Is It Time to Boycott Airbnb's Anti-Host Stance?

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Is It Time to Boycott Airbnb's Anti-Host Stance?

While it's true Airbnb wouldn't have a platform without guests,--neither would they have one without good hosts.  There seems to be a big problem,--guests can be as good or as rotten as they wish,--however, hosts had better be top-notch.  After my experience this month, I don't believe Airbnb cares enough to support their hosts,--they would rather just replace you, (if you're a host).  This sounds odd as any good business model usually includes KEEPING your best employees as they are the "face" and experience you present to the world.  Airbnb wants new people to use their platform, yet due to their lack of supporting hosts,--most of us are afraid to accept bookings from new, (especially young), potential guests.  I tried, yet again, to host a new Airbnb user and will, most likely NEVER do so again.

I had a guest that stayed the first week of this month, (August), and in spite of going over the rules with her specifically in messages prior to her entering my home, (she was a first time Airbnb user), my house was left with missing and damaged items and 2 additional people were brought into my home.  Although my guest would not admit the additional 2 people until I provided Ring Doorbell video footage, Airbnb has refused to back me up or provide any type of compensation at this time.  The additional people hid their black truck almost out of sight of the Ring Doorbell, so it is impossible to see at night. They also blocked my Ring  Doorbell while the sneak ins entered my home.  Thankfully, they forgot to block the Ring Doorbell when they left and I was able to see 9 people leaving my home.  Nine people partied in my home for 2 days.  I have provided Airbnb links to the videos.  I also do a video walk-through on the day guests check-in, preferably within 2 hours of check-in.  I sent them the before video and after video.   

I have provided Airbnb with proof of a missing vertical blind, (especially irritating as these are special order blinds and I have to order from the manufacturer), and photos of my home.  A blue paint-like substance on my towels and one bedroom wall.  Trash was left all over my home including in the beds and in a kitchen drawer!  (There were 7-9 bags of trash created in less than 48 hours,--and my house rules clearly state; no parties!)  Worst of all was a sticky substance in my kitchen on the floors, down the front of cabinet doors, and all over my family room.  This entailed HOURS of painstaking cleaning, dismantling my glass/tile coffee and end tables and cleaning each piece as well as trying to salvage my tourist books and magazines which were also stuck together.  

Of all the ironies, someone in this party left a wedding band in my home.  The guest asked if this person could return to my home to get it.  After seeing the condition the home was in, I said no, I would mail it.  Guess who took the wedding band and mailed it back PRIORITY mail?  Yes,--I did!  I cared enough to not only return the ring, but in addition pay for expedited shipping.

Upon confronting my guest with the Ring video footage, my guest had the audacity to tell me that the sneak-ins were uncomfortable in my home because they had to sleep on the couch.  I am OUTRAGED that Airbnb can see this and has done NOTHING to back me up.  9 people puts me in violation of my STR permit and Airbnb apparently doesn't care about that either.  My house can only host 8 people max,--but the guest only booked it for 7.  After I asked my guest if she was seriously going to blame me for the discomfort of sneak-ins, she then changed her story and claimed my house had roaches and spiders everywhere.  I provided her with the walk-through of my home, done less than 2 HOURS before they arrived showing it was sparkling clean and perfect.  After viewing this video, she has now accused me of name calling.  I always keep ALL communication with my guests on the Airbnb platform, and have NEVER engaged in name calling, (even though there are times when I have surely felt like it!)  Only God knows what this guest will say in her review!  After she accused me of name-calling, I clicked the "Involve Airbnb" button. 

I am so very angry at Airbnb.  I have asked for a supervisor to become involved and hope this helps bring resolution to this.  For the first time since signing up to become an Airbnb host, I want to quit.  I have only been a host for about a year and a half, and have definitely noticed a decline in the way they treat me as a host.  I don't know if this is because the only other claim I have ever had was when I was a very new host or not. 

