Is this a new guest scam?

Is this a new guest scam?

A couple of days ago I received an enquiry from a potential guest - good English, reasonably written, etc but asking to pay on arrival. I felt I had to pre-approve to ensure a quick response (for Airbnb purposes) but at the same time was immediately wary and said that payments had to be completed via Airbnb payments.

Also she was a new user with no reviews. The profile pic had been stolen off a wedding site (easy to check on Google). I have reported the user to Airbnb.

A company I work for who advertises a lot of properties on Airbnb also received something similar yesterday. Very plausible enquiry with lots of detail. Again asking to pay on arrival and with another 'stolen' pic.

My question is have other hosts been receiving these? What do they hope to gain by paying on arrival even if it was allowed? It certainly looks like an organised scam but it's a new one on me and I feel there needs to be some warnings.

28 Replies 28

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I would never book a guest outside of Airbnb. And if they're not verified and don't have a selfie pic or their selfie pic comes up as a stock photo or something when I do a reverse image search then I'm not booking them.

The higher your price, I think the less likely you'll encouter these shady types.

Elizabeth24
Level 10
Dana Point, CA

Hopefully you’ve changed the locks, you don’t know if he went and made a copy of the key. Second, you can have instant book prescreen the type of person that would be able to instant book. As in - has to have X number of 5 star reviews. I don’t let anyone book who doesn’t have a review, I know they have to start somewhere but it’s not going to be with me. And lastly!, don’t ever take on a stranger in the dark that you believe is dangerous! You have a lot of courage, but safety first. Things are just that, it’s not worth risking your life. I’d probably also install some cameras on the perimeter. Thanks for sharing this, and glad you are safe.

Fiona265
Level 1
Gibraltar

We discovered guest scammers this month, until now most guests have been relatively ok.  Our 4 bedroom house is only available for a minimum of 4 nights. No problem for the guest scammer who only wants one night. They book for 4 nights for there group of 8 stay the 1 night they wanted and then take photos of STUFF claiming the house was filthy and they could not possibly stay another moment, and get their money refunded by airbnb.

As the landlord we do not get paid, however the house is trashed all the beds slept in towels used, we get a poor review and slating for having a dirty rats nest of a house. 

This happened to us twice in a row and I am sorry to fall from Super host to zero in a couple of weeks.

Airbnb seem to always side in favour of the guest, and as such because my wife is so upset about it we decided to cancel all our bookings and terminate our relationship with airbnb. 

Shame really but as a host you are clearly there to be abused. 

The scammers claim to have had to pay to stay elsewhere but we know NOTHING is available locally in August at that price for 8 people.

This is something airbnb need to address.

Graham.

We have a similar situation with a guest, he trashed the room, and asked for a refund due to the poor condition. Plus the guest was an alcoholic. Airbnb doesn't play ball with the host, I got a bad review and we can't argue about it. Airbnb needs to understand that we are lending our personal space and we need the support to protect the host from scammers and thieves. I wonder if Airbnb would change their policies if the CEO starts renting his own basement.

I was sick to the core. I have had three separate  parties that have trashed my house to deal with and now this new scam to try and get out of strict cancellation policies by turning up  and inventing a problem is now the new worry on top of the party worry.  Airbnb just refund huge sums of money even when the guests are clearly staying at your place for free. I was so angry December and Jan when this happened to me. My neighbour next door had the same thing happen twice now this year, also an entire house,  guests checked in, refused to stay for a load of  nonsense reasons and we as hosts have to pick up the tab for people that have used our house, towels and slept in our beds, swam in our  pools, used all our amenities and had a great time at our expense.  I felt so utterly violated, it is my house. So now it is becoming common knowledge, check in and stay in someone’s house for free, if guests know how to work the system. 

Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

Profile picture upon enquiry now visible? 

Ana21064
Level 1
Braga, Portugal

Hi, I'm new here and have a situation on which I would like some advice. 

I got a request for booking on Friday. The guest is a new airbnb user and does not have any reviews yet so I am a bit concerned... It seems he's from Taiwan, his profile is written in mandarin, it says something like "I am a freelancer and I like to travel". He gave me two mobile numbers, one from Portugal, where we're at, and another from Taiwan. 

He is asking for a 20 day period stay and tried to explained his story in a very poor English. He says he's been living in a very small apartment and that he will have friends over so they want to rent our house as it is big and they will all fit in here.

The problem is, I don't know how to verify his identity and he is asking to visit the property beforehand, he's supposed to come over this Sunday around 3pm, but I haven't yet given him the location.

I am concerned this is a scam but am not sure on how to handle it. Is it even legal to receive the guest just to check out the place before the booking occurs? I haven't even pre-approved yet. I am new to this as well, so am a bit lost.

