Is 2.5* a good review?

Answered!
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Is 2.5* a good review?

Hello.

hope you are well.

i just had an interesting scenario with Airbnb- whereby a guest was able to instantly book (he has an average rating of 2.5*) and Airbnb says that this is “not bad”. Am I being crazy here?!

Luckily i was able to fight my corner and get this reservation cancelled and penalty free but it brought to mind how subjective and liberal this all is. 

Thoughts? And please stick to subject- and not digress on why IB is bad or good! 

Thanks in advance. 

Yadira 🙂

1 Best Answer
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yadira22  if a host was sitting at 2.5* they would be delisted and removed from the platform, but hosts and guests are held to different standards as we know.

I wouldn't want to host them based on the stars, and I am not surprised you wanted to cancel them- glad you fought your corner!

Paul 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 thanks for the message. I have no idea. Personally we have taken guests with not so great reviews before as we appreciate some may have had a personality clash with their hosts, etc. And we sieve them out based on communication but I have no idea how this guest is doing it but truth be told I hated the fact that he just said he will check in earlier than check in time (at least ask if ok) and is coming to see his girlfriend who lives in London but he booked a single occupancy room for one night. I really was not happy with him but I still wish him luck and a great time in London! 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Yadira22, thanks for sharing - that is very interesting. I always wondered whether my IB settings would actually work and now I'm thinking they might not. I also only allow guests who have previous recommendations from other hosts to IB. However, it is possible that he might have been rated down in the categories but still got a thumbs up from his previous hosts. This is precisely why it's really important hosts give the thumbs down do less than ideal guests. Guests don't see it, it's just for the benefit of other hosts.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I’ve always thought the ‘mark someone 3* so they can’t IB’ only applied to ME not to other hosts. 

So, I give 3* and they can’t come back to my place but they’re welcome to go elsewhere. 

And, yes, I think the “recommended by other hosts” just means that they have ONE thumbs up on their account (stars could be terrible, text could be terrible and they could have other thumbs down, so long as that ONE thumbs up is there).

that “recommended by other hosts” likely isn’t the gold star some hosts think

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

you are probably right but my days am I worried about IB If this is correct. If only an official AIRBNB rep could confirm the exact requirements. 

Thank you for your time 🙂