Instant Book as an Unfair Practice--Opinions?

Barbara240
Level 4
Eugene, OR

Instant Book as an Unfair Practice--Opinions?

Hello AirBnB and Other Hosts, 

I am disappointed in AirBnB's practice of giving preference in listings to those who do Instant Book.  When someone is searching for particular dates, the Instant Book filter is automatically on and the searcher must turn it off to see other listings.  My guess is that many don't realize that and don't do it.  I think I am losing bookings because of it.

This is an unfair practice.  I am a SuperHost and work hard to create wonderful experiences for my guests but I am not an Instant Book.  Since guests are in my home (I do not have a separate suite/apartment) and I have a life besides AirBnB,  I want to know who and how many will be in my home and have enough time to be sure everything is clean and in order before guests arrive.  This takes a bit of planning and work.

I would like AirBnB to review this policy and not discriminate against those of us for whom Instant Book doesn't work.  What do others hosts think?

Thanks for thinking about this and for sharing your opinion.

Barbara

86 Replies 86
Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

At the end of the day, Airbnb is unfortunaltely a business - so they will make decisions that are in the best interests of sustaining and growing the business.  If they find that Instant Book bookings tend to convert faster and more easily, then it would be a business decision to prioritise them in the search rankings.

Of course I understand that it doesn't work for everyone... and I can only imagine how you would need to be careful in selecting who stays in your shared space.  We have an apartment so it's far easier for us - and as a result 90% of our bookings come through Instant book.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Barbara240, and a good reply from @Sue-and-Andrew0.

It's not actually "unfair" at all.  It's not a penalty, it's a bonus for those who can just book and move along. Think about it:  Instant Book works in so many ways--Less work! Fewer communications for you, fewer communications for the guest (BIG ONE), fewer things for AirBnB to handle.  Lot less work, everyone makes more $, gets more bookings...  Tough to argue with this, eh?

For those who want, need, or actually enjoy the extra interactions, everyone has to want it.  Not just the host.  Not just the guest, and this was the concept AirBnB was founded upon!  But not everyone enjoys the screening process or feels they want to invest the time in it.

If you prefer more bookings and don't care so much about the social/cultural interaction, IB makes sense and it will absolutely make you more revenue.  A bonus.

Kim

I guess whether you see it as an advantage or a penalty depends on whether you prefer it or not.  It seems like two sides of the same coin.  My point is that either way, it is not a level playing field, which is what seems unfair to me. We as hosts should be able to choose, without penalty and without advantage, which works best for us.   The way it is set up now is clearly advantageous to those who choose it and a detriment to those who do not.  Thank you for sharing your perspective.

@Kimberly54 IB does not mean more bookings. My place is solid 5*. I've had IB 4ever, yet the market has dried up. I am ready to throw in the towel! I had a great summer, but in December it's FINI. My competition via Airbnb is minimal in this area. Is this a seasonal problem all over?  I think other short term companies are taking over. Should I sign up for them as well? I am afraid of mixing up my Calendars! 

@Welcome0, my misunderstanding... I thought I was understanding that IB people were booking so much more (topic of this thread?)

In any case, whatever you're experiencing really must be a fluke, no?  Things can go in fits and spurts sometimes, but in my many, many years of experience in a variety of markets, eventually something will give/let go...

Hang in there!  Signing up for more than one service... 😉  you already identified the 'potential' risk!

Best,

Kim

I switched off IB this morning @Barbara0 @Willow1 . I had IB 9 months. I am doing some research!  I believe new Hosts get a bump up exposure, but once you are established, you are chopped liver. I haven't even had inquiries for couple of months! Supposedly, I'll qualify to be Superstar 10/1/17. What good does it do me

I've posted new photos, reedited my profile, done all the optimization to build value to my Airbnb, but no results.

I had a good run with Airbnb, but I have to think of my future. I've got bills to pay. Must think realistically. 

@Welcome0 - you may have intentionally turned it off, but you do not have instant book on, for your listing. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Barbara240

You can communicate with your guests after they have booked and you may leave a pre-booking message.

Just make sure your house rules and your descriptions are clear and you have nothing to fear from IB. If you do not feel comfortable with the guests, you can contact airbnb and cancel penalty free.  

Thank you for your reply.  I understand the elements of Instant Book you mentioned, and it seems most appropriate for those who rent out private units where the host is not on site.  Obviously, it could be done by hosts on site as well, but when people are coming into my home, I want it to extra clean and if it would be short notice, it could be harder for have everything prepared.

@Barbara240

If you go into 'Manage Listing" then to "Availability", and look at Reservation Preferences, you will see that there are options that give you timelines for incoming bookings.  You can set advance notice and preparation time.

You could try IB with advance notice of up to 7 days or have a preparation time of 2 days before and after each booking that are automatically blocked.

If it is having such a big impact, perhaps you would like to try to have it on with some restrictions to see if this makes a difference.  I believe @Momi0 has written a comprehensive post about this before.  Perhaps you could read a bit more by using the search box and see if this is something you could work with.  If you see Momi's post that would be the best one to start with.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa for the idea.  I didn't realize that was possible.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Barbara.  I didn't realize this was happening.  Like you, I live in my property, and want to try and screen the people that will be in my home using the same facilities that I use daily.  As a single female, this feature is even more important to me, for my own security (as much as is possible).  I think it gives an unfair advantage as well.  I realize AirBnb is a business, but it shouldn't give priority listing (or as you seem to be describing even screening out non-instant bookers) to those of us who would like to take a minute or two to screen the people that will be sharing our home.  LIst everyone equally and those guets who want to instant book will choose those properties, but at least give the rest of us an opportunity to showcase our listing too.

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Barbara240

Hi. I'm a bit confused by this, as I've seen several other hosts post similar thoughts about IB but when I search Airbnb for places to stay IB is not automatically on. I have to switch it on as a search filter.

Could it be different over here in the UK? Anybody know?

I'm definitely in the 'helps business' camp, though.

Hi @Ben205, it is exactly a search filter, and it's same in the US (though here it defaulted to ON and I couldn't turn it OFF until it was published).

Kim