Is it safe to include a glass coffee table in an airbnb space?

Adrian500
Level 2
Whitby, United Kingdom

Is it safe to include a glass coffee table in an airbnb space?

Hello, 

My new airbnb listing has gone live a few weeks ago. One of the issues I had to compromise on was a lovely high quality coffee table witzh a tempered glass top, which I bought for the living room. My spouse vetoed it saying it will scare potential guests off.

Would you agree? it would give such an elegant touch to our place.

Thanks in advance, 

Krisztina  

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Adrian500   I have several glass tables, dining and side tables, and have never had any guest comment.  Are you planning to allow small children?  Some parents might not want the kids around a glass table.  Tempered glass should be safe, but should there be an accident, you might not be fully reimbursed.

Hello Linda,

Thanks for the super fast reply 🙂

I don't allow infants 0-2 yrs but I do allow older children.

Do you name glass tables in your listing as a safety issue?

Thanks again,

Krisztina

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Adrian500  I would be more worried about guests breaking a glass table, I would doubt a glass table would put anyone off renting the space.

Adrian500
Level 2
Whitby, United Kingdom

Hey Mark, thanks for the comment.

I never even thought of that possibility, honestly. Probably because the other alternative for this lovely table is to be squandered for a pittance... Even though it is brand new, it is out of the packaging...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Adrian500 

we have a glass top tv table, coffee table, and 9-bed tables. We are hosting for 3 years and they are still here 🙂 They are also easy to clean, no permanent water stains and glass is easy to replace if it breaks.

Dear Branka and Silvia,

That is convincing. Thanks a lot for your input!

I'm especially happy to see that you actually have a glass coffee table.

I was worried that as it is placed low, kids might fall on it and hurt themselves. But I guess they would have to jump straight on top to do that 🙂 

Best.

@Adrian500  we don't host kids anymore but when we did, we always warned parents about glass tables, etc. None of them were concerned about it and kids didn't break them.

We have chosen glass because it is easier to replace the glass than the entire table or a night stand and besides, even if scratched it doesn't look so bad as the other furniture does.

Thaks to your response and all the other hosts', my spouse has agreed to have the glass table put in the living room. YES! I will let parents with little kids know, like you did.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

My kitchen table is made of glass. Steel frame with a tempered glass over it. Durable, very easy to clean and still no one complained about it . This tables are quite common these days.