Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

I have had on-going problems with Airbnb, as a host.  There software is full of bugs.  There 'customer service' handlers are often ignorant, simple, incapable of understanding problems, live in America and think that the system should be the same for everyone (not country dependent) and unable to solve problems.

Any organisation the size of Airbnb should have a clear, effective and transparent Complaints Handling Procedure for complaints against them. 

Airbnb misleds their customer base.

Airbnb misrepresents the service that they offer.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties by mis-placing their properties.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties in terms of pricing - they advertise incorrect prices.

Airbnb mapping software is seriously flawed - properties disappear from exact locatity map displays

Airbnb's algorithms for deciding which properties to display first (on the left in photo) is supposed to be random, but it clearly isn't

Airbnb is not what it purports to be and there appears to be no recourse.

Hosts are reliant on Airbnb's software working accurately and for complaints and problems to be resolved in a timely fashion.  Currently this is not so.  The risks of using Airbnb are significant.

Airbnb can not be relied upon.

145 Replies 145

Gillian can you find out from the guest how much Airbnb charged them? Maybe you could make an arrangement with the guest to pay you the difference and then they could complain to Airbnb???

I have just purchased a property which was listed on Airbnb and negotiated the price dependent on anticipated income from rental dates in the future. Airbnb can't seem to figure out how to transfer the future booked dates from one owner to another! This is absolutely asinine! I can't believe website of the supposed stature of Airbnb can't even transfer ownership other property from one host to another. If there is no class action lawsuit pending I'm with you I agree we should start one. It seems the only way for me to do this is cancel all reservations. I can't believe Airbnb would want to pay back thousands of dollars to multiple people when they cancel. I'm also trying to understand how to sue them 4 missed reservation Revenue because of this screwing around. The incompetence I have seen at Airbnb with both the help department and the software in trenches in my mind that this is a total scam and I am amazed that they can even report themselves as reservation management company.

I am in the US and I’ve been a Superhost for about 4 years, and now I’m thinking about not hosting anymore.  They keep our payouts for unreasonably long periods with no explanation.  Customer Service is atrocious.  I had a 3rd Party rental, which are not legal, and a scary man show up instead of the woman I thought was to arrive, and I had to call to have him removed and they actually found another place for this imposter to stay.  They had no ID, government verification, no verification on him what so ever, except he “says” he is the Bookers husband. He broke several house rules, including smoking!  Yes, smoking in a non-smoking home.  And I had to fight tooth and nail for days to get AirBnB to simply pay me the Cleaning fee owed to me.  Then, when I asked for the review this woman-who has never stepped foot in my house—leaves a negative review!  Are you kidding me?  When I ask it be removed, all I get is the run around, from low-level CS people. This company used to have our backs.  Not anymore.  If anyone does start a class action suit, please include me.  This man they put in peoples homes was not a viable guest, never vetted, not mentally stable, verbally aggressive and they not only allowed him in my home, they moved him to another home. And won’t even put me in touch with anyone of authority to hear me out.  We need names of higher-ups to listen to us.

Im thinking about filling a law suit, back in June 2019 a guest rented my place throw a huge party, had an orgy  and burglarized my home, had a shooting inside and outside of my home. They totally destroyed my home. Reached out to airbnb when my cleaning crew went to clean home, didnt hear anything from airbnb 10 days later because I took it to social media and the news than they respond. They sent an insurance adjuster to our home 2 months later, after I repaired the damages and put my home on the market.

Hi - I appreciate your post was sometime ago however I am currently experiencing the same issue with a payment having been withheld for a month now!!!! All I get is "I understand your frustration I've reported it your issue will be resolved soon" I get no answers.

I've asked for a senior member of management to contact me but nothing and I have literally no where to go?!

How long did it take for your to receive your payout? Thanks

Diana495
Level 10

Hi Alex,

I would submit a Subject Access Request (see ICO for template letter), ask for all communication relating to this case, this will include all phones calls (request audio versions, so they can't redact/edit it).  This might not get your money back, but it provides you with evidence.  You could then take the matter up with Trading Standards, national press, look up organisations who are looking into the sharp practises of this belligerent organisation.

