Induction Cooktops and Security Deposits

Bill1150
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Induction Cooktops and Security Deposits

We are just finishing a remodel of our listing and added an induction range.  My understanding is that only certain types of pots and pans work with induction, that the cooktop surface is glass, and I have heard anecdotally from a friend that an average induction repair can easily top $1000 US.  I did buy an extended warranty, but guessing accidental damage not really covered.

I'm curious how others here have dealt with issues like this. Our biggest fear is that some renter will drop a frying pan crashing down onto the glass top.  A standard damage deposit would not even make a dent in the repair bill.

Any creative solutions? For example when we recently rented a U-Haul, they essentially scare the customer into paying $79 insurance because if you dent their van you are liable for all damages upon return of the vehicle.  So it's a bit of a hustle, but on the other hand, I'd rather be out $79 instead of $3500 for a dented bumper so I pay it. 

If you have expensive, fragile appliances, please share how you protect your investment. Thanks!

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bill1150  I'm curious as to why you would have chosen to put a cooktop in a rental which is fragile and requires special cookware in the first place? The  general rule of thumb when outfitting a rental is to make it as foolproof as possible.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I can't speak for the US, but induction cook tops sell over here for as little as 200€ (about 250$) and are very common. And they're not really more "sensitive", but can be difficult to clean because any boil over spillage tends to "burn in". Certain cookware is specifically designed for induction and cook more efficiently, but they aren't a requirement. 

Since they're pretty much the norm here (for installations using electricity instead of gas), I'm don't know what kind of alternative you have available over there. What else is there these days? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bill1150 we have a glass topped hob in our apartment and it is absolutely fine. It is arguably easier to clean as it is just one smooth surface. As @Elaine701 says you can pick these up in Europe for $260 or so.

Induction hobs do need the cookware to be magnetic otherwise they don't work which can be an advantage as they effectively switch off when the pan is removed.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Oh, sorry, we switched from induction to gas hob many years ago. Back then, you didn't need special pans. I guess that's a new innovation. And I'm just getting old ☺

But for electric hobs, as far as I can tell, induction appears to be the only thing you can buy (over here, anyway). Has been for a long time. I can't imagine what else is available. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

For those that care electric hobs are either

1) The very old fashioned ceramic base with raised hob elements.

2) Flat glass plate with heater elements under the glass that heat up the hob and then the pan

3) Flat glass plate with induction elements under it that heat the pan directly but not the hob.

These are very fast acting (faster than gas) but have to have magnetic pans to make them work. Their disadvantages are that they make noise and are unsafe for people with pace makers (if they get too close).

I suspect @Elaine701 had the 2nd type in my list as induction hobs cannot work without a magnetic pan.

Thanks for the technical explanation, @Mike-And-Jane0 

Still, it seems that not only are today's induction hobs quite safe and practical, despite needing "magnetic" pans (which I reckon aren't hard to find nor expensive, since it's the norm), but why anyone would pay 1000 to repair one when you can buy new ones for a quarter of that... (?) 

Unless it's just different in the US for some reason. Maybe it's still a chic new innovation over there. (?) 

And... The reason we have gas is that we're solar powered and electricity is somewhat limited. Especially when you have other power sucking appliances such as dishwasher and wash machine, water pump, pool, etc... It all adds up. 

But I'm also more comfortable cooking with gas, and most of our guests are German, where gas appliances are often not allowed, and they seem to find it refreshing that they can cook with gas again. It's a "feature" 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elaine701 Believe me we would have gas if we could. Sadly we are some miles from the nearest gas main so we heat the whole property with a very expensive biomass boiler and cook with electricity.

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Elaine701  Gas (propane) stoves are by far the most common here in Mexico. You seldom see an electric stove, although they are availlable. 

Bill1150
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen anyone directly respond to the security deposit aspect of my question.  I can tell you a few more facts.  (1) we bought an LG induction range.  I think in other parts of the world folks buy a cooktop separate from the oven.  Ours is all one piece, around 1700US.  (2) as to the WHY, my wife works for the local electric utility and as you might imagine, gas and propane are bad, and everything should be electric.  (3) Why in a rental? Because we use the property at least 10-15 weekends a year and we wanted a place that felt like a retreat to the owners with the furnishings and surfaces that we like.

My only data on repair costs are from a psychiatrist friend who said he and his wife had bought an induction range and some logic board failed, which was a $1300 service call. 

I am more concerned of a guest slamming a magnetic pan down on the glass and cracking it.  I have a little PDF I give to guests and I plan to edit it to mention how to take care of our property, but as you know stuff happens.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bill1150 Just be aware that Airbnb don't actually collect the so called security deposit. Some collect a real one separately through the Airbnb resolution centre and then refund post the stay but this could put guests off booking your place.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Yes, indeed a deposit puts some people off booking the place. Demanding a deposit is quite effective for that 👍

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Assuming you're steering clear of the more 'basic' end of the market, I'm not sure why you'd be overly concerned over a guest smashing your hob versus wrecking a table for instance. I've got an induction hob and it's quite the tough piece of kit, @Bill1150

Nice guests will take care of your stuff. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bill1150  induction cooktops work with old-school enamel pots as well.

My tenant broke an induction cooktop when she dropped the salt shaker on it. Luckily it was a cheap, standalone model for 100$

I bought a cheap induction top from Ikea, has lasted super well. I found half my existing cookware worked and the rest not. Enamelware is iron so it works. If you wonder what will work, take a fridgemagnet and test on base. If it sticks, it will work.