Inquiry from someone booking for her son.

Christina666
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Inquiry from someone booking for her son.

I just got an inquiry from someone with great reviews who wants to book my place for her son and his girlfriend, ages 22, and 23.  Should I request that he be put on her account or create his own account for the booking?

12 Replies 12
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Christina666 

Tell her that you are happy to host him if he is a good fit but that he needs to create *his own* account and contact you to book. 

Thanks Emily!  Something was telling me this could be a bad idea.  Also, eeeek why did I get assigned number 666. I wonder if I can change this,.  Creepy.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

The last 22-year-olds I hosted broke my lamp and my table, and flooded my bathroom by putting makeup pads down the toilet.  I’m not saying all very young adults are like this but even scientists say that the brain is not fully developed till around 25-26.  So, even if her son creates an account and you book him, I would give him a few ”gentle reminders” before he arrives.

Thank you. Yes I do always have hesitation for younger guests for this reason.  She did ask if my place was 420 friendly as well...which is not a problem, but the fact that she's asking could be a red flag of some serious heavy duty stoners.  

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Third party reservations are against the rules.  One of those two needs their own account, and should provide you with the second persons name AND tick the "2" for number of guests.

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Transparency and trust are vital to the Airbnb experience. People rely on information in Airbnb profiles, reviews, and other verifications when deciding whether to host or stay with someone.

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

Instead of making a reservation for someone else, consider referring them to Airbnb. You can refer them to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking the Invite Friends button. When a referred friend or family member successfully completes a qualifying reservation, you’ll earn travel credit.

For business trips, Airbnb allows designated bookers at companies enrolled in Airbnb for Work to book trips on behalf of others. If you book travel for your company, find out more about booking for your team.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129I can relate to your last sentence unfortunately LOL.

@Susan1404 wrote:

@Robin129I can relate to your last sentence unfortunately LOL.

LOL "kooks?" That's my signature line here. LOL 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129 Thank you so much!  I was looking to try and find this answer!

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Christina666, like @Robin129 said, most importantly 3rd party bookings are against airbnb policy. If there were an incident at your house, you would not be covered by the host guarantee. 

In truth if you don't mind doing a 3rd party booking as a host, airbnb couldn't really care less from what I"ve heard. And if you have your own tenants insurance, you're covered if there is an incident anyway. 

But this rule is a great "out" for you.   Just tell the guests, you'd LOVE to host, but it's against airbnb policy and you'd hate for them to be unprotected should something go wrong.

also when someone books on behalf of someone else, the someone else is frequently unaware of things stated in the listing and the house rules. Bit of a recipe for disaster really.

so all up, better for them to do it themselves.  @Robin129 has given you all the links you need.

Good luck!

One other thing @Rowena29 and @Christina666 unless you collect the names and addresses of those third party guests you can't chase them down to file a claim to your insurance on. 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Yes @Robin129 good point, you're quite right.  I ask guests to enter their full legal names on the who coming section and/or in an email, and if I'm in any doubt I say i need to sight ID at check in.  However I think @Christina666 is leaning toward asking this guest to create his own account anyway...

Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

I always request the guest in the room are the ones on the registration. I've had several parents try and book their kids. I decline. 

Christine Warrington