Is offering bikes and/or kayaks too much of a risk?

Is offering bikes and/or kayaks too much of a risk?

My wife and I are about to dive head-first into the AirBnb world and are very excited to do so.  We both enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities and thought it'd be cool to offer various things such as bikes to ride as well as kayaks (could possibly charge for tours as well?).  Are these types of offerings risky from a liability standpoint?  Our area is VERY touristy and PACKED in the summer so the bikes wold not only be fun but are actually a much quicker way to get through our downtown area without worrying about the CONSTANT backups and utter lack of open parking.  Any insight and advice is greatly welcomed!

1 Reply 1
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

As for bicycles, that can be a good idea as long they are inexpensive and you provide locks. I wouldn't buy anything expensive for guest use. I don't know about kayaks though.

If I allowed guests to use bicycles or kayaks, I would absolutely find a disclaimer document online for them to sign before use. In this sue-happy society, everyone is looking for an excuse to try to obtain a payout if an accident were to happen.