Is It Time to Boycott Airbnb's Anti-Host Stance?

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Is It Time to Boycott Airbnb's Anti-Host Stance?

While it's true Airbnb wouldn't have a platform without guests,--neither would they have one without good hosts.  There seems to be a big problem,--guests can be as good or as rotten as they wish,--however, hosts had better be top-notch.  After my experience this month, I don't believe Airbnb cares enough to support their hosts,--they would rather just replace you, (if you're a host).  This sounds odd as any good business model usually includes KEEPING your best employees as they are the "face" and experience you present to the world.  Airbnb wants new people to use their platform, yet due to their lack of supporting hosts,--most of us are afraid to accept bookings from new, (especially young), potential guests.  I tried, yet again, to host a new Airbnb user and will, most likely NEVER do so again.

I had a guest that stayed the first week of this month, (August), and in spite of going over the rules with her specifically in messages prior to her entering my home, (she was a first time Airbnb user), my house was left with missing and damaged items and 2 additional people were brought into my home.  Although my guest would not admit the additional 2 people until I provided Ring Doorbell video footage, Airbnb has refused to back me up or provide any type of compensation at this time.  The additional people hid their black truck almost out of sight of the Ring Doorbell, so it is impossible to see at night. They also blocked my Ring  Doorbell while the sneak ins entered my home.  Thankfully, they forgot to block the Ring Doorbell when they left and I was able to see 9 people leaving my home.  Nine people partied in my home for 2 days.  I have provided Airbnb links to the videos.  I also do a video walk-through on the day guests check-in, preferably within 2 hours of check-in.  I sent them the before video and after video.   

I have provided Airbnb with proof of a missing vertical blind, (especially irritating as these are special order blinds and I have to order from the manufacturer), and photos of my home.  A blue paint-like substance on my towels and one bedroom wall.  Trash was left all over my home including in the beds and in a kitchen drawer!  (There were 7-9 bags of trash created in less than 48 hours,--and my house rules clearly state; no parties!)  Worst of all was a sticky substance in my kitchen on the floors, down the front of cabinet doors, and all over my family room.  This entailed HOURS of painstaking cleaning, dismantling my glass/tile coffee and end tables and cleaning each piece as well as trying to salvage my tourist books and magazines which were also stuck together.  

Of all the ironies, someone in this party left a wedding band in my home.  The guest asked if this person could return to my home to get it.  After seeing the condition the home was in, I said no, I would mail it.  Guess who took the wedding band and mailed it back PRIORITY mail?  Yes,--I did!  I cared enough to not only return the ring, but in addition pay for expedited shipping.

Upon confronting my guest with the Ring video footage, my guest had the audacity to tell me that the sneak-ins were uncomfortable in my home because they had to sleep on the couch.  I am OUTRAGED that Airbnb can see this and has done NOTHING to back me up.  9 people puts me in violation of my STR permit and Airbnb apparently doesn't care about that either.  My house can only host 8 people max,--but the guest only booked it for 7.  After I asked my guest if she was seriously going to blame me for the discomfort of sneak-ins, she then changed her story and claimed my house had roaches and spiders everywhere.  I provided her with the walk-through of my home, done less than 2 HOURS before they arrived showing it was sparkling clean and perfect.  After viewing this video, she has now accused me of name calling.  I always keep ALL communication with my guests on the Airbnb platform, and have NEVER engaged in name calling, (even though there are times when I have surely felt like it!)  Only God knows what this guest will say in her review!  After she accused me of name-calling, I clicked the "Involve Airbnb" button. 

I am so very angry at Airbnb.  I have asked for a supervisor to become involved and hope this helps bring resolution to this.  For the first time since signing up to become an Airbnb host, I want to quit.  I have only been a host for about a year and a half, and have definitely noticed a decline in the way they treat me as a host.  I don't know if this is because the only other claim I have ever had was when I was a very new host or not. 

So, for those hosts out there who feel frustrated that they can't provide proof,--cheer up!  I HAVE provided proof and have received ZERO compensation from Airbnb.  It appears they won't even take the time to read the messages between the guest and myself where she not only ADMITS the sneak-ins, but complains about their supposed discomfort!

