Is there a way to appeal case manager's decision?

Gia4
Level 1
New York, NY

Is there a way to appeal case manager's decision?

2 guests checked in the private room. When they saw the room they said they expected to see 2 beds. My photos clearly show 1 queen sized bed and my description clearly states that there is 1 bed. They assumed there were 2 beds because the room accommodates 2 guests. I asked them if that's ok with them and if not I'll give them 100% refund and they can stay elsewhere. They said that no it's fine they'll stay with me.

They stayed 4 days and each day they kept telling me everything was great. 3 days after checking out they filed a claim for a refund based on "inaccuracy of the listing". I've been hosting for 1.5 years at that point and had over 100 guests, many times there were 2 guests and no one ever got confused or expected to see 2 beds. Of course I rejected it. So they called Airbnb and cried how unhappy they were and the case manager went ahead and approved their refund. When I tried to appeal I was told that the decision is final and the case manager, Benjamin, will disengage from a further conversation.
This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm trying to find a way to appeal this, if anyone knows how - please advise.

8 Replies 8
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Good God, whatever next:

BOOK ON AIRBNB WHERE YOU STAY AND DON'T PAY, that's right folks book with us and cancel anytime with a full refund or enjoy your holiday and get a refund after checkout.

The worlds gone mad

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Gia4 that sounds awful! Have you tried to contact airbnb and escalate the case to talk to a different case manager or have a case manager assigned to you and not the one that they spoke to? This is one of the reasons that I usually send summary/set record in the messaging system. Did they refund it out of their pocket or did they take it from your payout? Sorry to hear what happened.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Gia4,

Nice to meet you. I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. 

I wonder did you have anything in writing via the Airbnb messaging system that could help with this, perhaps if they have replied to you saying they are having a good stay?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Don't you love the messages you get from a case manager saying the converstaion will be disengaged?  It's like talking to a brick wall.  The decision is final.  I was a few days late in submitting a recipt to claim damage report.  Airbnb won't accept it. I had photos of the damage and a receipt for the dry cleaning.  However, Airbnb can take as long as it wants to respond and give you whatever refund it deems resonable.   Another case in point on my listening it clearly says 1000NT ($32US) for a key replacement.  I need to factor in my time to and from the key place.  Airbnb refused to give me that amount because that wasn't the actual cost replcement.  There was no way for me to repeal.  And I was tired of calling Airbnb.

Amy-And-Gin0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I feel your pain.  I had some terrible experiences with Case Managers and once they make a decision, they say it is final and then disengage.  I tried requesting a supervisor many times and was ignored.  Who reviews the Case Manager's work?  The system seems very one sided and unfair.  Sometimes you get a good Case Manager and sometimes a bully..

Reheila0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

So there is no real answer to this discusison? I was after some help to figure out having my case reviewed by a sensible person. 

Jeff512
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Yeah I got the same treatment from one the case manager, he just said the decision is final, goodbye. Apparently when you ask for the different case manager, Airbnb just allocate the same person back again to the case. It's very stressfull to call them time and time again and get a blatant rude reply, basically calling me to f*** off. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jeff512

Unfortunately what we tend to see here is one side of the story. 

Customer support are not hell bent on dudding the hapless host! Because a guest wants a refund does not mean they are automatically going to get it. Each decision is weighed up according to its merits and conforming to Airbnb policy. Individual CX do not make up company policy on the run, they adhere to guidelines! But they will interpret a situation based on the communication they have.

None of us know what has brought hosts to this situation but I will lay a bet it was not just a case of a blatant misunderstanding of an accurate listing description so the guest got their money back! It is not as simple as that, and we never hear the other side of the story!

I have worked in Airbnb support and I can tell you it is the most thankless job on the face of this planet! Everyone who comes to you has a problem, and most of them are angry. They expect and demand validation of something that cannot be automatically validated and they want to take it out on someone!

I can tell you now, the fastest way to get a case closed against you is to demand action, rather than ask for help! I understand,  a guest has done the wrong thing, turned what should have been a profitable exercise into a financial disaster and in the heat of the moment, you want action and frustration can get the better of you.

But I have always found in life, a smooth measured calm request always gets you further than brandishing a big verbal stick!

Cheers.....Rob