As this thread has made very clear, there is no Formal Complaint Procedure, lots of sharp practises, and an above the law attitude.

Candace40
Level 2
Fairhope, AL

OK here is my story, I have a guest in my house three streets over.  We have actually become friends.  She checked in December 1 2017 to stay 4 months.  She paid up front to AirBnB for all four months.  They were suppose to pay me at the beginning of each month for her stay.  So first month was days late and every month it has gotten worse.  This month, March the last one,  today is the the ninth of March, I have called 7 times.  No one can explain why I do not have my payment.  So I began canceling all my reservations from June forward.  Really i wanted to give guest the chance to make other arrangements.  Within two hours I just got notice that they are going to send my money, but they are deducting 100 dollars because I had cancelled future reservations.  I would be willng to give up this $1100 to take take this website to court.  This is awful. Soo unfair.  Am I the only one having trouble here?????????

@Candace40, did the guest pay in a timely manner? For monthly bookings, the time that your host payment arrives can be affected by when the guest pays.

Also, you probably would not have a lot of luck taking AirBnB to court. When you agreed to be a host, you also agreed to use Binding Arbitration instead of the normal court process. (Even more fun: you waived your right to participate in any Class Action regarding AirBnB.)

I am not sure why you felt it was necessary to cancel all your reservations because the payment was late.

Am I missing something obvious?

I felt it was necessary because I am taking my home off there website.  I am honoring the ones through May as they may not have enough time to make other arrangements.  Their customer service has fallen so bad.  Not only was the payment to me ten days late, when I called they could not give me any explaination and said they would call me or email me with an update.  They never called or emailed until last night "finally".  And basically said they were sending the payment minus $100 dollars because I canceled the May forward reservations.  So I guess the other rule is you cannot cancel a reservation that is almost 2 months without charges.  Anyway, lesson learned I'm off this site soon. Enough said,

Diana495
Level 10

In the UK, the courts do not look favourably on unfair contracts.  Are you saying that Airbnb refuse to accept a ruling of a higher court, in the USA?  In the UK, there is the Information Commissioner who can rule on the goings on of Airbnb, regardless of their T & Cs.

Diana495
Level 10

How did I forget.....Airbnb are toxic!

No you're not the only one having trouble. I think we need to go to the State Attorney General's office and explain what a scam is happening. Shut those guys down! At least until they can straighten out their help situation and their website to accommodate normal everyday issues.

Deborah384
Level 1
Rhode Island, United States

Hi All,

I am just seeing this for the first time. I have been a super host for 4-years now and have done a wonderful job hosting guests and enjoying my roll. I basicly have had very good experiences with my guests and for every 'bad' guest there appears to be a 5-'good' guests. 

I recently had guests who viloated my house rules. My house mannual specifies that breaking of those rules results in a forfiet of their $1000 security deposit. What has happened since that episode has been a night mare for me. I have tried alomost daily since February to contact air bnb, and I filed  a claim via the resolution center within the 72-hour time line. I can't believe what is happening and I actually am shocked by the lack of customer service, disrespect, and covert operations of the company. They have become a corporate giant and I'm afraid they need to be regulated....

@Deborah384 I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with Airbnb customer service!

What sort of rule did the guests break?

I am asking because I was wondering if you were having trouble with customer service because it is generally Airbnb policy to not enforce purely monetary files for violations of house rules.

(For example, if your house rules clearly state that using the pool after 10 pm will result in a $100 fine, and the guests use the pool after 10 pm and even admit they used the pool after 10 pm, Airbnb will not take the $100 from the security deposit.)

Airbnb may also be acting alowly because of a concern about the appropriateness of the fine.

(For example, If you are attempting to collect a $1000 fine for leaving dishes unwashed, that would be disproportionate.)

Which is why it is somewhat important to know exactly what house rules the guest broke...

Deborah384
Level 1
Rhode Island, United States

Thank you for your for reply. I understand your point, however, it was not about leaving the dishes unwashed. It was about violating my rules which are clearly stated, marked and posted.

I'm just extremely frustated with the companies inability to providne me with the level of customer service I expect when doing business at this level.

Best