Ironing

Laura1355
Level 7
Minnesota, United States

Ironing

I have been hosting for a year and have had only two experiences that would potentially qualify as less than positive ones so I consider myself lucky.  I cant wait until my current guest leaves tomorrow morning.  He arrived without incident on Thursday which is great. I was a bit irritated when he sat at my kitchen table for hours on his laptop yesterday five feet from my recliner where I was reading and relaxing on a Sunday. I did not say anything although the rules state that the rented area is for the bedroom, use of the guest bathroom, and limited kitchen access to make simple meals. Thats it.  Common areas that are not for guest use are  not pictured in my listing. I will amend my listing to specifically state guests should not hang out at the kitchen table all day unless they are temporarily sitting there for a meal. At the time i didnt feel there was a polite way of telling him to sit in the comfy chair in the room I rent out and if I really needed to i could have left the house and gone to a library or something.

I am irked because he returned home from a college interview today and said that he was unable to use my iron for his clothes because I did not provide distilled water for the steam. First of all it has been years since I have needed to iron anything so I had to think about it. Then I recalled that it is possible to dry iron on a medium or low setting without burning. Third I found a consumer report article that states that it is a myth that distilled water should be used for ironing and in fact it can void the warranty.

I sent him a politely worded message on air so our communication is in writing and he cant use the lack of distilled water against me. He has gotten too comfortble here and just told me that an avocado on my counter is ripe and needs to be eaten soon. I said my daughter is going to do just that later, thanks.  He used my kitchen to warm up soup and was slamming drawers looking for a spoon even though I showed him on the first day where everything is in my small kitchen.  He needs to GO.  If I didnt need the additional income so bad for medical expenses, I would limit my guests to 2 night stays.  After that time they seem to get a sense of entitlement and overstep boundaries. And it has always been white men of different ages who do this! (I am white and dont want to make this about race, it is just an observation.) I am seriously thinking of limiting my guests to single evening stays female only but probably would only get three reservations a year.

0 Replies 0