Is ABB going to do something for displaced New Orleans hosts?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Is ABB going to do something for displaced New Orleans hosts?

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. New Orleans is my adopted home--we recently bought a condo there for our own enjoyment and had lived there several years ago. I have been visiting this city multiple times a year for the better part of 2 decades. Watching the news now is Katrina flashbacks and quite triggering. I am worried about my beloved city and all of its residents. 

ABB,  now is your chance to help displaced New Orleans hosts and other families in the city. They are losing income that they generate for you. Their properties may be damaged and offline for months. No one has any power in the city right now-- even during Katrina there was not a total power outage.  And its HOT there.  Dangerously hot for those who suffer ill health.  

I see "open homes" for care providers and refugees....what about the residents of New Orleans?

20 Replies 20

Thank you @Helen427 for bringing to light further and even more perilous circumstances had there in your region Auckland (NZ). The distressing conditions reflect the foibles and nastiness of contemporary means utilized to develop rural communities that negatively (understated) affect people, domestic animals, wildlife and their habitat.

I must agree with you on points you mentioned that have severely affected the stability and living conditions of most residents or visitors in the vicinity (not limited to and including AirBnB  Hosts/Guest and tourism in general).

I hope conditions are steadily progressing towards a recovery. I understand there is little comfort when waiting on recon of your family home or home and farm. I have been present in similar (but not half as dire) circumstances.

I have seen the people's faces after their homes, farms and crops, harvest and livestock are laid to waste. It in almost too surreal to fathom the immensity of the utter decimation left in the wake of these type forces of nature. For people who are enduring the aftermath - it is ALL TOO REAL. It's nothing less than soul crushing and horrifying when you take into consideration the loss of lives!

Farmers are very hard hit - in the emotionally painful scheme of such conditions. Their farms often sustains them or are part/all of their livelihood  and income). Entire areas of suburban & urban dwellar, too, find their residences unliveable or have been swept and/or washed away.

Commercial land clearing, resurfacing and literally moving mountains (or blowing them to bits) for the purpose of contemporary development (erecting commercial & residential structures, etc.

I am in !Large! agreements with you in all. Know that my thoughts are with you. Wish it were possible for me to Host someone affected by the horrendous destruction that area has incurred. I do realize, more than most know. Is there any collective effort on the part if NZ'ers to assist those affected?

it is very hard to help your neighbors when one is "over their head" and in the same way. Being a victim of mother nature (+ haphazard development of rural areas & the raw natural landscape of a region) is not new to me.

I understand..is so hard not to emotionalize over the devastation after I thought to look for myself & parsed the regional news online. There were photos..more of Buller River but fewer photos and articles re: The South Island, Rural News there reported on Dairy Farms of Buller River in recovery - it did, in part, describe the havoc wreaked on the farmers and their cows!

It is more than most people can imagine unless you see it for yourself or are resident. You love your New Zealand and care about people and animals there who reside in Auckland & beyond.

You are a very rare find, indeed, @Helen427 !  Am "the on the same page" with your thoughts on the subject.  We see the necessity to preserve the natural scheme of things for the safety, health and  "good of the many" - come what may. Buller River saw the result of "come what may" come & go, leaving very little unscathed. People who can least afford such losses are enduring them. I know how commercial land developers view this. THAT is even more upsetting. Greed taking precedence over the value of people's entire lives..it generally comes to a bad end at the cost of lives.

Thank you for taking the time to share the events that affect you and other fellow hosts, as well.

This is more than impacting NZ tourism it is affecting the entirety of people's lives (and more). Chime in and let me & your fellow hosts know how you and others are fairing there in NZ, please. You are a priceless addition to and part of the AirBnB CC and New Zealand and Endzedders, EVERYWHERE!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Helen427 

Hurricane Ida did not limit her destruction to the Gulf Coast.

She headed north and there is a great deal of damage along the Atlantic coast as well.

We are not hearing much about specific relief efforts.

At least 45 people in the Northeast were killed as the remnants of Hurricane Idacaused torrential rain, devastating floods and tornadoes overnight. Rescue teams in Pennsylvania spent hours Thursday using boats to reach people stranded by floodwaters, and similar rescues played out in the New York City suburbs.

At least one tornado rolled through the southern part of New Jersey, ripping the sides off some homes and turning others into rubble.

"An extraordinary, sadly tragic, historic 24 hours in New Jersey, there's no other way to put it," the state's governor, Phil Murphy, told reporters. In his state alone, 25 people died due to the storm.

Wednesday night was the first time the National Weather Service issued a flash flood emergency for New York City, where officials said the storm was responsible for at least 13 deaths.

The city's entire subway system was shut down overnight. Water gushed into some stations and onto trains filled with passengers.

"Everything is electrified, so one false step, a passenger, or anyone, could be electrocuted," a conductor said.