Also of interest, this will be the 3rd time attempting to publish this post as twice now, it has failed due to various reasons.  (I keep getting told I have to sign in again even though I have not signed out).  Good ol' Airbnb philosophy; first, ignore the problem(s), and if that doesn't work, try to suppress the truth if it's negative!  Why not simply address these problems??  As hosts,--has anyone every thought what would happen if we joined together and went on a 1 day  boycott??  What if we all paused our listings for 8 hours?  Airbnb would lose millions if not billions,--but perhaps they would start supporting and listening to their hosts the same way they do their guests.

Julieanna
48 Replies 48
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Julieanna0   I just wonder why you wouldn't have kept the wedding ring as leverage until all the issues were resolved, rather than spending additional money to priority mail it back to a liar who trashed your place?  

@Mark116You're not the first one to ask this,--my philosophy has always been, there's never a downside to taking the high road, however, as mentioned above,--I might have to re-think this...

Julieanna

The thing with the rental business is that you always have to have some sort of leverage because the tenant or guest can you screw you over much more then you can to them. Think about it. The worst you can do to a guest is cancel their reservation last minute which you probably wouldn't do but its just a hypercritical thought. Then then would have to find a last minute accommodation which is just a momentary inconvenience. Compare that to what a guest can do to you... steal belongings, trash your house, burn down your house and topple your biggest asset, etc. Much more risk for us then guests who come into our homes. 

The high risk guests are never given a second chance in my books because I cannot afford losing my biggest asset.

Although you don't want to be cynical of people, you have to protect yourself always.

@Julieanna0  I don't see holding onto something as collateral as taking the low road. It's just business. I'd have messaged something like "Yes, I did find the ring, have made sure it is in a safe place, and I'll be happy to send it back as soon as the matter of the damages you caused and the non-payment for the undisclosed extra guests is appropriately resolved." 

I had a young woman long-term rent a place I look after for my neighbor. She left for months, leaving all her stuff there, assuring me she would be transferring the rent $, which she never did. I removed the 4 surfboards that were inside, as well as a large toolbox full of tools, the only things of actual value, and stored them at a friend's place. When the girl finally showed up, owing 5 month's back rent and trying to beg poverty, not pay up and retreive her things, she was informed that her boards and tools would be returned when she came up with the $ she owed. It took her about 6 weeks, but she did come back with the $ and was then given her stuff back. That rent money would never have been forthcoming had I not withheld something she badly wanted back.

I’m learning!

Julieanna
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Julieanna0 

I'm not sure about where you're up to with this, but any damage between host/guest relations has already happened and whatever reviews ensue you have no control over. My question would be why don't you simply charge your guest the extra sneak-ins, extra cleaning, losses and damages through the payment request feature? Then, again after 72 hours involve Airbnb. 

Your guest "not wanting to pay" is irrelevant. The evidence is stacked in your favour so there should only be one reasonable outcome. They should be compelled to pay or it taken from your security deposit which Airbnb control on your behalf.

Oh yes, I did request it from them and waited the 72 hours,—then clicked “involve Airbnb” after my guest declined to pay.  The damage/missing items is handled by a different department, (or so I am told), than the sneak-in fees.  It is the sneak-in fees that I am continually getting the run-around on.  My replacement blind was just delivered yesterday, so I will upload receipts for repairs and replacements this evening and hope for the best from that department.  If anyone else has had experience with “sneak-in” fees,—please let me know if this is true,—i.e. that is is handled by a different department.

Julieanna
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Julieanna0 Every day I am boycotting ABB. 

My calendar opens first on my other platform. My rates are lower on the other platform. 

I accept more guests on the other platform. 

I will take abb guests, there is just a cost (to guests!) for abb’s poor decisions. 

Thumbs up to you!  What other platform are you using?

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 up until recently I would have been inclined to say that if a Host follows the TOS and files claims properly that there would be no issues.

However as of this morning after hours spent on the phone and email with CS we were informed that one of our guests are being refunded for their entire stay after they were reported by us for breaking rules.

Smoking inside, 6 illegal guests being brought into the home as well as a few other violations that were caught on camera and provided to AIrbnb. Not only was our guest well informed of the rules, I gave him TWO chances to make it right.

The guest didn't even deny it. Still gets all of his money back. I will go clean up yet another mess and anxiously await the next arrival in the new game of Airbnb "Will this one be good or bad, short term rental experience roulette" 

It's almost like Hosts are afraid to leave honest Guest reviews for future hosts due to fear of retaliation that they may be bumped down in the algorithm....surely that would never happen.

