Is Airbnb planning to add the new Georgia State "Occupancy Tax" of $5.00/ day to "pricing" ?

Is Airbnb planning to add the new Georgia State "Occupancy Tax" of $5.00/ day to "pricing" ?

The new Georgia state tax of $5.00/day is supposed to be collected and paid each day that it applies by the host. This is extremely time consuming. Any help on airbnbs part would be greatly appreciated here in the state of Georgia.

12 Replies 12
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jim-And-Tina0 I don't think anyone in this Community would have the answer to that.  Is that what Georgia requires? $5 per day per person?  If that's the case then you can just add it to your price and communicate with your guest that it's included.  In my area it is 10% of the gross reservation price which is before Airbnb takes out the 3% host fee. Booo!

And in Texas, there's both a state tax and a city tax. Here in Austin, we pay a total of 15% off the top. A flat $5 tax would be terrific!

And, not to answer specifically about Georgia, but unless state law requires AirBnB to collect/pay the tax (Texas doesn't), then it'll be up to you to comply. Here in Texas, it's up to us to file every quarter. (Two separate filings, actually; one with the city and one with the state.) Some AirBnB hosts try to slide by, but both the city and the state have staff "patrolling" AirBnB for unlicensed listings that don't pay their taxes. One sure-fire way to get some negative ratings is to have guests rousted out and evicted when the compliance inspectors shut you down in the middle of a listing...

We obtained our city license and we pay our fairly hefty taxes. Our rates obviously reflect that, so we make that clear in our listing.

Thank you Dede, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Jim & Tina, I looked it up and you only have to pay the $5 daily charge if you qualify as a hotel/motel. Hotel/motel was defined as four rooms or more.

I do have a question for you though. I am in GA also (Powder Springs). I am only renting out one room do I have to get a business license? I couldn't figure it out from reading the site. Thanks.
Amy497
Level 2
Georgia, United States

Paula,

How did you go about collecting taxes (state & city) from your guests? I am new to Airbnb and am still trying to figure out the science behind it 🙂

I rent my condo (Helen, GA) as a vacation rental on HomeAway's website where they clearly break down and show the taxes & charges to the guest's accordingly. Neither Airbnb's website, nor their customer service dept could explain on how I can/should charge the guest the city & state taxes they owe. It is very odd that the host should built in the state/city taxes within the quoted nightly rental cost. Any and all guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Amy,

I have a cabin in Helen as well.  I just starting renting in March.  On my site, I have it listed that the occupancy tax will be billed separately.  The first guest had read it and was great with it.  The second one wasn't happy when I billed her.  Like you, I hate to build it into the nightly cost because it makes your rate look higher than it really is.  There should be an additional button for that.  Evidently, Georgia is one of the few states that Airbnb doesn't collect the taxes.  I'm torn on whether to add it to my nightly rate or continue like I have been.  I have my third guest there now and they booked from VRBO, so there was not an issue.  

Could you send me the link on where to find that . thanks 

So if I need to have 4 or more rooms and I dont does that mean I dont pay occupancy tax?

So no occupancy tax if less than 4 rooms renting?

I think I found good news!

This link provides great info.

https://dor.georgia.gov/state-hotel-motel-faq#field_related_links-486-2

Yes, you in Georgia you must collect and remit Sales and the local occupancy tax.  However, with less than 4 rooms you do not collect the $5 hotel motel fee.   

Dale781
Level 2
Macon, GA

The $5 per day is a charge that hotels charge only, not when it is a room being rented in your home.