Elizabeth2291
Level 9
Georgia, United States

Thanks for posting to this thread @Helen427 and @Brian2036. Residents of (and visitors to) the several states in the northeastern US were unprepared for the onslaught + unrelenting backlash of TS Ida's rapid deluge (+ tornadoes - 1, of which was an EF03, that churned through a large community in NJ). Pennsylvania and NY incurred tremendous ( on the sudden) The torrents of so much rain, wind gusts + tornadoes was not oncoming from the Atlantic Ocean. What remained of the "stealthy Ida"  "sideswiped"  the NE states with the "full monty" of rainfall it meant to drop on the northeast US. Those states received its' "meaner" half - the deluge! The (then) T.S. Ida  (former cat 4 hurricane)) NHC forecast warned of the onslaught of theses threats. It had been awhile since Hurricane Sandy hit some of those states coming off the Atlantic. Residents (also, keeping in mind, our AirBnb fellow host residents) MUST be vigilant (in advance) for timely warnings re: likely perilous conditions - for the GOOD of ALL. The loss of lives is irrepairable, property damage is overwhelming in metro/suburban/rural areas in several of our states in the US.  At 11 am EDT 09/01/21 the NHC (NOAA) had issued the warnings indicating the potential for flash flooding & tornadoes from parts of the Mid Atlantic states to New England. Most "seasoned" residents residing in TX, MS, AL, LA and FL's panhandle generally take the NHC's warnings/watches very seriously (many evac, some can NOT AFFORD to but manage to survive, others lost their lives trying to stay, disregard the warnings & shelter in place). If you have survived the aftermath - count yourself as very fortunate & widened. The hurricane season is not yet over & already many all over (North & South) suffer in its' wake. We consider our fellow hosts' concerns & considerations posts (especially those residing in the damage path). AirBnb should consider alerting all guests who have bookings during sudden natural disasters (ie. earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis & torrential flooding, etc.) cancellations by hosts may be instantaneous due to hazards BEYOND the hosts' control. People have families who have lost loved ones/the use of their homes due to the damage from such catastrophes. Guests who can NOT comprehend such heartache, hardship & loss are likely not very humane or respectful. They'd be best off staying in a hotel (if some are left in tact or have any vacancies). AirBnb is aware of the NHC website. Just a SUGGESTION for our fellow hosts and (also guests). Find the link to the NHC, bookmark it and use it. CA residents know how to use the Wildfire Warning websites (thank goodness for those, too). There's one each for tornadoes & quakes/tsunamis also. Pay attention to such things. The safety/well- being of lives often depends upon heading warnings or being well-prepared (as much in advance) as humanly possibly.  I duly apologize for the long post.

AirBnb should consider alerting all guests who have bookings during sudden natural disasters (ie. earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis & torrential flooding, etc.) cancellations by hosts may be instantaneous due to hazards BEYOND the hosts' control. People have families who have lost loved ones/the use of their homes due to the damage from such catastrophes. Guests who can NOT comprehend such heartache, hardship & loss are likely not very humane or respectful.

Agreed @Elizabeth2291. I think its a great business practice to do some additional disclaimers and warning to guests who are not cognizant of risks in certain areas. People do seem to have compassion fatigue after 1.5 years of locking down/opening up/wearing masks (or not) and getting vaccinated (or not.) I think nerves are frayed and its difficult for people to put themselves in this sort of catastrophic situation if they have never experienced it or had a connection to someone close who has.

[Compassion Fatigue] is a very "politically correct" way to put it @Laura2592-Nice touch. You nailed it! I have been edging towards coming right out and saying what "the rub" is here.

I signed on with AirBnb.org's Host temp stays for Disaster Relief personnel "out in the field" & Afghan Refugees as a charitable effort to volunteer for a good cause. Then Ida hit home 🇺🇸..Yikes!

I would be "on board" and all for AirBnB.org assisting its' host members by offering temp stays to those in dire straits (who evac'ed or were stuck sheltering in place there to include: NOLA and other small coastal parishes in Louisianna, TN, PA, NYC + NJ.

The ABB rates for such endeavor could be: Significantly discounted or 'pro bono' temp stays.

Such temp stays would allow the above mentioned individuals temporary shelter til they have power restored  (if what's left of their home can even be salvo'ed in a timely manner (some homes may be a total loss)).

After speaking to friends residing in/near the Vieux Carré, NOLA, I'm seriously considering hosting guests (which  are mutual friends) independently from AirBnb, its' partners and affiliates since I have the space & all of my state + locals laws/ordinances allow for it.

I know what it is to evac, shelter in place, have no utilities or liveable accomodations in the aftermath of such and other natural disasters. I had alternative safe & comfortable quarters to reside in when faced with occurences - many OTHERS do NOT.

I understand and commend others here who have seen or endured the hardships that ensue/follow in natural disasters (and describing the conditions had therein) ie. fellow host members from New Zealand.

Even if they did something it would be "we'll wave our fees if you host for free".