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

I would have alarm bells ringing....

You don't say when he wants to stay from but presume it is soon.

How did he give you two mobile numbers without making a booking? Airbnb hide contact details in messages until payment is made?

Verification happens on the Airbnb platform. You could always ask him to go through their process?

I personally would not be comfortable with him visiting without a booking. If he asks to do a deal outside Airbnb you won't have any comeback if it goes wrong. You're on your own!

Lastly is Portugal  still not in a state of emergency with restrictions to hosting? I'm in Spain and currently can only host people within our own province and anyone coming into the country is subject to 14 days quarantine. Hygiene requirements are very strict with numerous special measures. You need to make sure you are up to date with Portugal and your own region's requirements or could be in trouble.

Is it really worth it plus what seems a very risky guest? Of course up to you... but there is a saying 'If it doesn't feel right - it probably isn't'

Hi Sue, thanks for your reply! 

Yes, he would like to book from next week on. We would never allow him to book outside from airbnb, as you say, as we wouldn't have any comeback.

He gave me his phone number by writing the digits in 3 different messages, that's how he managed to do it. I did not even ask myself why was he doing like that. 

From what he said, his friends are in Lisbon already for business. So I suppose they've been around for a while now... Here in Portugal we are no longer in state of emergency and there is no rule saying we can't host people from outside the province. In general we had lighter confinement measures than in Spain.

I exposed the case to airbnb support, but they've only replied that I should not contact the guest outside the platform and that I should not give him any details before he books... About identity verification they have not helped me, not sure how to proceed now. You say the airbnb platform performs the verification? Is this done once he books? 

On this occasion I would agree with Airbnb... " I should not contact the guest outside the platform and that I should not give him any details before he books"

If he then books and pays, you have a better chance of knowing whether he is legit or not... although you can never be absolutely sure. of what any 'game' might be.

Re verification anyone can do that - guest or host through their profile. I am a 'verified host'.

It is not done on booking. Here is some info to pint you in the right direction.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-verifies-your-identity

I all the years I've hosted on Airbnb, other platforms and direct there has always been scammers. You get wise. Sometimes, if I'm not sure either way, I provide the absolute minimum of details to them and try to get to the bottom of what they want. 

He seems to be wise already that to get around the 'no contact details before booking' issue, by sending his mobile in three different messages. If he's new how does he know that? He probably knows you are new 'ish' if you don't have any/many reviews?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying. in accordance with Airbnb rules you cannot pass any details on until a booking is made and communications are all through their platform. If he backs out - I think you have your answer!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ana21064  This is not necessarily some scam request, but could simply be a case of a guest new to Airbnb not knowing how it works. Certainly important to be aware of the red flags, but not necessarily nefarious.

A simple message back "Hi XX, I see you are new to Airbnb, so you may not be aware of some of the policies. Hosts are not in the habit of allowing pre-viewing of a property, it poses a security risk. Guests make a decision on whether to book a listing based on the listing information, the photo gallery, and asking questions if they require clarification. Also, it is not acceptable, in an Airbnb, to have friends or anyone else over, who has not been listed on the original reservation, without the express permission of the host, and is usually not allowed at all. Doing this can lead to eviction from the property. And communication between hosts and guests needs to be kept to the Airbnb messaging feature. Writing out your phone number to try to get around the rules can lead to your account being closed. If you are willing to abide by these Airbnb protocols, we can discuss a booking."

You may be unaware, as a new host, that an Inquiry and a Booking Request are handled differently, so pay attention to which it is. For an Inquiry, all you need to do is reply within 24 hours, you don't have to pre-approve or decline. For a Request, you do need to decide whether to accept or decline within 24 hours.

As a new host, I wouldn't accept a 20 day booking from anyone. I'd suggest that you adjust your settings to something like a week-10 days maximum stay until you get more experienced with hosting- it could save you a lot of headaches.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I haven’t read through all of these responses, but about what you said here:

“I felt I had to pre-approve to ensure a quick response (for Airbnb purposes)...”

On an inquiry, you don’t have to “pre-approve to ensure a quick response”.  Just put a response in the message.  Then you can just leave it there without pre-approving or denying - it won’t ding your stats in any way.  On a request to book, it is more critical what you do...but not on an inquiry.

Susan3989
Level 2
Cannich, United Kingdom

Thank you everyone to posting advice. I've just had an inquiry  that felt wrong (long period of time, asking for details through a mobile number, new user profile , no picture). I wasn't sure whether I had to preapprove until I read you didn't have to for an inquiry (Cheers @Pat271 ) and the suggested reply by @Sue49 "in accordance to AirBnB rules .....communications must be through their platform" gave me a way to deal with it. It's great to get some help!