Is ABB going to do something for displaced New Orleans hosts?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Is ABB going to do something for displaced New Orleans hosts?

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. New Orleans is my adopted home--we recently bought a condo there for our own enjoyment and had lived there several years ago. I have been visiting this city multiple times a year for the better part of 2 decades. Watching the news now is Katrina flashbacks and quite triggering. I am worried about my beloved city and all of its residents. 

ABB,  now is your chance to help displaced New Orleans hosts and other families in the city. They are losing income that they generate for you. Their properties may be damaged and offline for months. No one has any power in the city right now-- even during Katrina there was not a total power outage.  And its HOT there.  Dangerously hot for those who suffer ill health.  

I see "open homes" for care providers and refugees....what about the residents of New Orleans?

20 Replies 20
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Laura que triste!

@Loni56 it's terrible.  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Laura2592 yes you are right on target.....we are still feeling the eastern aspect of IDA here in Pensacola, Florida...and we have continued warnings thru tomorrow Tuesday for tornadoes. Hopefully the word will be out soon from Airbnb....I just posted in our community FB group here that folks might rethink and help out those from Louisiana and Mississippi that have lost homes and more.  That could have been right here instead! Hoping and praying for those suffering. 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Clara nos juntamos em  oração quanta tristeza este mundo a fora

que Deus toma controle !!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Bumping this again. Weeks without power. Is ABB going to offer open homes to these folks?

Thank you, Laura,  for posting your concern  & starting this "thread". La paroisse d'Orleans (NOLA) is w/o power, LA paroisse de Baton Rouge Est, Jefferson, Saint Tammany  are w/o power - paroisse de Saint Bernard is still inundated (in parts) with flood water, "boil water prior to usage" health dept. recommendations have been issued & put in place post haste - paroisse de Saint Bernard has encountered "hurricane hardships" & endured w/o power (ie. Yscloskey/Old Shell Beach/Delacroix Island), also Houma (paroisse de Terrebonne) residents have no power & face same bleak circumstances. These residents, some of which are laborers working on oil rigs, many are commercial fishermen or local citizens relying on fishing/shrimping/crabbing & oysters for their livelihood & mainstay. These are VERY  hard times for working class blue-collar communities - their livelihood RELIES on fuel for their vehicles, be they autos, ATV's and/or boats, the working order of the same & their fishing gear &  nets.

I have experienced Katrina's immediate catastrophic AFTERMATH (first hand) when assisting family/friends to recon & relocate from NOLA & le plus petites paroisses (smaller, less affluent parishes). Aalt that time US National Guardsmen had already arrived (en masse) or were swiftly heading to parts of NOLA, Slidell & some coastal Louisiana communities. They were called upon in the aftermath - assisting law enforcement maintainin order & security for those areas. Prior to Katrina, I sheltered through Hurricane Ivan in coastal Alabama. The US National Guard was also swift in arriving. Their presence ensured the safety/security of coastal residents who were victims of Ivan's aftermath. Flooding ensued & several nasty tornadoes spawned (in & around a small suburban/rural community multiple tornadoes were the cause of several dozen blue tarped roofs that remained undone for over 6 months - but gas & electrical power was restored in 1 week). In Louisiana so many families/residents in RURAL, suburban & urban areas are in bleak circumstances. This IS a critical Disaster Relief Scenario considering the hot, humid climate (heat index >100°F)  in Louisiana's delta regions/many bayou areas - alligators/other preditors & pests have been spotted deeper inland due to flooding?,  where some residents must rely on electric fans & individual A/C window units as their means of A/C). Many rural residents RELY on WELL WATER powered by electricity for their daily H20 - no electricity no water (if your generator gives out or you have no fuel for it). In addition to those issues, more than many have no way to safely access pharmacy, doctor, grocery marts, gas station, etc. due to lack of safe transportation (or lack of gasoline for boat or automobile). Coastal Louisiana is in need of viable shelter (electricity & clean running water (hot or cold, at this stage)) - especially á paroisse de Saint. Bernard, paroisse de Terrebonne &, surely de la paroisse d'Orleans. When a natural disaster, as such occurs, the National Guard is most often present. Thank you kindly, all at AirBnb, once again,  for your post & continued comments. A special thanks to Arnaudville (paroisse de St. Martin + St. Landry, ("La Jonction") for remembering the hard-working & humble origins that helped maintain the adored NOLA..home of the Arnaud brothers. BTW: N'oublions par la récent catastrophe de l'ouragan dans la paroisse de Calcasieu, LA - USA 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

Things are very bad in NOLA and recovery is not going to be as rapid as I thought.

