Instant book

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Instant book

In a previous conversation, it was recommended to turn off instant book. I was just about to do it but one of the precautions I was agreeing to confused me.  Does anyone know what it actually means to ..."lose penalty-free canceling or requiring positive reviews?"

Jillian115_0-1606603793805.png

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jillian115 

It's not really a issue, because if people can not book "instantly" (without your confirmation), there is also nothing to cancel if you decide you don't want them..

And you can still read and vet reviews manually, instead of leaving it to some algorithm to decide over it.

Airbnb just want you to stay on Instant Book and try to make you believe you will miss a lot of features.

BTW I never used Instant Book.

Thanks. It doesn't make sense to me.  because there is a penalty for canceling a reservation regardless it goes against your superhost status.  The "or requiring positive reviews" part is really throwing me off. when and how do I require positive reviews by having instant book on. 

@Jillian115  You can check that review requirement when using Instant Book.  Go to Booking Settings -> Guest Requirements - and then you'll see "Recommendations from Other Hosts."  When that is checked, a person without strong recommendations, or with no reviews, has to send a request to book.

In practice I find this helpful, because any time I get a request to book, instead of an instant booking, I know that the person is new, the person has poor reviews, or the person is about to ask me for a discount or a rule exception.

Oh, I see. Thanks Again @Ann72 it's listed in the setting as require recommendations from other hosts so it wasn't making sense to me.  

I know @Jillian115 - they use more inflammatory language to pressure you to keep Instant Book turned on!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Thank you @Emiel1  that is very helpful.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jillian115 When you did have instant book enabled did you take advantage of the booking requirements or the penality free cancellation?