Is this a reasonable request? Guest Seeking Change/Cancellation on night of arrival.

Ezra0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Is this a reasonable request? Guest Seeking Change/Cancellation on night of arrival.

Hi guys, first of all, thanks for reading my post.

Issue: Guest wants to cancel/shorten a 14 day reservation.

Time issue raised was probably around 10pm australian time on day of arrival.

As per conversation via airbnb, i've made it clear that:

1) The unit is 25 sqm

2) There is only one double bed.

3) There is an escalator.

**Prior to the booking being made**

The guests (male, female and 1.5yo toddler) were amicable to the above.

A special rate of only 64AUD/night for 14 nights was given as I valued a longer term lease.

A studio in Melbourne CBD is usually ~110/night.

I use personalized door codes for each guest with a digital lock.

Building access is via a RFID fob in a lockbox located in the mailbox outside .

Guest was let in by another occupant of the building and went into the unit.

States there was some issue accessing a lockbox in the mailbox.

Guest alleges mailbox was locked.

(I dont have a key for the mailbox and it has never been locked since i've owned the unit)

I offer to come to the unit within 1 hour with a spare RFID fob.

Guest replies it has been opened by a building caretaker who opened the mailbox with a key.

***Guest now has the RFID keyfob and no issues entering the building or unit.***

Note my previous guests never had similar issues. Young and old, male and female. I've actually had multiple positive reviews on how easy the unit is to access, especially after hours (late night / early morning). I will be contacting my body corporate to find out who else has mailbox keys, as I believe someone may have locked my box without my knowledge.

After accessing the unit, guest seeks to cancel or change the reservation for the following reasons:

1) There isnt enough space for a 1.5yo toddler to 'run around'

2) Guest is having difficulty lugging '100kg of musical equipment' to the unit, despite the elevator from G to L2.

I am wondering how to proceed.

I have a 'strict' cancellation policy.

Is the guest's request reasonable?

Is there anything else I should do?

In the interim, I have advised the guest to seek resolution via airbnb as per the help pages.

Regards,

Ezra

5 Replies 5
Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

Well I think they will have to abide by your strict cancellation policy!  

AND you were very clear with them before booking!  

1) The unit is 25 sqm

2) There is only one double bed.

3) There is an escalator.

**Prior to the booking being made** **

Their reasons:

<<1) There isnt enough space for a 1.5yo toddler to 'run around'>>

Not a cancellable offence, you shouldn't have to pay for them feeling like a space is too small, particularly when you made it clear what space the size is! (1 and 2)

2) Guest is having difficulty lugging '100kg of musical equipment' to the unit, despite the elevator from G to L2. 

Again, you shouldn't lose out because they knew well in advance there was an elevator.  100kg of stuff is a lot of stuff and is hard to lug even if one is staying on a ground floor - 'difficulty' is all relative and you shouldn't be held responsible for the subjective assessment of 'difficulty' ESPECIALLY that you told them clearly there was a lift.  What else are you supposed to do? Provide helium balloons to make it easier to get the stuff out of their car?

If they have to lug lots of luggage (no matter what it is), that's just too bad and is a normal part of travelling.

Seriously unreasonable request and I think you should stick firmly to your justification.  It honestly sounds to me like maybe they just found something cheaper or different in some way and are kind of trying to take advantage.

If they go, make sure THEY cancel via AirBNB so your diary isn't blocked - and don't offer them a refund (unless maybe you get a replacement booking - I often do this if people cancel for good reasons (but I wouldn't consider these good reasons myself!))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Ezra0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the reassurance. 🙂

Much appreciated.

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ezra0 If they'd like to cancel or amend their booking, tell them it all needs to go through Airbnb.

(You did nothing wrong, it seems.)

Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Point one and two are invalid.  It is quite clear from the photos the apartment is very small.

The reason the child probably cannot run around is the 100kg worth of musical equipment they pulled in.

You have given them a low rate to start with.

I would say that as it is all in order, apart from the intial check-in quibbles the guest is not owed any form of credit.

That´s just the experiences you can have using Airbnb rather than paying double or more at a hotel.

Would ignore requests.  Suggest you include a floorplan in your photos for future guests.

Wow! What total A-holes! They KNEW they were a handful before they arrived. This is the price we pay for being Airbnb hosts, which means we are mini hotels/motels but without the staff AND the remuneration.