Is Chicago slow during Oct, Nov and Winter?

Kristine51
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Is Chicago slow during Oct, Nov and Winter?

I am relatively new to Airbnb, not a superhost yet. My ratings are not perfect, but not bad either. Though I have had a few pretty rocky experiences with a few difficult guests. I have learned never respond to bad reviews it just isn't good. Anyway, I had all three of my rooms booked nearly solid throughout spring and summer, then a lull. So I let a friend stay for the month in one for reasonable rent rather than let continue sit vacant in October, and fortunately I did get one booked till Jan, which was great.

Now though, I have had the other room, my best in fact, available at a great price, with no bookings for weeks. If this continues through Nov. I may have to put it to sleep and put it elsewhere. I really don't want to link Airbnb to the other sites available that do this sort of thing and don't want overbooking.

My question is ....Have time experienced hosts in Chicago had consistant slow months? Jan, Feb, Oct, Nov?  If I know that in advance, I can prepare for it, and juggle the room and sights more appropriately so that the beautifully furnished rooms aren't wasted, like my best one was in October.

Thank in advance, I really appreciate the help, and consideration!

Kristine

2 Replies 2
Elizabeth495
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I am faced with similar situations, I think it’s just the market in Chicago this time of the year. You can advertise your rental to indicate it as a good option for the cold period. Even include words like “warm” in your rental title description.if you have a functioning  fire place , that should be part of your selling point.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I think it is pretty typical in most parts of the US at this time of year, not just Chicago. In my area too, the best 6-7 listings will still get regular bookings, but the rest can be vacant all month. A good gauge also is hotel prices. When i see hotels that normally go for $275 a night redicing their rate to $149 I know there is just a lot of vacancy.

if your place has some special features or amenities you can highlight those to try and bring your listing to the top of people’s minds so you grab as many of the Available bookings as possible. Im booked about 50% for Nov and Dec but most other istings in my area have little or nothing booked.