Is there a way for host to issue a voucher

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

Is there a way for host to issue a voucher

I was under the impression that all of the 50+ cancellations I have received in the past 3 weeks have received a full refund, but I found out a little while ago that a lady who cancelled a two day stay on March 15-17 didn't receive any refund. I have a strict policy and she cancelled the day before the stay was to start so according to the policy she wouldn't receive a refund,  but I thought it fell into the original window BnB set for extenuating circumstances. I told her if she contacted CS they would give her a full refund  and she said that she has tried but nobody had gotten back with her. As I have stated several times on this forum that I didn't think the guest should have to pay the full amount but I do feel that they should have to share the burden with the host. So I told her that I would refund half and that when she did get in contact with CS they would probably refund her the rest, and if they didn't, she could get back with me and I would consider refunding the rest. I will most likely give her the full refund but since she cancelled the day before makes me want to think about it.  Anyway I had mentioned my opinion that if they would have issued a 50% cash refund and a 50% voucher that most host and guest would have been fine with that and this whole mess would never had happened. Well she replied back saying that she agreed that was absolutely fair and would be willing to do that. But the problem is I dont know how to issue a credit voucher or even if  I can. So I am going to ask if any host know if there is a way for a host to give a voucher?  I could contact CS but in all honesty I have 0 trust in what they say is true plus I will be even more disgusted in them when they tell me what I think they will say. I doubt they would allow it because if the host issues the credit they would have to pay the guest 50% and the host 50% making them responsible to pay the full amount.  But by not allowing the host to do it they wouldn't have to come up with any of it right then (if what I hear that they are issuing vouchers for the full amount is true) which allows them to keep the money until guest re-book  which could be months if not years down the line. True if this was the case then  that would mean they would have to throw the host under the bus, screw them over whatever you want to  call it but I haven't seen anything from BnB that would suggest they wouldn't do that. So does anyone know of a way to issue vouchers?

1 Reply 1
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Sam397 , I have tons of experience giving virtual vouchers to guests who have had to cancel. In my case, over the years, it has mostly been because of floods. My treehouse is on a floodplain, and if a guest isn't a canoeist who wants to come anyway, I don't make them pay, even if they cancel same-day. The river rises and falls quickly. It's part of my deal here. No one's fault.  I don't expect to make money on it. 

I have to do it with trust. I tell them the next time they book to send an inquiry and I will send a special offer. They have my word on that in the messaging. I tell them to point to that as proof. 

Because, yes, there is no way to issue an actual voucher that I have found. I wish there were!