Irma's message to all guests arround the world

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Irma's message to all guests arround the world

Irma just sent a message to all our guests :
- who set up AC at 21 C while outside temperature in a shade is 40 C
- who use AC 24/7 even when they are not present ( and then use all the blankets available)
- who don't know how to cool the house by simply open the window at the evening and pull down windows blinds during the day
- who heat or cool the house with open windows 
- who leave all the lights turned on even when they are not present 
- who set up a refrigerator and a freezer on maximum, for days, just to cool down one bottle of soda
- who took looooong showers

- who use washer and dryer for a pair of socks 

- who use fresh towels and linens every single day 
- who use 3 pillows, 3 sheets and 3 covers per person , per night

- who use disposable hotel slippers, cups and stuff

Guests, hotels, holliday resorts , hosts and the entire human kind should listen to Irma. And Irma says: "Hello, pleased to meet you - I am climate change, your long term guest now."

18 Replies 18
Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Goodness Irma, how selfish and extravagant this person was/these people were.  If it's only a once off it's not so bad but these things go against what I would expect of my guests and how I've been raised.  Fortunately not everyone is like this and the "damage" they've done to the environment should only be minimal.  Keep on hosting!  Jeanette.

And no thanks to those that sent you Irma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2jleJ2RUg

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

You know....  The Earth's Climate has been in a constant state of flux since time began.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5034026.stm

While the hurricanes that recently swept through Texas and Florida have received worldwide news coverage, they are nothing new.  In fact, there are treasure hunters who are still locating and salvaging the shipments of Gold and Silver that left South America, headed for Europe, and were lost at sea by massive hurricanes along the Florida Coast in the 1500's.  

http://nypost.com/2015/08/19/florida-treasure-hunters-find-4-5-million-in-rare-spanish-coins/

In fact...  Shortly after Christopher Columbus discovered "The New World"  he discovered Hurricanes.  They've been around longer than Electricity... Gas Guzzling SUV's... Incandescent Light Bulbs... and Air Conditioning.  They're a fact of life... Nothing New.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/J6.html

Thank you, @Mark26 I agree with you! I don't believe in Climate Change due to the human race.  That's Goric nonsense! However, there is constant change in the climate. Of course,  there are many things we could do environmentally, but that's a different topic.

Any suggestions for tasteful reminders for guests? 

Hi Mark

Please take care, this sort of anti-PC talk can get you booted off ABB.

Just a little friendly advice.

Good luck.

I always thought by expressing one's views was a part of Airbnb culture. Am I wrong? That's what makes this forum interesting. These discussions are meant only for hosts. Always being PC means not thinking independently.

Irma sure did whatever she felt like doing! 

@Welcome0. You are wrong. If you do an online search, you will find that many people whose opinions do not align with ab b are being...well, I'll leave it there. I'm not comfortable saying more than that.

Just be careful of voicing your opinion unless it agrees with 1 side.

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

It's only common sense to turn off the AC when the weather cools, but somehow it only clicks if you've got to pay the bills! 

I luv this time of year! The fresh breeze and cool air  is inspiring.

What would be a diplomatic way to remind guests to adhere to these energy saving measures?

Get a poster or write your own:

Open your window or walk to the store

The air will not kill you, but give you much more! 

Save on our energy, waste not our water

Preserve earth's beauty as you found her!  

Aija

These things are just a CODB - Cost Of Doing Business. Every business owner has these costs. As hosts, these things happen to all of us. Irma's message?.... Really? Irma has no message,... go take a look at the top 20 hurricanes that hit CONUS (Contiguous United States, aka lower 48 states) since 1856. Yes, I got the year right,... 1856.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/10/hurricane-expert-klotzbach-irma-at-landfall-comes-in-7th-behi...  

I was 11 years old at the time of Camille in 1969. Global warming is,... well,.... I'll let the data speak for itself.....

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I just installed the Ecobee3 thermostat this past weekend. This thermostat solves many of the issues related to guest and their control over the heating and cooling. The Ecobee allows you to "lock out" unauthorized users, so no flicking the dial to max low or max high temps when you walk in the door. You set the "comfort range" and forget it. It also has a motion detector in the unit that senses movement in the room. You can remotely turn on and off the HVAC system from an app on your tablet or phone. When the guest leaves for the day, you can shut the AC or heat off remotely.You can also set the system to "free cool" where the system will draw cool air from outside when it's cool outside than inside. Same with heat. The Ecobee really is an amazing device. 

Denise285
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

These would be the same guests who don't want to pay much per night because they are on a tight budget, and most probably the same ones who do not leave the property in a clean and tidy condition "because they are paying for it". 

And those who wanna check in at 6 (am ofc ;)) and leave at 10 (pm ofc :))

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena0 @Denise0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 Or the same one who asked for a discount because the wife won't be sleeping in the bed one night. I asked :"Shoud I rent out your half for that night?" She thought I was serious! LOL

Aija