Is there someone that can tell me how to pay local taxes in Boston Metro?

Mark283
Level 1
Dedham, MA

Is there someone that can tell me how to pay local taxes in Boston Metro?

Taxes are a big concern and I feel like I am going deeper in debt as the months pass by.  I don't know what steps to take to see how to pay local taxes in Boston Metro, Massachusetts.

17 Replies 17

You need to talk to a tax professional.  I'd contact H&R Block.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1036/how-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-...

Hi I have an airbnb in Marblehead, I share your concern about taxes.  I don't know how it's done.  I have looked at Marblehead tax or no tax on airbnb and I cannot find anything that says they collect.  Did you ever figure out anything regarding taxing?  Does airbnb take their taxes out as each guests books?  Help!  Anyone with any info I would appreciate 

It seems like they don't take it out in Mass.

So we need to claim it on our taxes.

Kathy101
Level 3
Houston, TX

My accountant says it isn't yet required, although the requirement has been actively discussed ...   Have any of you heard definitively otherwise?  I'm in the Back Bay / South End area.

Hey Kathy, I'm new to hosting and am in the Back Bay/South End area as well. I was hoping you could provide some guidance on what kinds of permits and registrations you've had to get (if any)? Thanks! 

Hi Daria - There is nothing right now beyond regular income tax (AirBnB reports it to the government).  However, change is coming.  Per feedback from one of the city councilors from earlier this week:

-----

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your thoughts on short-term rentals in Boston. I, like you, am an AirBnB user. My family has gone on some wonderful vacations that were more affordable and more enjoyable because we rented a home-share through the platform. I also hear from many constituents who use AirBnB or other short-term rental platforms to rent out an extra room in their home to be able to pay the mortgage, or their entire home while they’re on vacation to help pay for the vacation. Tourism is important to Boston’s economy, and many hosts take pride in connecting visitors to local neighborhood restaurants and shops to support these local businesses. 

As policymakers, our goal on this issue is to balance the benefits of home-sharing with the very real housing crisis that Boston is dealing with. Too many across the city are struggling to afford a place to live. There are many forces driving this, but an unregulated short-term rentals market is one unmistakable piece of accelerating displacement. In addition to the residents using AirBnB, there are investors and companies that have taken entire buildings or multiple floors of buildings to operate de facto hotels where it would be illegal to have an actual hotel because of residential zoning laws. Taking this housing stock off the market means fewer long-term residents to build community, and it tightens our vacancy rate and puts more pressure on rising housing costs. The current unregulated status quo means that some corporations and individuals are exploiting a loophole to illegally operate de facto hotels out of our housing stock, displacing long-term renters for private profit. 

I’m glad that AirBnB is encouraging stakeholders to get involved in the legislative process, but I’d like to clarify some misinformation in the email that the company sent out yesterday. There has been no new proposal since Mayor Walsh’s proposed Short-Term Rentals ordinance was withdrawn in March, and no current or previous proposal has ever discussed a 30-day cap. Councilor Lydia Edwards and I had proposed an amendment to the Mayor’s ordinance with reasonable regulations to close corporate loopholes for de facto hotel use while allowing residents to continue home-sharing.  

No matter what is proposed next, the City Council will have a full public process with opportunities for public testimony. The best way to stay updated on this process and other issues under discussion is to follow my weekly Council meeting notes newsletter — I’ll add you to the email list and you can also read when I tweet it out each week (I’m @wutrain on Twitter). Thanks again for contacting me!

Katherine91
Level 2
New Hampshire, United States

Like some others, I'm stressing about doing my taxes for last year, which was my first year hosting. Will I be penalized for not paying any taxes throughout the year? Does anyone have any suggestions for organizing / documenting all of the deductions? I feel like it's going to take me months just to properly calculate all of my applicable deductions for 2016. Does anyone have a good tax professional in the Saugus MA area that is familiar with handling these sort of taxes? Any help, suggestions or guidance on how to handle my 2016 airbnb taxes would be much appreciated. Also, Airbnb hasn't sent me my 1099...will they be reporting my earnings to the IRS? 

Thanks in advance!

Katherine there is a breakdown on Airbnb and then a second form that tells you if you did t make over 20,000.00 and did have over 200 bookings you owe no taxes.  Your account still has to report it but if you fall in this bracket you should be ok.  I'm not at home but soon as I go through Airbnb I ll look for the breakdown and get back to you where to find it.

Hi Catherine, 

Can you forward me that breakdown as well please! 

Best, 

Adam 

Kama2
Level 2
Boston, MA

I attended the Boston City Council meeting that took place on Feb 13th, the event began at 9am and was still going strong at 3pm. The discussion was regarding Mayor Walsh’s proposal of only allowing hosts to rent for 90 days out of the year, the exception to the rule applies if you are renting a room in your home or rent 1 unit in a owner occupied home. Myself and a handful of other hosts have formed a group to discuss new proposed regulations , strategies on what can be done so our voices can be heard , and are there to support each other. If anyone would like to join or more information, please feel free to reach out to me. 

Hi - please include me.  I'm a Boston host.  What do you think are next steps for City Council?

Please add me to the list.  So they are opposing individual separate properties that are outside of our homes?  Can you describe the core of what they seem to be against or trying to address?  I.e a hotel lobby group, complaints from neighbors, housing prices, noise and traffic issues.....?

Is this just for the city of Boston, or does it also apply to the metro area as well?

Hi Kama, I just joined the Airbnb community in Boston. Could you include me in the next meeting?

Thanks a lot,

Eddy

Hey, I'm new to hosting and am in the Back Bay/South End area and would love to join your group and get more information about local regulations. Thanks!