Issue with a current guest (in Canada)

Susan4009
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Issue with a current guest (in Canada)

Hi everyone,

I need advice.  Airbnb takes about 12-20 hrs to reply via chat and they have disabled all their call support numbers (I'm in Canada) and would not provide a number for me to call. If anyone has a working number, please share.

As a background, I'm a superhost.  My cleaning company does a great job and I have never received complaints.

I had a guest check in over the weekend after negotiating $200 off their 2.5 month stay as it was above their budget.  They sent me a bunch of photos late at night showing burn marks on a knife (claiming that crack had been smoked on it)  a condom and wrapper in the basement, dust bunnies on stairwell and some blood on the main entrance door and told me "thought I was a super host".

My immediate reply was basically telling them that I had checked the unit before they arrived and it looked great and I have photos from the cleaner after each clean and warned them that I would call the police and they are not to smoke crack in my  house.  I got ahold of airbnb but after telling them that I was being set up, they stopped replying to me completely for almost two days.  Meanwhile, the guest replied and said they were a man of god and are not setting me up and are here to visit family and they are immune compromised so they were really concerned about the cleanliness of the home.  After talking to the guy on the phone, he sounded sincere, he told me that he didn't notice these things earlier as he checked in late at night the day before.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was just extra particular as he mentioned he was immune compromised.  After checking the logs on the entrance lock, he had lied about checking in late at night.  When asked about it, he said his brother must've dropped off bags.  It's very suspicious as there was quite a bit of activity.  I gave him benefit of the doubt anyways.

I had my cleaner go in there to take care of the items he mentioned.  My cleaner's reply was that blood on the door looked like spit and was definitely not there when she cleaned.  The guest had moved around a couch in the basement (it's basically barebones unfinished and only used for laundry) which prob resulted in the condom; they had moved a desk from the bedroom upstairs to the mainfloor which probably resulted in the dust bunnies, the cups that they mentioned had white specs that they spent 6hrs cleaning (which I thought could've been calcium deposit from hard water) were actually plastic disposable solo cups at the top of the cupboard.

In summary this guest is extremely sketchy.  I will send all this to airbnb as documentation but for the time being, what should I do?  Should I move towards canceling his stay or let them stay until they break a house rule?  I had to also pay for an hour of cleaning to my cleaners for this, should I let it go or try to recover the cost?

My first time posting on here.  Thanks for any feedback.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan4009I

I understand the "issues" are resolved know. If more (disputable) issues show up, you can propose to the guest a change of reservation (shortening), because the guest is clearly very unhappy with the accommodation. It is a diplomatic way of saying : shut up and behave, or find something else

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan4009  Personally I would cancel the rest of the guest's stay, but maybe wait to see if he comes up with more complaints. They have lied to you about the check in time, moved furniture around without permission, and sounds like he is going to be an ongoing pain to deal with. 

Never discount because a guest tells you it's beyond their budget. A guest's financial situation isn't your business and they should book a place they can afford. Guests who ask for discounts are almost always bad news. 

As for asking for reimbursement for an extra hour of cleaning, sorry, but why do you think just because it was in the laundry room, it's okay that there was a used condom under the couch there, or that it's okay for your cleaner not to move the furniture when she cleans so there aren't any dust bunnies? That isn't what I'd consider a clean house, either.

Try this number for CS in Canada if you haven't already: 647 945 9627

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Susan4009 I would definitely offer the guest a shortening of the stay. Be prepared to follow through. 

I would also investigate what the rules are in Calgary around tenancy rights, if you haven't already. In a lot of places in Canada, guests are considered tentants after a month, and if they are sketchy, you might not be able to get them out at the end of their stay. Many places even have eviction moratoriums due to Covid, which would further complicate getting rid of them. Proceed with caution. 

@Susan4009   I agree with @Sarah977  here - I've seen hundreds of horror stories from hosts that all begin with the guest asking for a discount instead of doing what a normal person would do and finding a place that fits their budget. With a request like that, you already know you have a grifter on your hands, so don't be surprised if their next move is to bully you into a refund. And be aware, Airbnb has only collected the first month's payment - which might cover just enough time to establish right-of-tenancy (depending on your local laws) and then squat your home indefinitely for free.

Perhaps it would be for the better if another problem comes up soon, to clear a path toward terminating this booking before it can come to that. 

Maggie-And-Jonas0
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I hope things did turn out well for you and your tenant. I have noticed tenants who usually start conversations with more than 3 unusual requests tend to be handful. 
take care