Interesting article on Why Not to Stay at an AirBnB

Interesting article on Why Not to Stay at an AirBnB

I saw this on the MSN news feed today:  https://www.businessinsider.com/reasons-not-stay-at-airbnb-hotel-2018-12 

Unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any way to provide comments and most of the "reasons" appear to be pretty thin.

8 Replies 8
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Keri-And-Bryan0 The link did not work for me.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The writer is better suited to a hotel. 🙂

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Lawrene0, haha for sure! The author's points have some validity to them, but what is not mentioned is the uniqueness of many Airbnb properties that cannot be found in most hotels, particularly in rural areas. 

From the first picture, the article suggests most travelers are business travelers with their laptop and phone open constantly. I guess if I were on a quick jaunt for business, perhaps a hotel would make more sense, but when I travel I don't want a bland concrete building when I can pick from an assortment of interesting and unique properties, often having positive human encounters at the same time. 

Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I offer one star hotel price but I provide a 42inch lcd tv, electric cooker, microwave, mac mini, mini hi-fi, dvd player, 100mbps wifi, snacks, coffee and tea, kitchen utensil, books and shower gel. 

Most of my guests are happy because they will never get these amenities in budget hotel. 🙂

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Keri-And-Bryan0,

I subscribe to what @Lawrene0 already said!

And what about this statement: “With a hotel, what you see is what you get”

Excuse me? This is typically not true at all!

Do they get marked down on accuracy? When the view is not exactly the same, as what is shown in the pictures (typically taken from their best and most expensive room).

Another one: “Hotels won’t cancel on you with short notice”

So, hotels don’t overbook anymore?

Oh, and this one: “Airbnb has been a platform for racial discrimination”

How can you tell, the receptionist doesn’t discriminate too?

As usually the receptionist assigns the room, don’t they?

And the last one: “You can jump on a hotel room bed”.

Because it does not belong to a private person, you can do this?

In the end, everything belongs to someone private. Whether it is a shareholder of a large hotel-chain, or whether it is an Airbnb home owner!

Hotels don’t like damages or excessive wear-and-tear too.

And when they can relate damages to a guest, they will charge them for it, by a simple creditcard write off!

Personally, I think a typical Airbnb host will put up with much more, than a hotel (because of the review).

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

The same article appeared on Stuff NZ website - with readers comments.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/themes/short-breaks/109645612/7-reasons-id-choose-a-hotel-over-airbnb...

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

The same article appeared on Stuff NZ website - with readers comments.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/themes/short-breaks/109645612/7-reasons-id-choose-a-hotel-over-airbnb...