Is it a problem if guest mentions refund in their 5 star review?

Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Is it a problem if guest mentions refund in their 5 star review?

Hi Everyone,

We are newer Airbnb hosts.  We had an unusual situation this past weekend.  We had an upcoming blizzardous snowstorm, and our guest decided to leave one day early so that she could avoid the storm and make it home.  We offered her a one night refund due to the circumstances that were out of her control.  She was a great guest . 

On the 5 star review that she left for us, she mentioned that we were nice enough to refund her a night due to the impending snowstorm.  I do not want future guests to take advantage of our generosity.  I reached out to her to take that sentance out of our review, and she was happy to do so.  Unfortunately, she couldn't though, as we had already written our review first.

Should we be worried?  Will this be an issue in the future?  Will somebody see that and try to take advantage?

Thanks for any input that you have on the situation.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dean-And-Stacey0,

I would not worry to much about this, every situation/guest is unique and requires a unique treatment. Also the review shows you arranged a refund for them from Airbnb(!) :>) You must have magic powers Airbnb doing that !

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you for your response!  That's helpful.  I can't tell if I'm overthinking it, or if it won't be a big deal?

I should clarify, I did arrange the refund, and it was through the Airbnb website, but it still came from our pocket.  Being new to this, Airbnb was really helpful in walking me through the process.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Dean-And-Stacey0 I wouldn't worry for one minute about their review. It is long enough so people have to even click to read more......it's so positive that I would just be happy with it and if you ever have to do such again....mention to guests its a special for JUST them.... Lovely place you have, WOW.

blessings to you both, Clara 

You made some good points.  Thank you! 

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Dean-And-Stacey0

Don’t worry! You are doing everything correctly and no need to try to get that refund sentence removed (won’t happen anyway)..... if you like, you can take advantage of the reply option you have to write a sentence or two that will show up under their review..... and future guests will be able to read it and see it was for an extenuating circumstance.

Write something like “x and y were fabulous guests and it was a shame the unusual winter storm weather we had at the end of their stay meant they had to leave a day early - but glad to know the got home safe and it was a pleasure hosting them!”

you have the option to reply to any review within 14 days of receiving it.

Asheville is a lovely town (I used to live in Montford neighborhood) and you will get plenty of bookings and plenty of newer reviews, which will be the ones future guests read..... but really - the mention of a refund for a weather related departure is not something anyone will try to get away with just because they may have read it in a review. :-))

Happy Hosting!

Rachael x

That's a great reply that you posted, and a couple of great points that you made. 

I'm going to stop worrying now.  Hahaha

Thank you for your response!