Infants in my opinion should not be free!

Gilly17
Level 4
Cork, Ireland

Infants in my opinion should not be free!

Hi there

Allowing babies to stay for free, I can understand....it makes sense... BUT ... I find it absurd that infants are free. In my experience the properties require much more cleaning after infants have stayed; Sticky fingers splodged food everywhere not just at the table . Dripped and dropped ice creams .Biscuits and snacks dropped and crummed everywhere. They also use more hot water than adults or older children because they usually have baths.

I cannot be alone in thinking this?

What are your thoughts?

Gilly

45 Replies 45

@Betsy16  and @Cathie19 Worst nightmare!!!! It requires a new mattress as well as endless washing !!!

Luckily @Gilly17 and @Betsy16, my mattresses are completely fine. Every bed wears two mattress protectors. A Bamboo enriched waterproof mattress protector with a cotton padded, standard mattress protector over it. 

But toilet accidents can wet both, so I have to have spare sets of protectors (both) for all bed my combinations. They are worth their weight in gold!

@Cathie19 

I'm shopping for a mattress protector. Do you have a recommendation?

My personal preference @Sami459 is not the particular brands but types.

I’m also in Australia, which makes brands different to what you may have available.  🙂

10D4724D-B9B0-42FF-96D6-678761D73FAE.jpeg

What is best is that you have the 2 x  combination which feels good on the bed and doesn’t slip and slide with a fitted sheet over them.

more

More importantly, choose ones which are within your $ price range. Don’t  go too expensive, because you’ll need to have spare sets on hand for accidents. I buy when on special, like all my linen.

If there are small children or babies in a group, I always leave a spare set of sheets and mattress protectors in the space for the parents if needed. Also the minimum of a bamboo waterproof plus sheets for the adult bed as well.

We all know babies or toddlers can be sick or wet during the night and that’s not when I want to be disturbed. (I live on site) 

But having spare sheeting for small kids and parents (when with small kids) is vital for this night emergency changes.

But I see you don’t permit children under 12 in your listing. HOWEVER, adults spill drinks and I’ve had a guest spill a long black on the top of the bed, all the way through to the waterproof mattress protector. They had made a thermos of coffee and hadn’t put the lid on properly. SO everything, including the coverlet/bedspread needed replacing immediately.

(The stains came out.)

Don’t forget:

a) to have pillow protectors as well, plus spares. Especially with COVID-19 washing requirements. Not to mention, greasy heads, wet and sweaty heads, odours  etc.

b) cheap make up wipes on hand in the vanity and or dark face washers for make up removal.

c) leave a couple of “super” but thin, wing - styled sanitary pads in the space, either in the vanity or next to the basic first aid kit of bandaids/plasters. They can be used by females of all ages and will tied them over till they can get to the shops to buy their preferred brands. Periods can happen when not expecting them if travelling and in different time zones etc. These two of three pads may save your bedding, big time!

😊🤣

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

What many parents don't realize is that even if their child isn't a bedwetter at home,  just being in a new environment can cause a child to do that. And for sure a toddler who is in the process of being toilet trained or even if that has been successfully acheived in their home environment, should have a nappy on at night in someone else's home.

I raised 3 kids and there was never an opportunity for them to pee on anything. They stayed in diapers until they consistently told me when they had to go and the diapers are always found to be dry.

I was really lucky with my 2nd, who never peed during the night past the age of 6 months and all were out of diapers by the time they were less than 2.

One of the problems these days is the super absorbent disposables. It's much easier to toilet train with cloth diapers, as toddlers find it just as uncomfortable to walk around with a sodden piece of cloth between their legs as adults would, and appreciate it when they no longer have to because they use the toilet or their potty chair.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the environmental change. Anyone who’s toilet trained learns this, or if not... at their own peril! 

I also agree about the nappy types and the discomfort levels when wet. modern pan cloth nappies are similar to the new disposable in how they can wick away from the skin.

Lee386
Level 4
Cyprus

@Gilly17  I agree with you 100%. we end up supplying a crib and bedding /towels which all have to be laundered and spares left in the apartment as well so they can wash one set (accidents happen) whilst the other is on the bed 

Mindboggling that they are free!!!!!

@Gilly17 Please send feedback to airbnb so we can get this changed...

@Kristin108  I have tried to get them to rethink the policy but have been given the 'runaround'......They told me to talk to the community .....!!!!!!

Kristin108
Level 10
Scotts Mills, OR

I am absolutely appalled at the infant/ toddler policy. especially now during Covid!

My property is family friendly, and I get the bulk of my bookings from families with children.

I live on a farm outside Portland. And it seems that Oregonians are good breeders...

They are NOT however, good cleaners. Not do the wash their children's hands.

I am continually finding face and hand prints on windows at adult height. So guests are holding their kids up to the windows and allowing them to 'kiss the glass'...

I guess I should be grateful that I am getting so many bookings because my property is rural and I can offer guests an escape in the country...

But PLEASE, if you are at all concerned about this stupid and potentially dangerous policy, please submit something to the feedback.

We need to change this ASAP!

Thanks for reading my rant... 

Gilly17
Level 4
Cork, Ireland

@Kristin108 Couldn't agree more!

Hi @Gilly17 

I love West Cork!

I have a cottage in West Waterford (Ballyduff Upper) and have lived a few places near you as well...

I will keep you in mind when I can travel again! I am over due my trip to Ballymaloe House!

I also love Blair's Cove Inn.

As to the infant policy... I keep sending 'Feedback'.

That is the ONLY way now to get anything done!

They say the read it...

Ha, ha.

Cheers,'

Kristin

@Kristin108 😉I will bombard them!!!! 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We stopped hosting them. I had invested in a pack and play and several items for little ones like dishes, a high chair etc. I stopped hosting infants the day a guest said that my stairs were "too dangerous." When I responded that we supplied a baby gate and where to find it she said she wanted to be able to feel comfortable "vacationing and having a glass of wine" without having to worry about the stairs. Which told me she just wanted to veg out and not watch her kid, mess with a baby gate, or be responsible in any way. The insurance scenarios that flashed through my head were terrifying. We no longer host infants. Period.