Manager (CM)? Most of us, as Hosts, have experienced this, especially when the CMs choose to not follow the written rules, or worse yet, when they show that they clearly don't even know the rules. Add to that the clear conflict of interest that can prevent AIRBNB CMs from being fair. Think about it... the company gets a 13% commission from the Guest and only 3% from the Host. Which way do you think they're going to rule in most cases? Take one guess. I suggest that they need an INDEPENDENT REVIEW BOARD of non-employees to re-examine appeals when we feel AIRBNB CMs are being unfair. But to be honest, I doubt that they'll ever implement such an idea, because the CMs like the power of never being challenged or accountable to anyone. What do YOU think???...

21 Replies 21

What a novel idea, that they would simply follow their own policies on a consistent basis!!! Unfortunately, it doesn't happen that way in the real world, as you have suggested, Mark. Still, short of an absolute revolution, AIRBNB just isn't going to change. I find that many of the Case Managers are arrogant bullies, without cause, particularly during the claims process. The company is always begging for new Hosts, but they continue to send their SuperHosts out the infamous revolving AIRBNB door. SMH

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

They have an appeals process, laid out in their TOS under arbitration. The problem is that it may cost you up to $200 to appeal. 😕

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec19

I have a real problem with this company, who survey EVERY element of the transaction, barring their own. We get surveys about the individual CS agents, but where can we point out that policy is bad? Where do we get to rate their job on providing a stable platform? On ease of use? On reliability of background checks?

My employer surveys us at least 2x/year, including questions like "In the last 6 months, have you considered leaving the organization?"

That kind of indicator is helpful to identify dissatisfaction before the workforce walks out the door.

I tell you, I consider leaving THIS organization A LOT. I don't think I'm the only one.

@Allison2  Yeah, about those surveys- the way they read,  they ask if an individual agent gave you good service, and whether you'd recommend Airbnb to others based on your interaction with that agent. I.e. ratting the agent out. When in fact, as far as I can tell, the agents are simply responding in the robotic fashion they tend to because that is how Airbnb instructs them to respond. I really don't fault the individual CS reps, altho it's often frustrating when they don't even seem to have read what you wrote them about an issue, but I do fault Airbnb for the training they give them.

I've come to that place myself, Allison. But AIRBNB couldn't care less. I'm done with their bully approach to business.

It should NEVER cost anything for an appeal. Just more evidence of the biases we face daily with their bully approach to everything.

Skylar0
Level 3
New York, NY

It doesn't matter that they receive a higher commission from guests since it takes both a guest and a host in order for there to be a reservation. A single host is far more valuable to Airbnb than a single guest. However, I agree with your point... Airbnb has horrific customer service. 

Thanks, Skylar. "Horrific" is a good way to describe it. But I don't see them changing. However, do you remember MySpace?? AIRBNB may be joining them soon, if they continue to abuse their SuperHosts.