Is their a way to offer extras, like access to kayaks and canoes, to guests through Airbnb?

Susan634
Level 2
Blacketts Lake, Canada

Is their a way to offer extras, like access to kayaks and canoes, to guests through Airbnb?

I have 2 kayaks and a row boat at my lakefront property and would like to buy more to give my guests options.  (I have purchased insurance coverage to do this)  I could up the price of the nightly stay to fund the purchases but then I will price myself higher than the other places near me (who are not on the water) if I do.  I thought about asking for cash or e-mail money transfer when they arrive to give them the key to the room where they are stored but I hoped that there might be a way to do it through the website.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible?  If it can't be done through Airbnb has anyone found a good way to offer extras such as this that has worked out well or ways not to do it.  Boating gear is not cheap, nor is the insurance so I want to be able to recoup the costs but not lose out on guests who don't care about getting out on the water.  Suggestions?  I am relativly new to this.

18 Replies 18
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure you can't do this due to the fixed nature of the Airbnb system, however you could offer your kayaking & boating as an "Airbnb experience" if that's set up in your country: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/host/experiences

Sounds like an interesting venture! 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Had considered it, but level of risk and guest interaction required is too high against the reward. Providing all equipment, tuition,  getting kayak in and out of water, meeting guests etc would become a whole other job.

Susan634
Level 2
Blacketts Lake, Canada

Last summer I just left the boats outside and I only provided the paddles after they told me what size pfd's they needed.  This year I thought I would keep the boats, paddles and pfd's in the contained crawl space under the cottage with a combination lock and give them the code after they paid the extra fee.  Not sure what that fee will be yet though but thought it would be a onetime flat fee for their entire stay.  I made sure that the business insurance I purchased would cover the use of the boats by guests.  I might do some kind of a waiver to really cover my 'assets'.  So I didn't see how that would be any extra work for me other than if they don't put them away at the end.  They would put the boats in and out of the water themselves.  Were you thinking that it would be an hourly or daily rental?

I would worry more about renter liability. In case something goes terribly wrong, like an accident to guests, or their kids. Where I live you need to be fully bonded, provide safety gear, instructions, sign a waiver, have first aid, etc. if you are a legit kayak operator that meets all criteria and regulations - Then go for it... Air will never offer a service that exposes it to litigation. Anyway, seems like you will go ahead regardless - so best of luck

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Susan634 I'm considering offering scheduled blocks of time to guests at our (not as of yet built, but rather, in idea stage) backyard pool/spa. (the guest space is in a different part of the yard from our house and where the pool would be, so this wouldn't be an all the time available amenity, but an extra they could add)

You can either: Alter their reservation to the new higher amount OR use the Request Money feature. I'm leaning toward the second.

Susan634
Level 2
Blacketts Lake, Canada

@Kelly149  Awesome suggestions thank you. I am leaning towards the second option also. 

Diana617
Level 1
Sumter, SC

I wouldn't bother with this. Airbnb has a terrible history of not supporting hosts in regards to claims...

Susan634
Level 2
Blacketts Lake, Canada

That is why I purchased my own insurance incase they would not cover any deliberate damage. From what I have been reading I don't put much faith in their willingness to help. Seems like other hosts are warning me about things that guests can damage and the liability.  Am I the only person who would not rent out a shoe box with out having my own insurance to cover it? Or am I looking through rose coloured glasses?

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED WHAT YOU ARE SPENDING FOR INSURANCE AND ANY/ALL EXPENSES VERSES YOUR PROFIT.  WHY GO THRU ALL THAT TROUBLE AND HAVE MORE LIABILITIES, COST IF THE PROFIT ISNT THERE....JUST SAYING YOU NEED TO WAY EVERYTHING! 🙂

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Susan634 I'm pretty sure the only way to do it through airbnb is through the resolution center: request money for extra services. It's a pain, but the silver lining is nobody pays any airbnb service fee on the amount.

FWIW we provide watercraft and PFD to our guests (no charge) and haven't had any issues. But everyone must e-sign our liability waiver before we provide the combination to the locks.

Would you be willing to share your liability waiver?

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Certainly not a new idea I’m sure but....Seems it would be fairly easy for Airbnb to add an “extras” section that guests could select from, kind of like when you place an online dinner order. Hosts could add to this section the item and the additional charge. A check box is all the guest would need to do to add the item to their reservation at time of booking.  This could then be added to the total and voila, done and Airbnb gets a little piece of the action to boot.  

A few examples:

We offer a complimentary “breakfast basket” for longer bookings but could also offer to the one night guest for a small fee. 

BBQ tank rental. 

Bike rental. 

Clarity on this being possible or why it’s not would be great.  

Helen267
Level 10
St. Andrews, United Kingdom

I know! Why can't we have add-ons? I'd like to be able to charge the cleaning fee for bringing a dog upfront, and to offer a mid-week clean and change of laundry, different picnic hampers delivered etc.

@Helen267  You can you just have to list them in your description and charge via the request for money for the services. Many people do this all the time. AirBnB does make it more difficult than it needs to be by not giving us the extra fee's option.