Is Hosting in Monterey County legal?

Ann15
Level 2
Walnut Creek, CA

Is Hosting in Monterey County legal?

I am very interested in hearing about the status of STRs in Monterey County (including Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Pebble Beach)?  Is a STR permitted?  Do you need a permit?  Is there a minimum amount of nights that you must rent to be in compliance with any ordinance in place?   I enjoy hosting and traveling on Airbnb.  Recently, I have traveled to Carmel and Pebble.  I am also interested in purchasing a home there and would love to host guests from time-to-time, but maybe that won't be an option in the near future.  Thanks in advance for your help/insight/suggestions.

7 Replies 7
Kristin168
Level 1
Carmel, CA

Hi Ann- I live in Carmel Valley, where I was told two years ago that - because it's an "unincorproated area" I would not need a permit or license to start an airbnb in my mother's house (where I also live); I just had to pay my TOT tax regualrly and I'd be "fine" ... After having had two successful years since then, and becoming a "super host" and really loving airbnb, the county has managed to close me down, saying I was in "violation". Of what? They don't even have an ordinance!  They said if I continued, they would fine me up to $2,500/day - also retroactively! I've now applied for a permit, (to the tune of $600+/-), they will need to come to give me an inspection, they then will write to every neighbour within 300 feet to see if they object to my having an airbnb. Then, if I pay a further $6000,  they may or may not give me the permit, which will allow me to have STR's (minimum of 7 days). I am appalled. No one comes here for 7 days - it's too expensive! I've asked airbnb to help me deal with the county, but I think they feel that's not their priority. I am not sure what to do..... Any ideas?

Oh My - What has happened since May? Have you applied for the expensive permit?
Did they approve - ?

Or why did they not approve

So have all people currently hosting in Carmel and Carmel Valley paid $6000 and gotten a permit? Seems unlikely.  So what's the deal? Thanks for any insight.

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

I heard that they have a lottery system and if you're lucky you get drawn to do STR otherwise 30 day minimum. I'd like to find if there is anyone out there renting for a better price for 30 days as I'm looking to stay in the area for a month. Or maybe find someone who would be interested in trading homes. 

Shaheen13
Level 2
Belmont, CA

Hi,

Following up on STR in Monterey County, CA. On the COunty website, it said that in unincorporated areas of the County, STR may be permitted, but for a minimum of 30-days. I'd love to get feedback from hosts in the County on your experience.

Also need feedback from Airbnb on what they are doing in terms of working with Monterey County to enable hosts to use their platform to host in the County.

Thanks!

Amber516
Level 1
Milpitas, CA

Hi,

we are considering purchasing a property in Monterey county to start an Airbnb. Was wondering if any hosts has an update regarding the permitting process there.

thanks!

Amber

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom