Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Is there a need for a checkout guide?

Check out image.jpg

Hello everyone,

Over the years I have stayed in quite a few Airbnb as guest and along the way I have noticed that different hosts have varying styles of how they would like their guests to checkout. There are some important pieces of information which are needed, such as where they should  leave the key once they leave.

I wonder do you have a specific process that helps you make it as simple and friendly as possible for you and your guests?

Do you like to personally say goodbye to your guests to ensure that everything has been the way that they like it? Do you provide useful information on what to do with the key or what to do with the linen perhaps?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer
T28
Level 2
Savage, MD

Hands down, a checklist is worth having.  It sets expectations and helps me lean toward giving the guest a favorable review.  I've tweaked mine over the years and I have come up with a pretty simple process.  Of course I still get the occasional guest that feels like they paid a cleaning fee and just won't do anything.

I have 2 units and my lists are posted on the fridges.  The last line on the checklist asks the guest to leave a review of their stay on the Airbnb site.

Check-out ChecklistCheck-out Checklist

View Best Answer in original post

83 Replies 83
Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Lizzie  My Airbnb Cottage is next to my home, so when I first started listing it one of my guests waited 1 hour (After they checked out) for me to arrive back home,  I very appologetic, told them that they did not have to wait to check out with me at the main house.

Thereafter I included it on my listing and also whith my introduction when I greet the guests, that there is no need to check out with me. However I do like to personally say goodbye just to make sure all was ok with their stay, and also to remind them of a review.

Rubén
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw that's a good learning @Rubén16. This just shows that all guests are different. It's nice to hear you want to say goodbye in person. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin436
Level 3
County Limerick, Ireland

Hi Lizzie,

I think it's a great idea to say goodbye in person where that is possible. I do this everytime with every guest with a "please come back to Ireland again and tell your friends that we are one of the best destinations in the World for Friendliness and Scenery". I also give departees a sprig of Irish Heather to help them on their journey. That's not always in bloom of course but in Summer that could be some organic and freshly picked fruit.My first Summer Guests have yet to arrive since I am  only  a Host since October 2018 but tyhis will be a useful experiment I think.Thank you for all your great tips.

Robin, I love the sprig of heather idea. I'll look out for your place in Ireland when we visit later this year. Now I just need to think up something Kiwi for our guests as they leave. 

Ummmm, give them a kiwi??? (;

Hi Glen & Roger,

Thank you for your comment.Of course the Heather is now a distant memory and am trying to decide what to do next. When I have some new produce that would bring a smile I think? In the meantime I discovered my lonely jar of honey in the fridge just two weeks ago and now put it on the Breakfast table  with a note " Honey By Robin" Later this Season when the honey is harvested I'll have enough hopefully for the full year. Bring your Friends ,Neighbours and other interseted Parties on your trip and I'll put up a Tent (or two)!

We had a similar problem when we first started with Airbnb. We message the guests the day before of the checkout procedures (which are simple). They are instructed that they do not have to find the host to leave, but we do appreciate them messaging the host that they have actually departed, as the host may not actually see the departure.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I have a guest instruction binder and I have a check out guide included in there. Since I know that most guests do not read much of anything, even when asked to (this includes our Airbnb listings) I make sure to tell guests to read the check out guide prior to check out time and let me know if they have any question. I also made the list of 'to do's' very short, using very simple sentences with the primary tasks organized via bullet points (things like 'lock the doors and windows when you leave' and 'turn off all the heaters'). 

Of course, since the security deposit noted on our listings are basically 'phantom' security deposits that do little to protect us hosts, guests have little to lose (as in nothing) if they leave the place a mess. Fortunately, nearly all of our guests have been very considerate and left our cottage in great shape upon checkout - This is likely because I have built many screening features into my listing and so the guests that do book my place are usually courteous and conscientious. Also, since I am an on-site host, I have an advantage in that on those rare occasions when a guest leaves the doors, windows, or the garage door wide open,  I am there to intervene and prevent intrusion and theft. But not every host is a able to act so quickly to protect their property, of course.

Hi Rebecca,

You mention that you have built in many screening features into your listing.  Would you mind sharing what they are.  I thought I did as well but inconsiderate renters still seem to get through my screens.   Luckily they are in the minority.

Thanks,

Laura

@Laura_R, not able to tag you, but yes, I did share all this in detail with the community some time back, if I can find it I will re-share!

I am definitely interested in this information!  Thank you.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Rebecca181.

Personally, I'm a bit of a fan of a binder of information when I stay somewhere. I then know what I need to do when I leave. 

Do you usually direct people to look at your binder via an email message too or when they arrive?

--------------------

@Lizzie I send out a detailed check-in email one week before each guest's stay. I have driving directions in there along with many other important pre-check-in things (the driving directions are because following google maps with lead them into the ocean for some reason).

In this email I let them know there is a Welcome Binder available and I tell them where it is and I also note there is a Cheat Sheet that covers the basics if they are not wanting to sift through the binder AND that reading this Cheat Sheet is MANDATORY as it covers the safe use of the hot tub, the septic system, etc (I also include a section on local restaurant reviews written by our guests and this has been a big hit with everyone!)

And then, when they check-in, and if it is during the window of time when we are there to personally greet them and give them the Grand Tour, I point out the binder and the Cheat Sheet and remind them to review the Check Out instructions. I also point out the section on the Cheat Sheet that discusses Airbnb's review system (how it is like Uber and how any listing given an overall rating of less than 5 stars is viewed as an epic fail by Airbnb and can lead to our eventually losing our businesses - All guests so far are so surprised and dsturbed to hear this, by the way) and encourage them to read that particular section in detail as well. Must be working because I have received only 5 star reviews since then - Reviews that actually match how the guests really felt about their stay (happy).

This system has worked out very well for us, and I really do feel great gratitude for the wonderful guests that have come our way - really, only 8 or so out of over 130 that I wouldn't want back again. Pretty amazing!

Thanks for these posting these topics that lead to great discussions!

@Rebecca0 I bet you wish you had told those 8 guests to follow google maps so they would've ended up in the ocean, a good way to erase such people is to pretend they are in the toilet when you flush it so they flush away..

Great to see you are still here in CC.

All the best

Hm, I'm going to incorporate some of thatinto my guest binder!