Instant book - "recommended by other hosts"

Marie101
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Instant book - "recommended by other hosts"

Hi everyone,

I am a little confused about something regarding Instant Book, hoping someone can clear this out for for. Although I always dread doing so, from time to time, I activate Instant Book to help me get a few extra bookings. On my page, I have three options. I can activate instant book for:

-Guests who meet Airbnb's requirements
-Guests who meet Airbnb's requirements AND have
                Provided a government issued ID
                Recommendation from other hosts
-No one

I select the second option, and I "checkmark" both "government ID" and "recommendation from other hosts". I've always thought the latter meant that the guest has at least one review from other hosts, but yesterday, a guest used instant book to book with me and has no review! Can someone please clear that up for me? What does "recommendation from other hosts" mean in that case?!

Thank you!
7 Replies 7
Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

I am not a fan of instant book at all. If you are not comfortable with this instant book, and that was your selection, I would call airbnb and have them (not you) cancel it.

Hi Ephraim,

We have been considering Instabook, given the benefits of capturing more guest views.

Curious to learn 'why you're not a fan'  ... has your experience been a negative one?

Thanks,

T

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Seems to be that they have not had a thumbs down in a review.

David
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

''recommended by other hosts'' will have to get deleted later if we are all going to be on IB. Who will be the first reviewer if we are all instant???

I asked for government ID but not recommendations from other hosts. How can add reviews from other hosts after I preapproved?

Joel126
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marie101, I've just experienced the same issue. I called Airbnb and they informed me that this only applies to users with reviews, not new users who have no reviews. Therefore a brand new user can book using Instant Book!

This is not how the setting is worded as you point out:
"Require guests to have recommendations from other Airbnb hosts AND no negative reviews."

If it said "or" I would understand that a new user with no reviews (negative or positive) could book instantly though.

The Airbnb help article on the setting clarifies the actual function of this setting though:
"Recommendation from other hosts: You can limit bookings to guests who’ve travelled on Airbnb and received only positive reviews from other hosts."

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/484/how-can-i-control-which-reservations-i-get-with-instant-bo...

That is clear and makes sense to me. Not sure why the wording differs on the actual settings page. I am going to submit a bug to them, you may like to do the same:
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/feedback

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That doesn't sound right @Joel126 . I would give Airbnb a call and speak to another rep.