So, for those hosts out there who feel frustrated that they can't provide proof,--cheer up!  I HAVE provided proof and have received ZERO compensation from Airbnb.  It appears they won't even take the time to read the messages between the guest and myself where she not only ADMITS the sneak-ins, but complains about their supposed discomfort!

Also of interest, this will be the 3rd time attempting to publish this post as twice now, it has failed due to various reasons.  (I keep getting told I have to sign in again even though I have not signed out).  Good ol' Airbnb philosophy; first, ignore the problem(s), and if that doesn't work, try to suppress the truth if it's negative!  Why not simply address these problems??  As hosts,--has anyone every thought what would happen if we joined together and went on a 1 day  boycott??  What if we all paused our listings for 8 hours?  Airbnb would lose millions if not billions,--but perhaps they would start supporting and listening to their hosts the same way they do their guests.

Julieanna
48 Replies 48

Having been a host for 12 years now, this seems to be a fairly typical occurrence. I have people lie about occupancy all the time, once 16 people stayed in my 8 people max house, and Airbnb doesn’t do a thing about it. In addition, when I am fairly certain a booker has a potential to be a partier or I suspect they may sneak in more people (you get a pretty good gut feeling about it, when people are evasive in their emails) I can’t disapprove their booking request without punishment. “Gut feeling” or “not enough info/communication” from the guest is not an allowed disapproval reason. I feel like I am forced to accept all of these young partying groups, bc there is no permitted reason to deny them (btw, they lie about their age too. My minimum age is 28, but how often do i drill in and then find out they are only 25 or younger...). 

Since aurbnb is not doing anything about this, Tahoe communities have now started to strictly regulating the rental market by imposing high fines on groups of more than 8, more than 2 parked cars on rented properties, partying hot tub groups etc.

Airbnb sucks for hosts! 

@Hilde15 I have come to the conclusion, (no guarantees though), that adjusting my Instant Book settings to require a potential guest to have recommendations from other hosts helps prevent some bad guests.  Sadly, with the advent of some hosts feeling pressured to leave a good review no matter what,--this setting may end up being useless

Although I'm sure this cuts down on people who are first time Airbnb users,--it also cuts down on some of the dishonesty and abuse of house rules.  Unfortunately, as I continually test how my house shows up in search,--it also hurts search results a lot.  Airbnb wants guests, (good or bad), to book the "easiest" houses as they make more money and acquire more users.  I would be up for accepting more newbies if Airbnb would help me enforce my house rules and collect security deposits if necessary.  Last bad experience I had took 2 weeks of back and forth tedious and time consuming communication.  

Overall, I still continue to be disappointed in Airbnb's host support and search algorithm penalties for hosts who do enforce their house rules. 

Julieanna
Mike601
Level 2
Juneau, AK

I was a superhost every quarter since the program was evaluated. Until. This. Quarter.  The problem was a guest who had stayed with me twice before, and who I gave preferential treatment, decided that work was taking her away after 4 days of a 10 day reservation. I explained Airbnb policy (no refund) and my policy (happy to refund if it gets rebooked).  Instead she got angry, would not cancel, gave me a 1 star review, and got airbnb to refund her directly (outside of conversations with me).  Airbnb would not address this with me. I then lost my superhost status. how is that reasonable? This is not the airbnb I knew when I became the 2nd host in my community in 2012.  Should I drop hosting on this platform?

We are neighbors of Airbnb...

Constant parties from short stay appartments, occasional violance, police being called. Multiple reports to AirBnB - no reaction what so ever, except automatic acknowledgement email.
This time drunk and druged AirBnB guests attacked neighbors after midnight, when asked to descrease the noise.
Blood, injuries, police - all very bad. But the worst part is the behavior of AirBnB when they refuse to cooperate with investigators and victims.
All the blood and crimes caused by short stay accomodation looks like is norm for the companies and they are protecting such aggressive and violent guests!
That what actually happened- AirBnB is actually covering criminals and therefore they have so much higher rate of blood and crime.