NEW ORLEANS—The winds and rain from Hurricane Ida have passed, but the devastation wreaked by the storm weighs on every aspect of life here.

Schools are closed indefinitely. Officials say power will be out for up to three weeks. Cell service is spotty, and hospitals already burdened by Covid-19 are relying on generators and water reserves since water and sewer outages are widespread.

Roads are blocked, stores are closed and the heat is punishing, with the National Weather Service issuing a heat advisory Tuesday for southern Louisiana and southern Mississippi, predicting a heat index of 105 degrees.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Come on ABB! Let's see something about this...open homes, some kind of response for hosts, updates to the extenuating circumstances policies, anything....

I really appreciate that you are making steps to house Afghan refugees, but you have people who host and book right here that you can help too! Why not offer some assistance?

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

situação lamentável!!

@Loni56 

118 / 5000
from @Clara116 

Translation results

Sim, orando e confiando em Deus por segurança e conforto. Todos aqueles que estão sofrendo precisam ser lembrados e ajudados como podemos.
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Clara116 vamos todos lembrar em oração do povo que está sofrendo!

Que Deus olha com bondade e missericordia! a União fais a força!

juntos pelas catástrofes do mundo muitos países sofrendo!

abraço Loni!!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Laura2592 @Elizabeth2291 @Brian2036 @Loni56 @Clara116 for highlighting this.

Thoughts are with you all during this challenging time and we hope that the recovery goes smoothly and these people receive the much needed assistance they deserve.

We have had winter inland flooding and tornadoes in Kumeu, West of Auckland last weekend where people and animals have also been displaced, alas blessed to be close to assistance.

Up to the top @Brian @Catherine-Powell @Airbnb 

Any updates for these people who are going through natural disasters and there consequences?

Good grief! I just spoke with my cousin in Cundletown, NSW, AU.  I sincerely thank you @Helen427 for sharing the dire situation that occured in Kumeū, West Auckland, NZ. These type of natural catastrophic occurrences are why I signed up to help people thru AirBnb.org in partnership with many non-profit agencies and organizations.

I hope you, your family, relatives, friends and neighbors in the region were not  adversely affected by the tremendous tornadoes + flooding, and able to return to your home safely without lengthy delay. I was VERY relieved to read that help was close by to give you assistance! What took place in West Auckland, NZ - WAS much WORSE than damage from Ida in NOLA, LA.

So sad that more than many were displaced and lives were lost. I worked to assist with rescue of domestic pets. I hope that the situation is improved for you & other Aucklanders. Many species of wildlife in the region were severely affected, as well.

She said the flooding there in West Auckland was VERY intense and exceeded the damage Ida wreaked in NOLA, LA.

I wondered how she knew about it. According to her, my uncle worked in parts of NZ with regard to agriculture and beekeeping/apiaries for the purpose of pollenization. 

He had many Kiwi friends that came to visit in NSW during the winters. She added how my uncle loved NZ.  Many times, they entertained "Kiwis" friends while in NZ. Her exact words were "Kiwi communities are very supportive. They're swift to gather and tend to their neighbors when conditions are unseemly."

Thanks again,  for enlightening this ABB host!  Best personal regards.

Thanks @Elizabeth2291 
The tornado and flooding in Kumeu, West Auckland whilst an awful natural disaster was no where near as bad as the recent floods caused by the winter rains and Buller River flooding the lands around Westport in The South Island where homes were seriously damaged and cows lost lives on the coastline.

Kumeu is more inland and about 30 minutes drive from where we live.

It used to be mainly rural area but now has housing taking over which I personally think is short-sighted as it's where fresh fruit and vegetables grew, along  with flowers and animals.

Flooding happens in what are now called city regions because they filled in all the ditches with underground pipes to take the Stormwater out to sea, whereas in the past the water naturally filled up water bores which people used as a water supply.

There's far too much concrete in the world that has stuffed up nature's way of looking after the land naturally.

Awesome to know you have relations who have visited New Zealand.

Many of us are missing our tourists which has always been the backbone of our economy.

Thanks for the warm thoughts and kind words.

We all need to remember about Humanities.