Is Airbnb hiding guest photos again?

Is Airbnb hiding guest photos again?

Went into my inbox today and all of my guest photos for inquiries/requests are hidden.  I only see the photos of confirmed and past bookings.  If I remember correctly, didn't airbnb do this for a stint a while back, to try and reduce discrimination or something?  

Is everyone else not able to see profile photos?

45 Replies 45
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Sorry Sarah, but it’s just not true that “all hosts” are against this change. Some hosts have been quite clearly for it in the other thread.

@Ben551  I think I saw one comment in support but I don't know if it was a host or not, it's pretty clearly running at about 99% against the new rules.

I am interested in if airbnb is going to allow hosts to no longer have a photo on their own profiles in order to protect them from discrimination by potential guests.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

That’s actually fair comment on host discrimination. It goes both ways after all!

@Ben551  Can you please direct me to that thread?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sarah977 Yes, sorry it took me a moment to find it again. I’ll link you directly to one of my own posts: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-profile-pictures-removed/m-p/916880/highlight/true...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ben551  Thanks. I read it. I don't think hosts object to not being able to see a profile photo of the guest before they are accepted because we think we can tell that this is a nice person or is going to be a good guest. Of course just seeing a photo of someone can't tell you that (some very horrendous sociopaths are quite good-looking and look friendly and non-threatening, that's how they are able to manage to get people to trust them).

The point of being able to see a profile photo is that we are allowing perfect strangers into our homes, which means we are accepting them in good faith and opening ourselves up without a lot to go on. If a guest is too "private" to want to post a photo of themselves, then they are not welcome to stay in my "private" home. They can see a profile photo of the host before they book- it needs to be a 2-way street.

Also, seeing a profile photo ensures that when guests arrive, that hosts can see that at least one of the guests is the person who booked.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sarah977 Thanks. You know I’ve said in the other thread that I’ve been waiting to read any kind of logical argument from hosts on this, as it’s all so far been a bit scattered logic with people using throw away words like “I need to see them to judge whether they are suitable for my property”, which gave some of us pause.

I think I understand you. It sounds like it’s about having an “impression” of openness and transparency when someone is willing to put a picture of themselves forward. No picture may therefore feel sneaky, whether logical or not. You know, in this day and age (with pictures everywhere) that actually makes a lot of sense. It doesn’t have to make direct sense to be a human requirement. We are all used to seeing pictures when we interact online, so whether it’s a real safety feature or not doesn’t matter. Thank you Sarah for making a point I can understand.

Matt586
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Rightly or wrongly we ALL judge people on physical appearance, on the feeling we get from them; and when it comes to letting someone into your home you, hosts should have the right to  "see" the person before making a decision.  

Airbnb-ing is a very personal experience and taking this facility away is not fair on host and wholly shifts the balance of the interaction.

Russell63
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I totally agree, I think it is probably to do with earning more money but I know I am more likely to decline.  It's okay if you are one of these hosts who rents out standard, hotel apartments but when it is your home with al your possessions it is a different story. I think it's disrespectful, they could have easily sent a memo  asking hosts to vote.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ben551  Thanks for reply and for "getting it". You know, I'd be willing to bet that many of those guests who don't post a photo of themselves on their Airbnb profile actually have tons of selfies posted on social media 🙂

Some may not be posting profile photos because they find it difficult to upload to Airbnb- I've read posts here from guests saying exactly that. And some may just not want to be bothered to take the time to do it.

Russell63
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

It's absurd. I just had an enquiry and noticed I can't see the person. It's my home and my first instinct is always to look at the person to see if I can trust them. Every person who has stayed with me, i've used this approach and in 4 years everything has been fine. I imagine i will decline a lot more bookings now. 

Thomas983
Level 3
Berlin, Germany

I accepted a booking yesterday but when I finally got to see the guests photo she was hiding her face! She also changed details in her profile just after I accepted the booking. I did not feel comfortable with it and cancelled the booking. I've been discussing the matter with CS and they said I will not have to pay for it, but I will lose my Super Host status. This is very frustrating. Even though feeling safe in my own home is much more important than my Host status. I am surprised and sad to see that my comfort and safety is not a priority for Airbnb, and I can only wonder what they would do if this faceless guest actually did cause any problems.

Marco1326
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

well its an (not) interesting blabbing on the technical side of seeing a photo yes or no..but the essential for me and my partner is that we like to see our guest(s) or host(s) before we book. We're not a hotel and renting space. We receive them at OUR home.  And if we do not like what we're seeing or reading we politely want to say no. No "big brother" setting the rules because they can cash more.

Austin-Kole0
Level 2
Berkeley Springs, WV

It's a two way street: if hosts are required to have a photo, so should guests. It's that simple.

Cristóbal-José0
Level 1
Cavaion Veronese, Italy

If a guest has no photo, no review history and just joined the month they are requesting to stay at my place the odds of me declining go way up.