Should I ask my guests to leave a review?

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Should I ask my guests to leave a review?

I'm new to Airbnb and just had my first two bookings, back to back. Both parties were lovely, and I have written them both positive 5 star reviews.  I understand that reviews are not posted until both parties have written, which I think is an excellent policy, so that one review is not influencing the other.  

My question is - is it appropriate to ask a guest to leave a review after their stay has ended?  

As a new host, I am well aware of the importance of reviews.  I would like to send a thank you to each party after their stay, and include a request to leave a review.  

Does anyone do such a thing, and is it considered appropriate and customary?

Thank you so much!

Jude

25 Replies 25
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Did you include it in the 'private message to your guest' as part of the review?

If not, then wait a few days to see if they post a review as they will be prompted to do so.

If you are getting close to the 14 days and there is no sign of them posting a review, then there is no harm in a very brief email asking them to do so, stressing that you wouldn't normally chase people but as you are new to AirBnB you need to build up a few reviews to encourage more bookings.

Thank you, Gerry and Rashid! I appreciate the suggestion of including a request for a review to the section of the review process about private messages for the guest.  Good suggestion!  Is there any way for me to know if they have written a review about me, as I'm sitting down to write a review about them?

Question - I believe reviews are not posted for 14 days, to give both parties time to respond? However, will reviews be posted sooner than 14 days if both parties have submitted a review?  

Is it correct to assume that since I have posted reviews, but no reviews have been posted for me as of yet, that both of my departing guests have not yet left a review?

How best to prompt them when the 14 day mark approaches?  Will I get any sort of a reminder from Airbnb that the 14 days is approaching if I have already left my own review?

Thanks again!

Jude

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 @Jude7

Wait, what? This doesn't make sense.  Do you mean where you leave private feedback for your guest in the review? They won't see it until they've actually completed their review.  

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

It's personal choice. I think that the "ask" is a bit much but think it's fine to leave a posted message that reminds them of checkout times and thanks them for their review. 

Our guests anationsklsore usually new airbnb members. I tell them that we will both be receiving an email from airbnb prompting us to write a review. And a little explanation about how the process works. I don't ask for a review.
Lisa36
Level 5
Australia

I know quite a few hosts who do ask for a review, but I don't like to ask in advance however and yes a few of my guests haven't bothered to leave one. That's just the nature of hosting and sometime guests are travelling and don't have access to internet and sometimes they forget.  I had one guest send me a sms about 6 weeks after their departure asking why they can no longer post a review as they loved my place!

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Thank you to those who responded.  Interesting to read that those who responded don't typically ask for a review.  

Because I understand that sometimes, guests just don't understand the importance of leaving a review, I was thinking of sending a Thank You note after they've left, something like, 

"Thank you so much for staying with me!  I hope your stay met or exceeded your expectations.  

The well-being of my guests is important to me.  If there was anything that you would have liked to have been different, I would welcome your comments, sent to me privately.  And if your experience was one that you think others would also enjoy, then I would encourage you to leave me a review when Airbnb sends you a request to do so, which will be emailed to you within the next couple of days."

What do more experienced hosts think about the above note?

Thank you, in advance, for your comments!

Jude

Jude I'm a new host and I LOVE your wording

I'd keep it much more simple: thank for staying with us it was great to have you here. If you enjoyed the experience please leave us a review - you'll get en email from Airbnb promptpting you to do so. Enjoy the rest of your trip (or whatever sign off is best). Just nKe it friendly and conversational - people respond best to that rather than an afficial request for a review: hope that helps. Goodbluck

Thank you!  I'm new to hosting and this helps me so much!  

Thanks so much for this example Jude! I have had 3 parties book and stay in the past couple of weeks, and all 3 stays were seamless. However, I have yet to receive a review from any of them. As a new host, I am desperate to build up my reviews and rating, so I have tailored the above message to be more personal to each of the parties, in hopes that they leave a review. Thanks again!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jude7 I've been lucky enough to have racked up quite a few 5* reviews, but it seems like lately some guests haven't left one.  I think they might have felt that I have so many they don't need to add one which is not true.  In evaluating Super Host status, Airbnb want to see that at least 50% of guests leave a review. 

So, in light of that, if I think a guest has forgotten to leave a review, I send them a message telling them how important it is to my business that they leave a review.  Of course, I'm not going to chase down anyone who I think might leave a marginal review.  Only the ones that I'm quite sure will leave a good one.  It has paid off. 

At check out I also ask them to leave a review and we've had interesting discussions about reviews and Airbnb in general.  My guests have always been interested in how Airbnb works. 

Thank you so much, Clare, for confirming my instincts.  In my main line of work, my business also lives by reviews.  I have always made it part of my protocol to politely request for a review, because I am aware that others don't care about reviews as much as I do! I understand it's human nature to be lax about such things, which is why I thought a polite email letting guests know of the importance of reviews would be a good idea.

Although new to Airbnb, I'm not new to the hospitality business, and have put my sites on achieving Superhost status, which I understand makes the need for current reviews as important as they are for someone just starting out.

Will reviews be posted as soon as both parties leave reviews?

@Jude7 During the 14 day period once both parties have left a review both reviews will be made public instantly.  If one party doesn't leave a review but the other does, the lone review will become public.  So in the cases where I left a review but my guest didn't, my review becomes public after the 14 day period.  🙂