Instant Booking

Jeri8
Level 1
Austin, TX

Instant Booking

Last year was a great year for me with Airbnb. I'm a superhost, always respond within minutes to requests. I really enjoy my guests and have enjoyed being with Airbnb over the competition. I'm looking for feedback on your experience with Instant Book.

Recently, Airbnb has been VERY agressively pushing me to use Instant Book. They're using both carrot and stick, only the carrot is a limp, dried up thing and the stick is a 2x4 weilded by an angry lumberjack. For instance, I can no longer see reviews of potential guests, which I was always able to do and I'm way lower on the search results. Booking for the next months are consequently non-exisitant.

The carrot, such as it is, is the promise that I can cancel if I'm uncomfortable with the guest, which isn't really true. I can cancel in a very narrow set of circumstances and I'm getting the feeling that it's an unpleseant, complicated process.

My listing is my home and having control over who I share it with is very important. This feature will likely cause me to explore other options, which is a shame since my relationship with Airbnb has been great so far. 

Anybody have a similar take? Different?

9 Replies 9

@Jeri8, you are an experienced host, so I am happy that I can ask you about the whole "can't see guests' reviews" topic.

In another thread, someone said that non-Instant Book hosts could not see guest reviews. But then some hosts said that they were not Instant Book hosts and could still see the guests' reviews as always. It turned out in that both Instant Book and non-Instant Book hosts could see the guests' written reviews, but that Instant Book hosts could also see the guests' numeric star ratings.

So in your case, have to had the ability to see the guests' written reviews taken away?

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

When I first started I did Instant Booking so far I didn't have no problem, the reason Airbnb is pushing Instant Booking is because you really can't pick and choose the people you want ,one is a race problem,two color issue plus 3 time you can only cancel with in a year so far Instant Booking work for me 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jeri8Can't give any advise on Instant Booking, for never have used it, but wanted to compliment you on the witty manner of your post.

@Jeri8 - We use Instant Book and have since it's inception. We find it to be extremely helpful and less stressful than request and approval.  I spend all the "getting to know you" time after the booking is made, setting the same expectations and learning the same information I would if the guest just asked politely to stay with me first. Anyone who books and then wants something special,  we typically say no which elliminates all the back and forth of negotiation (can I bring my mother-in-law over for a bath - um no). The guest is faced with cancelling if they can't get every little thing they want.  Works out better for us to come from a position of being booked and the person is bound to what it says in our listing only.   I still get loads of requests to book that are not IBs from guests who have specific questions and do not want to commit without knowing first (how far are you from Fantasy Island?  Can I get a magic carpet there?).  Frankly, of the few times I ever declined a request previous to IB, it was always because the guest had some really strange request - like did I use only bleach-based products to clean or would I be willing to remove all fragrances from the home before they arrived (both no - both declines) but a guest like that is not inclined to IB since they need so much control over their reservation.  It's so much nicer when I wake up in the morning and there are bookings to send a welcome message at my convenience instead of the clock ticking to respond before 24 hours have expired.  We really like IB.  

Oh and BTW, we used to always be the 1st listing, now in year 3, we're the 3rd and we use IB and Smart Pricing.  No reason whatsoever that we were bumped 2 spots except that they like to put "newer" listing ahead of older ones - it's a BS algorithm any way you cut it.   

Freddi0
Level 2
New York, NY

Similar take here!

I am very disappointed with the way AirBnB has been pushing, now almost forcing hosts to use Instant Booking!

I am an occasional host letting out a room in my private, "one-family" home here in New York City when the need for some cost off-setting income and the room availability present itself. I have no desire to run a hotel-style business, maximizing my income with a bottom line of always more growth, always more customers, always more money.  That's what AirBnB wants; it's not what I want! And it's not how we were courted by AirBnB in the beginning to become casual hosts.

The right to vet potential guests is a keystone of personal security in one's own private residence and should not be taken away or obscured behind marketing techniques aimed at benefitting, ultimately, the corporation - AirBnB itself - and relegating that right to more of a privelege.  Instant Booking is just that type of marketing technique. I have chosen not to use it from the beginning because I prefer, and rightly so(!), to choose whom I let into my house and when. In addition, my schedule is such that I can't simply allow "the machine" to manage my listings, accepting any and all comers based on its own algorithmic criteria. I have many friends and fellow hosts here in NYC who share this style of hosting. This new, almost mandatory turn towards Instant Booking is an offense to us all.

As it was originally set up, IB was a choice for those who are concerned less about personal and privacy issues and wanted convenience and to maximize bookings. That's fine! But that's not why many of us are hosting on AirBnB, especially those of us in single-family, private homes who just want to let out a room occasionally. This is, after all, what AirBnB was set up to do originally, or so it seemed. Now it has become a massive, market driven machine sparking controversy, abuse, legal issues, and helping to foster a change in the face of neighborhoods and rental markets in cities all over the world, certainly in New York and San Francisco, two cities with which I am quite familiar.

However, business and politics aside and more to the point of hosts' rights, why, oh why, have they removed the ability to review profile information, reviews, ratings, photos from requesting guests for those of us not using Instant Booking??? After all, as outlined above, IB was set up as a convenience for those hosts who were not concerned with taking the time to vet potential guests. Now only they have the privelege to do so. The rationale is perplexing to say the least.

