Insurance options for hosts from South Africa

Shadley0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

Insurance options for hosts from South Africa

Hi Guys

Anyone know what companies offer insurance for Airbnb rentals in South Africa. I have done a google search but its proving quite hard to find anything.

Thanks

11 Replies 11
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

Hi Shadley, first, since around New Years you're finally covered by Host Guarantee It's some 16 million Rand you've got covered there - but it's not an insurance policy. I think we're insured via Standard bank, just paying a bit more as the house is marked for holiday rentals too. Ask your bank about holiday rentals and insuring these - I mean they've been around for decades before airbnb so it shouldn't be too difficult 🙂

Shadley0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks @Jessa0

Will check with them.

Jeanette4
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi @Shadley0. Have you been able to find an insurer? Your recommendation will be appreciated. Thank you!
Jeanette4
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi @Jessa0. From what I can tell on the AirBnB website, South African hosts are not covered by the AirBnB Insurance offering. Has that changed recently?
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

Hi @Jeanette4 - you are covered by host protection which is ca 1mil USD, it is no insurance tho. US hosts have additional insurance options but they are no different or better to regular ones.

Dallas1
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

Not really. Their "guarantee" is nothing more than lip service. Trying to get them to take action on a guarantee claim is akin to procuring an audience with Queen Elizabeth. 

Diana137
Level 1
Cape Town, ZA

Santam will insure you. They actually have a page in their site just about Airbnb rental properties. However you also have to insure your primary house contents with them.

Fredrik-and-Bianca0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi,

I have been having the same issue - finding a short term insurance option for my cottage without having to modify my entire homeowner's insurance policy which is an annual policy. As I am only offering my cottage for about 6 months of the year, I only need the extra insurance when I am hosting. To my knowledge, no one in South Africa offers this. 

Regards,

Fred

HI All (And @Fredrik-and-Bianca0 )

It is March 2022 and I have the same issue!  My entire home is and will be occupied by guests some of the time, and us at other times... I just called my current insurance providers, Woolworths, who, to date, I have been extremely happy with, to inform them that I am now hosting so that my policy could be updated, and they informed me that they will not insure me privately or commercially if I have Airbnb guests.   Now I am screwed.  

Have you made any progress?

Thank you

Candice

Hi Candice,

I am afraid not. No one has managed to put a viable insurance product together so I have opted for a hospitality cover to be included in my home owners insurance policy.

Fred

Thanks Fred.   

Is there any way you could tell me which companies are covering you for both your home owners (building  & contents) as well as this 'hospitality cover'?   

I could probably give you a sim number so that you can whatsapp that to me if you're not comfy doing so here...?

Thanks