Issues with Resolution Request Debits Accounting Process

Kyle87
Level 2
Austin, TX

Issues with Resolution Request Debits Accounting Process

Many issues regarding resolution request debits (in the case where host pays the guest):
1) Because many hosts have more than one listing, resolution debits should apply to the PARTICULAR property it applies to, and follow that property's payout routing rules. Primary hosts might interact with a number of co-hosts. Why should I, as a co-host, get hit with the entire amount of a resolution debit for a property that I had nothing to do with, simply because it was the subsequent payout on the primary host's account? (That is, the payout immediately following a resolution debit).
It's then the primary host's responsibility to track down that payment, who it was debited from, reconcile the accounts manually such that the correct payout routing rules are in effect applied.

2) This becomes even more difficult because the transaction history of a resolution debit isn't associated with a particular reservation or listing in the ledger. We now need to audit our entire history, and doing so will be extremely time consuming because you literally can't search the transaction history for resolution requests. Note that I've given feedback previously for this to be an option, like an ability to filter the transaction history for resolution requests.

3) One additional problem the current process poses is that payout routing rules don't necessarily indicate a host/co-host situation. For example, we have managed rentals in which the property owner was one of the routing rules. Other listings, we manage as equal business partners, and not a host/co-host situation where the co-host is "serving" the primary host.

There are so many problems with Airbnb's current method of handling resolution accounting. Please fix this!! In a nutshell, proper accounting would dictate that payout routing rules and liability routing rules should be identical and associated with the specific property in question.

I understand are a few situations in which it makes sense for only the primary host to be debited/credited, and not co-hosts, but this brings about SOOOOO many more accounting issues, as you can see here.

23 Replies 23

Here is the other tweet: https://twitter.com/Lorrrrrrre/status/1450556863918002177?s=20

Please mob them! We need to get this fixed. Its been over 4 years since this post was created complaining. 

This is a big complaint by many hosts. Why is Airbnb not actively trying to resolve this as all payouts/refunds should follow the split payout method rules? This is such an elementary concept that creates massive accounting problems. Airbnb you need to do better than this. It is currently unacceptable. 

Mike911
Level 2
Houston, TX

Hi everyone,

I am an Airbnb Superhost that is managing 6 properties currently. I've been using the platform since 2017 and have been a Superhost since 2018. Some of the properties I have a split investment in and one I own 100%. For tax purposes we use different bank accounts to keep the accounting clean.

I just got off the phone with Airbnb on their Superhost Hotline with the same issue regarding resolution center payments and occupancy taxes. All we were told is the issue is "being worked on" as other hosts have complained about it as well. They didn't have a solution for us.

They just said that all resolution center payments and occupancy taxes will go to the default bank account. Even though we have multiple bank accounts linked to different accounts for some reason the taxes/resolution payments for all properties go to the default bank account.

But it appears to have been an issue since as far back as 2017 or event further based on the community posts I've been reading.

How is this issue not resolved by now? 

@Catherine-Powell Can we please get an update/response on this huge issue?

Doesn't seem like @Catherine-Powell cares to give an update. 🙂

She said that their team has been working with us offline to "clarify". They didn't offer any solution. Basically just told us that the resolution money/taxes collected are always routed to the default bank account on the main Airbnb account. You cannot route these payments to the other bank accounts linked to each listing. Causes a headache for accounting purposes.

Hi @Mike911,

Thanks you sharing your experience here. My understanding is the team has been working to clarify this with you offline. Please let me know how I can further assist you.

Also, I want to thank everyone else for their additional feedback on this. As always, your input is appreciated and this will help us evolve the platform.

Best,
Catherine

@Matt738 @Kyle87 @Justin381 @Lauren620 @Lisa5145 @Angela246 @Charlie34 @Antony14 

Hi again @Catherine-Powell ,

Thank you for your response to this issue. The Airbnb Superhost support team did reach out to "assist" with resolving the issue. However, after several days they told us "the resolution money & lodging tax collected are always routed to the default account." They provided no actionable solutions to our problem.

There needs to be a way to differentiate where the money goes between different listings on the same Airbnb account for tax purposes.

Based on what I've read on here and other forums, there are tons of hosts with several listings connected to different bank accounts.

What can be done to actually resolve this ongoing issue?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi @Mike911 

Thank you again for reaching out. I've asked the team to get back in touch with you to make sure we are tracking the issue and responding with what can be done to support you.

Many thanks,
Catherine

Hi again @Catherine-Powell!

I truly appreciate your engagement on this post. The team did reach back out but with the same results. They were unable to help.

We need a way to separate which bank account the lodging taxes are sent to for tax purposes. It's very inconvenient after each payout having to transfer funds around creating an accounting nightmare.

Is the team working on a solution for this?