Instant booking cancellation not available for host

Aurora62
Level 7
Groningen, Netherlands

Instant booking cancellation not available for host

I am a host and I have Instant booking on. The fact that cancellation (if I'm uncomfortable with a guest) is available without penalties made me feel safe enough to use IB.

However, I'm having a situation. A guest instant booked my place with the wrong number of guests (booked for one, two coming). I sent her an alteration request within MINUTES (6) of her booking, but got no reply yet (it's been 24 h and the reservation is for tomorrow).

I tried calling her (no answer) and sent her another message, but nothing. I now don't really feel like hosting anymore mainly for the lack of response (note: she is coming from another continent and has good reviews. however the communication on my part was instant, and when calling I got signal - meaning she wasn't flying or anything).

I tried cancelling the reservation without penalties (as is my right having IB on), but I was unable to ("to cancel reservations in progress you need to call Airbnb")! This isn't mentioned anywhere!

Furthermore, Airbnb says they will try and contact them themselves, and as last resource change the reservation themselves. However I am not comfortable without having received any message from the guest anymore. How am I suppose to coordinate?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Aurora62 ,

Things can go wrong in communications. If Airbnb is going to contact and also are going to change the reservation, then maybe wait for that. Cancellation last minute can have great impact on a guest's travel plan.

best regards, 

Emiel

Aurora62
Level 7
Groningen, Netherlands

Hey @Emiel0,

That is true but then again maybe the guest should have booked not at the last minute if she expected not to be available in any way? And more careful when booking?

In the meantime I tried contacting her again and my calls were rejected. Airbnb tried too with no success.

I am flexible but I need a few hours in order to prepare for the guests, as I rent my (full) apartment.

Jinnie0
Level 2
Oxford, MS

Last week I had a request for reservation a month ahead of time.  I accepted the reservation and 10 minutes later I realized I had already promised the condo to another party, so I had to cancel.  I had not blocked the date.  Airbnb gave me a bad rating for a 10 minute mistake.