Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

I have had on-going problems with Airbnb, as a host.  There software is full of bugs.  There 'customer service' handlers are often ignorant, simple, incapable of understanding problems, live in America and think that the system should be the same for everyone (not country dependent) and unable to solve problems.

Any organisation the size of Airbnb should have a clear, effective and transparent Complaints Handling Procedure for complaints against them. 

Airbnb misleds their customer base.

Airbnb misrepresents the service that they offer.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties by mis-placing their properties.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties in terms of pricing - they advertise incorrect prices.

Airbnb mapping software is seriously flawed - properties disappear from exact locatity map displays

Airbnb's algorithms for deciding which properties to display first (on the left in photo) is supposed to be random, but it clearly isn't

Airbnb is not what it purports to be and there appears to be no recourse.

Hosts are reliant on Airbnb's software working accurately and for complaints and problems to be resolved in a timely fashion.  Currently this is not so.  The risks of using Airbnb are significant.

Airbnb can not be relied upon.

145 Replies 145
Jeana8
Level 2
Vallauris, France

HI - this company is just a shame and a joke.  I'm hoping that with the COVID 19 - they will crumble and die off.  They deserve no better.  They are an absolute DISGRACE.  Shame on you AIRBNB.  I'm an owner of an apartment which I rented out to a girl long term.  The girl's boyfriend (who wasn't on the rental contract) rented out MY apartment via Airbnb.  I would like to prosecute these people.  BUT Airbnb won't give me any information on all the illegal rentals which were done in My Apartment for at least 2 years (that I know of).  I had printed out the ad and the guest reviews at the time.  But this is not enough as evidence in a court of law.  I've contacted airbnb 10 times over this - even wrote to their CEO.  No answer of course...  Their customer service keep sending me emails robotic emails saying that they are sorry BUT they need to protect the privacy rights of the illegal host.   

So a msg to any tenant out there that wants to illegally rent their rental  without the owners written authorisation via Airbnb to make some extra $$ - GO AHEAD!  The owner won't be able to do a thing about it.  AIRBNB will protect that host until their dying day.  SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB. 

Rossana121
Level 3
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Hi @Jeana8 , I don't have deep knowledge of lodging laws in France, but I believe that, as the owner of the apartment, you can rescind the rental right away calling out the subletting cause.

Airbnb doesn't ask if someone is the owner of the place the host lists, nor it gets involved in matters of subletting.

If the lease you had your tenant sign specifically prohibits subletting, you can have her out right away for breach. If you want to prosecute her, I don't think you need Airbnb's help. But if you do, you can go to law enforcement, as they may have better chances to obtain information.

Of course Airbnb will not give out information, because they have no way of verifying who's who and who owns what. They might if the request comes from a judge. You have to bring your tenant to court.

Valerie682
Level 2
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom

I am amazed that a platform that is a well established as Airbandb does not have an official complaint system for hosts. There is an enormous responsibility as a host in terms of the well being of their guests and of course of guest satisfaction. Ensuring both of these requirements is what MAKES airbandb successful and yet the company does not support its hosts. I advertise on HomeAway as well as airbandb and I find the service vastly superior and the guests also more respectful of my property. I am really disappointed in the service airbandb provide as a company to its hosts considering they are making very good money from my efforts.

Julian169
Level 2
Abergavenny, United Kingdom

I have experienced extreme frustration with AIR B & B. I was told that my payments had been paused, when I queried it i was told it was a mistake, more of the same messages arrived and I was then told that I had to complete a verification process. All of this took several days because once I agreed to do so because I am owed money by Air B & B for two Guest visits the verification site would not allow me to action it. This was eventually resolved after many, many phone calls by me and emails. I provided a photo as requested and was told that it didn't match the one they already had . I told them it is me. I provided 4 more along with my passport and Driving License and received confirmation that the Process had been completed. All this took about 2 days. The next day I requested payment owed to me and after further phone calls and emails I was notified that the Verification Process needed to be done, I told them that I had received confirmation that it had been completed and the reply was that payment could not be made because it is a different department who needs to deal with it. I am at a loss. I have spent several days trying to resolve the matter. I honoured the bookings to the Guests who had booked even though there was an issue about payment and I would warn any would be Hosts who are considering using Air B & B to reconsider and use a more straight forward Agency and I will not be accepting any further enquiries from them whilst this is still going on. J Fonseca, Wales

So far we have not seen this issue but it seems to be commonplace for some. 

We would not allow any guest with a "payment issue" to check-in.  If this happened with a booking for us, we would demand that Air fixes it within 4 hours or free up our calendar and cancel the booking.  This is a game that we do not play with our property. 

I called the Generali number that Airbnb provided but could not get live support my request for a full refund based on my travel insurance purchase, which the Airbnb agent confirmed would cover a full refund of our reservation deposit. PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that we are now pursuing this matter as a JOINT FRAUD by Airbnb and Generali Insurance with our credit card company and the Consumer Fraud Division of our State’s Attorney General.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven1394 

Sorry to hear about this.

I've passed the above information over to Airbnb Support and asked if they can make contact with you.

I hope you hear back from them soon.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Diana495

Have you tried Twitter?

David

@David126  I think it's outrageous that one should have to join a social media site that one may want nothing to do with, in order to get timely response and action from Airbnb.

I filed a complaint through FairShake, an organization that will file a complaint directly to Airbinb without resorting through court. It is a legit company but they charge a fee.    I used tweeter but did not get me anywhere.  And I did communicate with Airbnb umpteen times.

I have not been paid as a host for 17 days.  The guest has paid them a month before she arrived.  

Airbnb is floating the money by not doing payouts on the first day.  I feel that the hospitality and travel industries are taking a hit because of the economy and Covid.  Therefore, Airbnb  is resorting to changing their policies to keep the money longer.  But why would we, as hosts, take the hit.  We provide the service.  We are their lifeline.

Claim Submitted - FairShake

@Sarah977

I joined Twitter just for that.

Only took a moment.

David

i followed you advice and confirm that it takes just a moment for their reply

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David126  it has nothing to do with the time it takes to join Twitter. I don't want to participate in Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram or any of it. IMO these social media sites are dumbing down society. And we shouldn't have to join another site to get timely responses from airbnb.

I do not participate in Twitter, just use it as a messaging service, solely to contact AirBnB.

David