International Guests and visa

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

International Guests and visa

I have had a few international guests before.  I have another guest coming in a month who booked about a month ago.  Last night the guest sent me a message asking me for my surname to put on her Visa application.  Is this proper or normal?  All of my other experiences hosting guests from other countries have not asked this.  I have not responded to her yet.  

6 Replies 6
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Susan10 . Yes. very normal. Our country now requires these forms to be filled out to enter the country, and one of the questions is "where will you be staying" and if it is a private home, the name of the hosts along with address. Since this information was in their reservation, my guess is previous guests have filled out the form without asking you for this already-given information.

Good to hear.  Still a little strange as I don't think address has been released yet by ABB for her to put on the Visa?  She only asked for my last name.  How far in advance does the Visa have to be completed before travel?

@Susan10  It can vary. My French cousins always try to apply far in advance just in case. Here is the online application:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Carina33
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I received my first request to be listed as the "Point of Contact" but when I looked at the app it clearly states "A US point of contact may be your friend, relative, or business associate.. if you do not have one, please enter the name, address, and phone number of the location where you'll be staying (eg hotel name). You may also enter UNKNOWN" Since as hosts we have no personal relation to the applicant, I don't think our information should be used under "Point of Contact"--what if the applicant overstays their visa, partakes in illegal activity, etc., etc... I certainly don't need the liability of being responsible or contacted or questioned by US authorities. 

The 2 case managers I spoke with suggested to write feedback to Airbnb requesting a protocol or verbiage they can provide to international travelers so they are aware of the implications for us as hosts, so they don't expect us to readily provide this information or become disappointed when we are unwilling to. 

Martika2
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I'm on volunteering team at a restaurant and we're expecting about 30-40 students from Ireland to come work with us. I wanted to try and help them find housing to make their lives a little easier. Does anyone know how I would go about finding many homes for that many people?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You could look for a couple of large properties in the location of your choice @Martika2 

The maximum on airbnb is 16 but hosts will note if they can accommodate larger numbers and send you a special offer for higher numbers.