I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with AirBnB customer service asking about this new policy because, not needing to host for the last 6 months, I am only just now receiving requests for a recently opened up calendar and thought that something was wrong with their website when I couldn't click on a potential guest and see their profile. The customer service rep said something to the effect of that it is AirBnB's current view that the ability to view users' profiles/ratings/reviews before accepting their reservation was promoting discrimination. Well, of course! That's what we must do - we discriminate, we distinguish and differentiate between people and decide whom we want to let into our private homes. This is an absolute right. I would discriminate between anyone seeking to sublet, to rent, or indeed even set foot in my door. Why not, then, between the anonymous public seeking short stays in my house? Why have a rating/review system at all if all users/hosts cannot access it and use it as criteria beforehand for accepting guests??  At any rate, the logic in the above representative's response is such that it merely removes the right from all hosts on AirBnB and gives the privilege to discriminate to IB users only. So, there is no "non-discriminatory" righteousness there, AirBnB, only a discriminatory elitism !

The rep also told me that this is something that they are "trying out right now" to see how it "works". So we are, as always, at their mercy.  I do hope that they will see the error in their ways and return to a more host-friendly protocol of at least allowing us small-time hosts the ability to choose whom we accept into our homes with their, or anyone's, system. Otherwise, it is hard for it not to seem like AirBnB is turning it's back on the moderate, small business style user in favor of higher volume, developer-minded users and their "hotel-ification" of our neighborhoods and cities.

Perhaps another platform will be the way to go for us little guys...

Agree. There are some ABB hosts who are single parents who use ABB for extra income to support the family.  Not everyone who IB is welcome in the home, and it is imperative for safety reasons for the ABB host to be able to decide whether or not they want the guest in their private home.  I doubt ABB has the support required for any (potential) safety issues in the event they happen.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I am a home share, single room, with Airbnb just shy of one year. I turned IB on in late October as a hedge against the low season. I have many of my options set high. For instance, I do not permit same day booking, my cancellation policy is strict, and guests must have profile photo, confirmed email and phone number, payment information, agreement to House Rules, guests have verified identities, recommendation from other hosts, have traveled on Airbnb, are recommended by other hosts, and have no negative reviews.

I also have the following as my greeting and questions they must answer: 

"Hello! I look forward to hosting you! Be sure to read the entire listing. We live in the house. You are renting an upstairs room. I love to cook so who knows what may be offered for breakfast.
  • What brings you to the area?
  • Who are you coming with?
  • When do you think you’ll arrive?
  • Did you notice the check-in window? We are firm at 2-6 PM."

I'm sure you've looked into the Instant Book process. So you know the stated cancellation policy is:

Unlimited cancellations

Hosts never have to host a reservation they’re uncomfortable with.

Some examples of when a host can cancel penalty-free include:

• The guest has several unfavorable reviews that concern the host
  • The guest hasn’t responded to questions the host needs to know about their trip
  • The guest makes it clear they’ll likely break one of the host’s house rules, like bringing a pet or smoking

3 cancellations per year

As long as they do so within 24 hours of booking, Instant Book hosts can cancel penalty-free up to 3x a year if they’re booked on days that should’ve been blocked.

Some examples of when a host can cancel penalty-free include:

• The host didn’t get enough advance notice
  • The host got double-booked
  • The host forgot to block unavailable dates

100% penalty-free

Penalty-free means:

• No cancellation fee
  • No automated cancellation review
  • No loss of Superhost eligibility
  • No permanently blocked dates

Remember, you can’t cancel for any reason that violates Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy.

So far IB has not been a problem for me. I don't know that I will keep it "on" when the high season kicks in again. I agree Airbnb seems to be forcing hosts to use it. They seem to have moved past the original Airbnb experience and are now focusing on multi-unit or commercial rentals. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

What I love about you is that you make it work for you ,and what works for you that's a good thing ,don't let no one take that alway from you

@Robin129

That's a great and thorough protocol, and thanks for sharing!

Nevertheless, there are those of us for whom Instant Booking simply will not work. It is, for me, a matter of privacy, principle and style. We all have our own, individual takes on these, and it was precisely this, acknowleging our different hosting "styles", how AirBnB courted us in the beginning with a choice about whether to use IB or not. I appreciate that those of you using IB make it work for yourselves in your style. That is fine. But it is not for some of us, certainly here in the New York, lower-volume, private, single-family home market.

There is no way I will ever be comfortable with allowing an algorithm at AirBnB to decide who gets to stay at my house. The consolation of being "able" to cancel (not to mention the confusion over "unlimited cancellations", then "3 cancellations per year" ?!) if a concern or schedule change comes up is no consolation at all, and it is decidedly unfair to hosts and especially guests. A polite and regretful decline to a pending res is far more acceptable on both sides than a cancellation after accepting a res. I'm sure we all agree on this! But that latter cancellation "solution" is what Customer Service suggests. Just turn on IB and cancel if you have an issue, is what they are telling us to do. I have been hosting people in private homes, professionally and otherwise, from conventional BnB to couchsurfing to artist residencies now to AirBnB for 30 years, I daresay a bit longer than AirBnB has been around, and I can tell you, this is a terrible policy.