Is Airbnb holding rental fees longer in order to collect interest on it?

Mark5
Level 3
Houston, TX

Is Airbnb holding rental fees longer in order to collect interest on it?

Why does it take so long for Airbnb to direct deposit the rental money to your bank account? In most cases, they have already collected the money a month in advance?

19 Replies 19
Myriam202
Level 2
Ocala, FL

I like idea of getting paid after check-in it insures the guest is in. Whereas if the host gets paid first than guest cancels the host will have to pay back. 

I don’t mind airbnb holding the deposit, I just want my share of the float. 
Only a small fraction of the funds they hold actually belong to them. 
If a guest cancels, the interest should go to the guest. If not, it should go to the host.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Mark5 

I much prefer getting paid the day after check in. Lots of things can happen between booking and arrival, and I don't want to deal with it. 

And so far, it's almost always like clockwork. It arrives in the bank exactly the same time on the following day after check in. If that changes, then I'll be making a lot of very irritating noise. But so far so good. 

@Elaine701 Spanish banks must be far better than UK ones ( even before Brexit). Our money arrives Thursday for a Saturday check in.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I think it's an EU banking thing. In general, I've found EU banking to be very efficient.

I also have a bank account in Germany. If I do an online transfer to my Spanish account before 13:00, it's in my Spanish account before 16:00. 

Airbnb's bank is in Luxembourg. I assume it's the same story.