Is snow a natural disaster!??

John110
Level 2
Denver, CO

Is snow a natural disaster!??

My guest this weekend is trying to cancel because they are driving here and didn't want to drive all the way because of some snow we got yesterday. Can they claim this as a natural disaster!?
They requested to cancel after the check in time and can easily still make it here today.
I got the email that airbnb is waiting on documents from them to decide.
This seems unfair to me as a host that someone can decide they don't want to drive, then cancel. My policy is strict since it is a rental home only.
Thanks.
3 Replies 3
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@John110 I would tend to agree with you.  If they want to cancel and get a full refund, they'll need to take it up with Airbnb.  I'm not in charge of making the decision, but I wouldn't consider snow to be a natural disaster.  That said, I did hear that the Denver Airport was closed..

Natural disasters in my mind would be a situation where Fema / National Guard was called out or there was the potential for physical damage like a tornado, earthquake, etc. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

No, a little snow is not a natural disaster - at least not where I come from. And probably not in Denver either 😉 That said, you cannot prevent any booked guests from cancelling if they want to and get refunded according to your cancellation policy.  Cancelling the same day will not give them a refund with a strict policy and you will be paid in full.  

Normally weather issues is a case where the travel insurance kicks in.

Hopefully, airbnb will not side with the guest in this instance.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I had this happen over Christmas, it really was not that bad but ABB did cancel and I received nothing.

Denver yesterday, well that would have been fair, today?

David