Right??

The CSR that helped us told me it was ridiculous to see what we were dealing with yet knew that there would be nothing he could do to help. Their policy is to refund the guest and inform me that it is my responsibility to go through the resolution process and hope that I receive some form of repayment for the damages I would be repairing and the mess I would be cleaning today after they vacated. 

5 days ago we logged over 12k in damages at 1 our homes and have yet to receive a call from Airbnb.

Not. A. Single. Call. 

As of this afternoon we have put ourselves on the Agenda to speak at our next City Council meeting as to accurately explain to our Representatives exactly how Airbnb is now booking guests and regarding hosts. Short Term Rental is a hot subject in our city and anytime my husband or I show up on the agenda, so does the press.

Tonight we finally accepted a long standing invitation to consult with a competing platform to help improve systems that would help to attract more HOSTS. Imagine that there could possibly be another booking platform that has been building momentum and just waiting for the perfect opportunity for Airbnb to drop the ball so they could come in and take over. 

I wonder what the impact of one of Oklahoma City's most involved Airbnb Hosts made an about face in the message she is delivering?

I wonder how many times a news story about the damage, destruction the unqualified Guests they are now passing our way will be shared? How about a video clip of the recent damage her personal home incurred? 

I wonder how much revenue Airbnb loses when an entire city makes the use of their platform illegal? 

@Andrea2711 

Speachless !!

Very sorry to hear about your predicament.

It's absolutely nauisiating that even the CSR that are being forced into enforcing "Policy" agree that the guest is at fault without question and in length explain to you what they are required to do while making sure we understand in coded conversation what our next steps are to ensure the best possible chance of recovering a portion of our loss. 

I'm so sorry, @Andrea2711 to hear about your horrific experience!  I can't imagine how devastated you must feel and the hours you have spent trying to resolve this with Airbnb.  I have been frustrated to the point of tears after having to continually repeat myself, (wasting more time), while trying to keep up with getting everything put back together for the next guests.  And, my experience is nothing but a drop in the bucket comparatively speaking!

I'm going to continue leaving a truthful review of my guests, (even if it is negative!), as I would want another host to do the same.  I thought honesty was an essential ingredient for the Airbnb platform to operate successfully,--I mean, isn't that what Airbnb encourages guests and hosts to do?  Leave honest reviews and ratings?  Yet it appears that Airbnb doesn't practice what they preach.  It appears that Airbnb is silently bullying hosts. 

Kudos to you for speaking out.  Please keep us all posted as to the competing platform as well as what Airbnb does, (surely they will do something!!), to resolve your situation. 

Julieanna
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julieanna0  I've honestly never had to write a bad review for any of my guests, which after following this forum for a couple of years, I gather is quite rare. I've just never had a bad guest (hope I'm not jinxing things by admitting that). Which doesn't mean I haven't had a couple of incidents to deal with, just that it was worked out amenably with the guest in the moment with no hard feelings either way. 

But if I did have to write up an objectionable guest, I wouldn't hesitate to do so honestly. And there's a flip side to the honest review thing- I've read posts from hosts who wanted to change their good review of the guest simply because the guest gave them low stars or complained about something in the review. I don't get that at all. I write honest reviews- if a guest left a bad review, of course I'd be upset, but it wouldn't change my honest review of my experience with the guest before and during their stay. I'd probably leave a response, saying they should have made me aware of the thing they had an issue with, so I could address it at the time, but if I said they had good pre-arrival communication, left the place clean, etc, those facts don't change just because a guest decides to get nasty in the review.

That's why hosts shouldn't leave generic good reviews for guests who caused problems, just to be nice. Whatever one writes, if it's honest, there shouldn't be any need for regret.

You are indeed fortunate, @Sarah977 .  I agree 100% with you,--regardless of what a guest has to say,--I still want honesty,--on both sides.  As you say, the facts don't change and as long as one is honest, there shouldn't be any need for regret.  What is regrettable, (in my opinion), is the way that Airbnb appears to penalize hosts.  I say "appears" because when I asked Airbnb about the odd coincidence of no bookings for 6 weeks after having to ask guests to leave my home, (and leaving a truthful review), they said they don't penalize hosts for this.  I'm not convinced.  Seems a very odd coincidence...

Julieanna