Is this normal in Airbnb?

岱勳0
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Is this normal in Airbnb?

This happened in OH, I planned to meet my friend in Cincinnati, so I stayed in Columbus for 1 night.

After I booked the room. Host keep asking me to read the rule, which is very long. He asked me several questions, such as ETA and the reason to come.

However, I did not reply very soon. She blamed me for that.

After arriving at the house, I cannot find the key. 

However, I saw her brother in the backyard so I asked him. She blamed me for not asking her through apps while she is not home till 11:00 pm.

After she arrived at the house, She told me that I should not park in the driveway and told me to move the car. She blamed me it's all in the rule.

While I preparing to move the car to the road, she started to have a short conversation "blame me"

Said: She was frustrated and disappointed at me.............. I should live in a hotel than Airbnb. ((((((at 11:30 pm)))))

Is this normal, that some host humiliated you at midnight? I tried to be a kind person. But in the end, no this is unacceptable. And text harassment is another annoying thing, she texted me after 11:30 to blame more, then said goodnight.

Is this normal, or I just met a  weird host?

--------------Below is the review to the host and support center------------------

To be honest and telling a true story from my heart, I get:

1. Text harassment from the moment I book to the moment like 11:30 p.m.
  2. A lot of rudeness and offensive emotions with anxious symptom
  3. A dog that will bark me up at 5 a.m.
  4. Humiliation at midnight or all the time
  5. 13 pages screenshot long rules with emotional words and redundancy

I tried my best to be kind and respectful, and this woman keeps dumping sXXt on me last night. Even in the last minutes after I check-out, she put suspicion on me due to a red onion disappearing.

[ The rule she made was beyond the human limited and my tolerance. The rule has too many emotional words and redundancy, which is hard to read. ]

In my country, if someone like her, treat people like that, the business will disappear just in a second.

This woman has over 100 reviews, but it only shows 11 reviews. 90% of her comments disappeared. It means 90% of customers disappointed the experience. She lied to me no one has the issue like me and yelled to me at 11:30 pm.

I can't sleep well because I was pissed off till 4 am, and the dog barked me at 5 am.

She said in midnight 11:30:" I should not use Airbnb and suggest me to go to a hotel".

Well, I swear to god if I have a right or access to kick her off of this market, I will.

I will use all my resource to report this host.

I deserve an apology, but I got humiliated till the last minutes. She should fix her writing skill before running a business.

I always have a good time in Airbnb until this woman came out.

Best regard,

I hope one day she gets deactivated.

I have confidence that I am not the first one and the last one to report her.

62 Replies 62
岱勳0
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Oh wow, it is almost a year. I have been through a lot in this period. 

I want to say "Thank you" for all the support and the comments, especially of @Sarah977 @Justin271 @Joy298 @Robin4 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0.

Hope you doing well in this pandemic. I mean it.

It is interesting to look back on what I did and what I said LOL.  

Also, I have noticed the host rules are longer!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@岱勳0 

Hello Stephen, thank you for taking the time to come here and tell us about your last year. It makes us all feel better in these uncertain times when someone lets us know we might have been of help.

I hope you are managing to stay safe over there in Cincinnati. 

Personally, Ade and I are doing really well here in South Australia, we have been lucky enough to miss the worst of the pandemic. Unfortunately not all of Australia has been as lucky as we have, and one of our states has suffered a second wave and has had to be physically isolated from the rest of Australia again.

The first wave of the pandemic was easy for us to control because all the infected people came into Australia from overseas, and where they have been since arriving could be traced. The current second wave has come from some very poor quarantine security in one city. Some infected people got out into the community and many new cases now cannot be traced back to a particular source! They are what is referred to as 'community transmission'. 

Like @Sarah977  my list of house rules is very short Stephen, and I don't get many guests that break them. What I am finding is, almost all my guests now are new to Airbnb, they are no longer locked up at home and want to spend a night or two somewhere different, but they don't trust hotels or busy areas  where there are lots of people. This pandemic has made us feel less trusting of strangers in our personal space.

My only minor frustration at the moment, I am receiving airbnb card emails from previous guests, but when I try to open them or view them.....the links don't work! This is all I see.

Airbnb cards 1.png

Even replying to Jennifer doesn't work, that just takes me to my inbox, and I have had a least 8 Jennifers staying here over the last 5 years..... a profile photo would help instead of a black square with a white cross in it that ' show images' won't open!

It seems like just bit more unimportant poorly sourced effort on the part of Airbnb that makes us scratch our heads.

All the best Stephen, I hope your next year is a successful one!

Cheers.........Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@岱勳0  Nice of you to come back here with a follow up post. Hope you are staying safe in these times, as well.

BTW, I have no rules. I know that sounds strange, but although I do say no parties and no children and no pets in my listing, I host one private bedroom for one guest, so it's not like they can sneak in a child or a dog or throw a party. 

And I don't have written rules like cleaning up after yourself in the kitchen, because all my guests have been respectful and done that without having to be asked. I guess I've been lucky- I just expect guests to behave like respectful adults in my home, and so far they almost all have.

And if I get a young, somewhat clueless guest, I don't have a problem just talking to them like I'd talk to my 18 year old grandson- "Hey dude, do you really think the dining room chair is an appropriate place to drape your dirty socks? Like other people want to look at that while they eat, really?"