Is anyone else concerned about Airbnb not showing photos anymore until guests have booked?

Kaye37
Level 3
Kelvin Grove, Australia

Is anyone else concerned about Airbnb not showing photos anymore until guests have booked?

I once had a guy who tried to book and his photo was of him holding a bottle of whisky and sticking his tongue in his partner's ear.  I decided that he was NOT a suitable guest for my beloved holiday unit.  I am not talking about any sort of descrimination here, but if someone is wanting to stay in my property and the photo is like that then I think we should have the right to say no.  What do you think?

32 Replies 32

@Kaye37 

Completely agree. Imo, the profile pic that a guest chooses says "a lot" about the type of person they are. It's not just about putting a face to a name.

This does not resolve the issue. By checking this box, you still will only see the photo AFTER you have confirmed. This is from the link you shared. 

Copied from your link:

"If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space."

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaye37  Welcome to the forum. There are several threads running on this with hundreds of posts. It's a good idea to use the search function on this site before posting an issue, so you can see if there's already something going on the topic that you can add your voice to, as well as seeing, if it's a question you have, if it's already been answered somewhere. Can save time if you need a quick reply to an urgent issue.

Alice491
Level 4
Coogee, Australia

@Lizzie hi Lizzie can you please give us an update on this topic? It's making us very uneasy and very reluctant to accept guests. You have to accept that we do have some level professionalism to host but do have the right to see people before I accept the booking. Are you going to be reversing this?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alice491 

If by Lizzie you refer to the Administrator / Moderator of the Community Centre, please know Lizzie is not employee of Airbnb, therefore, she cannot tell you if the policy will be reversed or not.

@Alon1 - Lizziehas represented herself as an employee of Airbnb.  She moderates this forum for them along with Quincy.  There are other foreign language forums moderated by other Airbnb employees.  It is why the Community Forums are integrated into the Airbnb platform.   What makes you think that she is not an Airbnb employee?

@Alice-and-Jeff0 

@Alon1 is correct. The CC is not run by Airbnb itself, or staffed by Airbnb employees, but is outsourced instead to a London firm called Standing on Giants, whose function it is to build and manage "brand-owned communities", as opposed to organic communities. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0 

re 'What makes you think...'

Now you know following Susan's reply.....

You can further confirm for yourself if you look up the London company Standing on Giants.

From 'Our Team', you will find Lizzie's full name, and from there you can check her profile on Linked-In. Lizzie's CV does not include Airbnb! 

What is more surprising is to see on your Airbnb profile that one of you has marked 'Airbnb' as your 'Work'. It suggests one of you is an employee of Airbnb. 

What is less surprising that Susan is considerably knowledgable than many Airbnb employees.

Susan is currently working on a book on Airbnb, and I for one look forward to an illuminating read.

Alice491
Level 4
Coogee, Australia

She said she was. Are we talking about the same Lizzie?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I am STILL able to see guest profile pics on the app, if I click on "view profile" after receiving an inquiry or request to book.

It doesn't work on the desktop version. Just FYI in case this glitch is applicable to anyone else!

I can see nothing!  No photo and no past reviews.  I don't care what the potential guest looks like but, having had nothing but trouble from dirty guests for the past year, I would find it comforting to know something about people BEFORE we allow them to complete the booking process.  I don't think that is  unreasonble?  If I cannot be forewarned, then I see no point in leaving reviews from the point of view of the host.  The only way it could be possible is if I were to accept Instant Book and then only after the booking has been confirmed.  Then I understand I can cancel without penalty!  Simply not good enough.  I used to be possible but the constant tweeking drives me mad

I don't see it on the app either. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Kaye37 

You have a point!