Is a guest who asks for a discount always going to be trouble?

Mark1340
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Is a guest who asks for a discount always going to be trouble?

I'm very sad today, we've been 5 star since we launched and today we just received a 3 star rating.

The guest asked me for a discount before booking because "they would only be there from late and be leaving early and would be very tidy" and I very politely explained that accommodation for one night still requires a full clean, especially in these COVID times.

Everything was going well and I was in communication with her the day after and asked how everything was going with her ferry, which I had helped her with information.  Then, boom - a bad review which, in fairness she kept as private feedback but only 3 stars.

It was a one-nighter and I was able to accommodate her very last minute request (sub 24 hours notice)

Yes, our rates are up a bit (£150 for a whole house that accommodates up to 😎 we're in a tiny tourist town and everything is booked solid and our cleaning fee is up a bit (£75) because we've chosen to fog the place for COVID after each visit and a proper full-on safety clean down. 

We're new to all this so my question to you experienced people is "Is a guest who asks for a discount always going to be trouble?" and should I just always decline them? 

Thanks

27 Replies 27
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

My experience is about 50/50 that a guest will not be ideal if they ask for a discount.  I tend to steer discount-askers away from my place and suggest other properties in the area that may be more aligned with their budget.  If, after this, they demonstrate an appreciative attitude and still want my place, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.  If not, I express to the guest that I don’t think my place would be a good fit for their stay.

Whenever I get a request for any type of “extra”, I ask myself whether this would be a reasonable request to ask of a hotel.  Since we are typically considerably more affordable with more amenities than the hotels in our area, I think asking for even more concessions is unreasonable.  Would you ask a hotel for a discount for coming late, leaving early, and keeping the place “tidy”? 

The best thing a host can keep in mind is that money for this particular booking isn’t everything.  Getting the wrong person into your place may not only hurt you now, but may affect future business as well.  You can’t always control the type of person you get, but you can manage by using your instincts whenever you can.

I can’t emphasize enough that we hosts, as a group, are obligated to each other to set the proper expectations for our guests.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mark1340  Not always, but often.  I had one guest who tried, very hard, to negotiate a discount, which I ended up giving him, but less than he asked for, and he and his family were lovely guests.  I feel he was the exception, he also came from a culture where a bit of negotiating on price is the norm.  Most of the time I have found guests who want a discount end up being more demanding and more problematic.  It also somewhat depends on if there are any other red flags that go w/the request for a discount. 

Mark1340
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Mark

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Mark1340I personally don't entertain people who ask for a discount. I did once when I was new, and they ended up being liars and problem guests. I don't feel it's worth it to take the risk.

Great advice, thanks!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mark1340 

Yes Mark, I am afraid you have found out the hard way!

Potential Guests fall into two categories....

A/.......Passive/Complimentary!

B/.......Aggressive/demanding!

When a guest comes to me and says ...."We have seen your lovely listing and can't wait to stay for a couple of days", I can't hit the accept button fast enough! They have not required anything other than what I stated in my listing description, they just want to pull out their credit card and stay! I know they will be great appreciative guests! I don't want to check on their background, they have told me everything I need to know!

When a guest comes to me with a list of requests....."We are in Mt Barker for a wedding, is there off street parking?.........can we have the wedding party over for a drink?.....is there WiFi  available so we can send some pics back to England? "   No, hang on, this is my property, you get to accept what I offer, not what you demand, and if you had read the listing description fully those questions would have been answered!.......Mark, big red flag!  

Mark, there is a golden rule attached to STR....."You never let to hagglers"! Every time a haggler asks something of you, they strengthen their ground and they weaken yours. The requests keep coming until you will do anything for them to get them out of your life!

Mark, hagglers are easy to pick! Just look at their introductory message or their enquiry request, study the wording! If they are after something you have not already stated, or you are prepared to entertain......run like **bleep** mate, decline their request, suggest they should look elsewhere!

Cheers......Rob 

Mark1340
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Brilliant response and I appreciate you taking the time to offer me advice.  Thanks Rob!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mark1340 

Mark, we learn by experience! In 2015 I was a 'full on' greenhorn. This CC made me a confident host because I was able to learn from others that had been through similar experiences!

I may be lucky because I never get a bad guest these days.....maybe that is sheer luck but, I think the CC has had a lot to do with that. I know what to look for and I bless those that have given me good advice over the years! 

Mark, good luck mate!

Cheers.....Rob

Excellent and well-written advice.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I’ve already contributed my ideas, but I’d like to add a little caveat.  There are truly those guests that are stellar people, but who feel or have been taught that “It can’t hurt to ask”.  

I once stayed at a place for 23 days, and asked if I could have their low-season rate, plus the housecleaning fee removed.  They accommodated me, and I asked for nothing more.  The stay went beautifully; as guests go, I think I was a pretty good one. 🙂

There are also those that ask if you offer military discounts, or senior citizen discounts or other such discounts sometimes offered by other types of establishments.  I don’t, and after I tell them this, they usually book anyway.

As I said, the “follow-up” to the question often discloses more than the question itself.  If the follow-up is “Oh,ok, just thought I’d ask, no problem, love your place!” - I’m fine with that. 🙂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pat271,

Your comment was very enlightening.  My initial response was, "Why would you ask someone for a discount when you knew the rate before booking?".  Then I thought about it more, and have decided that if I am inclined to honor a request for a discount or extra amenity, that I will clearly state my limits.  "Yes, you may have the low season discount, but we will not provide any additional changes to the rate, amenities or house rules."

@Debra300  I think the main reason I asked, and the main reason the host was flexible, was because we were staying for 23 days.  It’s common in that area to provide discounts for longer stays.

I currently have guests staying for 33 days.  They are ICU nurses working at the local hospital.  I gave them a huge discount without them even asking. So...all of this definitely depends on the particular situation.

In general, though, I’m pretty firm and am very cautious about booking guests who ask for discounts or who seem high-maintenance with their questions - “Is your sofa bed comfortable? Are the items in your starter-pack guaranteed? What is the brand of your mattresses? Which spices do you provide?” ... ugh. 🙂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pat271,

Your post made me re-think my initial contrary reaction to a discount request thinking that a person is asking me to make accommodations to fit their wallet.  Instead of following an automatic inclination to say no, I will clearly state my limits for any changes to rates and amenities.  I may even make a counter-off, and ask the guest which amenities are they willing to forego for a discount.

Personally, discount requests for long-term stays are difficult propositions to consider, because these guests tend to stay indoors for extended periods of time.  This usually leads to significantly higher electricity costs due to extra utilization of air conditioning and other appliances/fixtures.  A discounted three-week stay can yield the same profit as a seven night stay at the regular rate.

I did a search for this topic and am enjoying this thread.  I love your question what amenities are you will to fore-go, because I often ask myself hit question internally when they ask for a discount.  

And you are correct -- I have a prolonged inquiry right now  where the guest keeps asking if I have an wiggle room in the price.,  SHE is looking at my low season rate, it is already g highly discounted for the month and  indicated she will be working from home.   my rates go up next month into the summer rates. She asked very nicely  and somehow that got past me even though I have not agreed to a discount and won't.  But I am not sure why I even think about these situations after what I have experienced because  all of my discount-asking guests have turned out to be demanding and difficult guests with plenty of needs beyond the first ask....  Thank you for your comments!